Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What camera should I get?

I want to ask for a camera for Christmas and I was wondering what the best one to get would be. What do you guys recommend? I have also been thinking about upgrading the rest of my setup. What kind of lights do you guys recommend me getting? How many? Should I get a copystand? Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    My wishlist has a Digital Rebel on it.
  • Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    Nikon D50 with a Tamron 90mm macro lens...Mike
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    And you can get away with a tripod...Mike
  • Options
    And somehow convince your parents to buy it for themselves and let you borrow it, then ask for more coins for Christmas. image
  • Options
    alfalfaalfalfa Posts: 275 ✭✭
    Not to hijack the thread, but my wife wants a digital camera for her birthday (on the 12th) and I'd like to buy one that I could also use to take close up shots of currency/coins. I'm looking to spend about $400, butknow next to nothing about digital cameras. Any suggestions?

RJ
  • Options

<< <i>And somehow convince your parents to buy it for themselves and let you borrow it, then ask for more coins for Christmas. image >>

Thats what I do now and my Mom is getting pretty annoyed at me always having her camera! How much is the D50? I am looking for one that is less than $200. image
  • Options
    Dicky, I use a Sony 20X Precision Digital Zoom Steady Shot MVC-FD95 Mavica. It's a great camera for awesome close ups. Shove a floppy in takes about 5 coins both sides per floppy can always reformat the floppy after you load the picture into your computer after processing it, if you don't want to save the pictures on the floppy. I probably paid to much for it but I like the ease of the floppy into the camera to the computer. With this camera you don't need a stand as it has compensation built into the camera for a still picture every time. Has Auto or manual Focus also. I started out with a Mavica 75 not as much detail as the 95. The 75 had under 1 megapixel the 95 has 3 megapixel a lot better detail. If you can afford it go go for the Rebel it has 8 megapixel much better picture quality. But the price is about 3 times what the 95 sells for. Hope this helps. Mike.image
    Enjoying time at home with the family now is my full time passion.

rabbitracks toned showcase set
    myurl
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>And somehow convince your parents to buy it for themselves and let you borrow it, then ask for more coins for Christmas. image >>

Thats what I do now and my Mom is getting pretty annoyed at me always having her camera! How much is the D50? I am looking for one that is less than $200. image >>

Around $700. Hopefully someone with experience with non-SLR cameras will pipe up...Mike
  • Options
    I use a Sony Cybershot DSC-P73 camera and I couldn't be happier with it. I use it to take photos of all my collections and the ease of use, the quality, and the compact size of it is great for someone who is just getting into photography. I got it as a Christmas present last year, and I think I've seen it go for around $250-$300 so it's not THAT pricey.
    I collect the elements on the periodic table, and some coins. I have a complete Roosevelt set, and am putting together a set of coins from 1880.
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies guys.image
  • Options
    RNCHSNRNCHSN Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭
    I use a fuji-film S5000 and get some great shots with it in most circumstances.
  • Options

<< <i>Not to hijack the thread, but my wife wants a digital camera for her birthday (on the 12th) and I'd like to buy one that I could also use to take close up shots of currency/coins. I'm looking to spend about $400, butknow next to nothing about digital cameras. Any suggestions? >>

I have used the Olympus C7xx series for several years now. I had a C700 and then (now) a C720 and I think they are awesome. The automatic settings work great AND they have many manual settings for anyone with any photography experience. These two models are actually outdated now, but I'm sure there are great deals on C740 and whatever Cxx they've come up with since then. The key feature on these cameras is the OPTICAL zoom of 8X or more - usually 10X. They take really decent pics of coins.

Edit: Olympus SP 500 UZ looks like the current incarnation of the Ultra Zoom series - This looks like a very cool camera for less than $400 - Link to cool camera
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

$91 shipped. image

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    I have a question-- I was told that it really does not make a difference what camera you get. Good pictures are all in the set-up, lighting, etc.,etc.

As they say in golf when someone hits a bad shot, "it's not the tool, it's the fool." So are good pictures contingent upon the prep work, rather than the camera itself?
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    Well, after a lot of research I have chosen to get the Nikon D50 with two lenses (the kit 18-55 and another 55-200). And I'll put in a shameless plug, I'll be selling my Kodak Z740. image
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I have a question-- I was told that it really does not make a difference what camera you get. Good pictures are all in the set-up, lighting, etc.,etc.

As they say in golf when someone hits a bad shot, "it's not the tool, it's the fool." So are good pictures contingent upon the prep work, rather than the camera itself? >>

Essentially a true statement, but you do need to make sure that whatever camera you get has decent macro capabilities.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options

<< <i>I have a question-- I was told that it really does not make a difference what camera you get. Good pictures are all in the set-up, lighting, etc.,etc.

As they say in golf when someone hits a bad shot, "it's not the tool, it's the fool." So are good pictures contingent upon the prep work, rather than the camera itself? >>

Fundamentally, that's correct. But, you do need a camera with good macro capability and it's nice to have multiple white balance settings available.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    CRAP! I really need to enroll in a speed typing course!

Russ, NCNE
  • Options

Yes and no. The setup and quality of the camera can make a great difference but for the most part the differences are in how it is used. So in other words a person can make a great DSLR take crappy pictures or make fantastic pictures from a point and shoot.
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,708 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Thats what I do now and my Mom is getting pretty annoyed at me always having her camera! How much is the D50? I am looking for one that is less than $200. image >>

Around $700. Hopefully someone with experience with non-SLR cameras will pipe up...Mike >>

If you're willing to pony up $700 for a camara, just go another 2 or 3 franklins and get a digital SLR.
  • Options

<< <i>I use a fuji-film S5000 and get some great shots with it in most circumstances. >>

I have an S3000 and it STINKS for macro images! I have never been able to get a good coin image with it. Do you use a macro lense with yours? I'd like to get one but am afraid it would be a let down.
  • Options
    CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've used an Olympus C740 for a couple of years now, and have found it to be more than adequate for all coins. It has a 10X optical zoom, which is much more than most digitals.

It takes some experimentation to achieve the best results, so you need to understand what the various settings on the camera will do. A combination of the right camera, settings, and perhaps most importantly, lighting, can give you some great-looking pictures. The correct lighting will allow you to capture the detail, color, and luster so that it appears true-to-life. My most recent attempt was with my Buffalo nickels , and I'm pleased with all but maybe 1 or 2 of the pics.

Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • Options
    For those that already posted recommendations, which cameras listed do NOT have threads on the lens area to allow for attachments (for macro lenses or mounts for microscope ports)?
  • Options
    Well, the Z740 I mentioned has a threaded barrel for an adapter or filter. I've seen the threading on many point and shoots 5MP and higher.
  • Options
    carlcarl Posts: 2,054
    I noticed you said camera and not digital camera. Of course few people today buy film cameras, so you must have ment digital. My self I have 2 Sony Mavicas, the 7 and the 88. Both are great cameras for a cheap price but somewhat limited in photo quality and quantity. For normal shooting and if people want instant copies I always use the MVC88 because I can make copies of what I just shot right there with the camera and not have to run to a computer. I used this camera on a job site and shot well over 10,000 photos and no complaints of the quality. However, for very high quality and large quantities I use my Fuji S7000. It contains both a HD card and a Compact Flash card. They are both in the camera and can be switched back and forth between the two. With a 256 HD card and a 512 Compact Flash card I can take well over 1,000 photos at very high qualities. Great Macro and telephoto abiilities. Standard 55mm filter ring, ability to switch from eye piece to back shot. However, for great telephoto shots, can't beat the Mavical's 16X Zoom. Another item about either of them or similar cameras is not to have to carry spare lenses for different situations like the old fashion film type cameras although some do prefer this. I have about 15 film type cameras and just can't find a reason to use them anymore.
    Prices are dropping on all cameras for the holidays and buying one is like buying a car. Everyone has a favorite and for thier own reasons. All I can say is good luck on whatever you decide to buy.
    Carl
  • Options
    Forgot to mention if you want to get educated on cameras and associated equipment a great thing to do is to order a catalog from B&H. Largest supplier of photo equipment and cameras I know of.
    www.bhphotovideo.com or call toll free 1-800-290-6750
    If your lucky enough to be in New York it's 212-502-6340
    There are thousands of pages to their catalog and they also sell books on photography. Lenses, filters, cameras, stands, etc.
    Carl
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for the replies and thanks for the link Carl.
  • Options
    Any of the "big 3" are excellent: Nikon, Canon, or Olympus. Olympus has traditionally been the gold standard when it comes to compact cameras, but Nikon and Canon are catching up. For digital SLR's Nikon or Canon are the definite choice due to the quality of their lenses. (There's a reason why pros primarily shot with either Nikon or Canon.)

If you decide on a compact camera, you will need 2 essential features, manual white balance control, and macro capability. Most digital SLR's have manual white balance control and you will have to buy the macro lens separately.

You will get the best picture quality (due to better quality of the lens) with a digital SLR. But they are still too expensive for me and my 3-year old Olympus C-4000 is working just fine.

Best place to read reviews is here.

You can get by with an inexpensive lighting set-up. I use a cheap tripod and two desk lamps with 70-watt Reveal bulbs.
    Bill
  • Options
    Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭
    Brownie by Kodak
    millions of the out there just sitting in peoples houses
    pick one up for a song or two

Advisor Jim
    Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,799 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For $200 you should be able to get a Canon A80 (4 MP), an accessory filter adapter ($15) , a +2 or +3 close-up filter ($20), and a grey card ($5). Heck, maybe even more stuff like batteries and CF cards. The camera has good macro capabilities, but a close-up filter allows you to have better macro when the lens is zoomed so that the camera isn't in the way of the lights as much. Don't worry about microscope adapters. I hold the lens up to the eyepiece and it works very well. Once you become really good at getting pictures with a $200 setup fully capable of taking good pictures, you'll be able to justify moving up to something more spendy if that's what you want.
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,799 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Brownie by Kodak
    millions of the out there just sitting in peoples houses
    pick one up for a song or two >>

Just make sure it's one that uses 120 film.
  • Options
    TorinoCobra71TorinoCobra71 Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭
    Nikon CoolPix 4800.....

TorinoCobra71

• Options
    Canon PowerShot G6
  • Options
    Odd. I have 2 Kodak Brownies and they use 620 film, no 120. Is there a model I'm not aware of?
    Carl
  • Options
    FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭
    Olympus D-545

$174 from Walmart

$10 desk tripod

results:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8341367020

Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • Options

<< <i>Well, after a lot of research I have chosen to get the Nikon D50 with two lenses (the kit 18-55 and another 55-200). And I'll put in a shameless plug, I'll be selling my Kodak Z740. image >>

You will want a macro lens for that combo. Alternatively you can get a macro filter, but the quality of the shot will not be as good as a dedicated macro lens...Mike
  • Options

<< <i>I have a question-- I was told that it really does not make a difference what camera you get. Good pictures are all in the set-up, lighting, etc.,etc. >>

While true to a certain extent, once you get good at photography the camera can absolutely limit your ability to produce quality images. Cheaper cameras tend to have more noise, take less sharp photos, and sometimes don't support custom white balance which is the number two feature necessary behind macro capability.

Hope this helps...Mike
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Around $700. Hopefully someone with experience with non-SLR cameras will pipe up...Mike >>

If you're willing to pony up $700 for a camara, just go another 2 or 3 franklins and get a digital SLR. >>

The Nikon D50 is the lowest price DSLR in the Nikon line. It is simlar to the Canon Digital Rebel, which is slightly cheaper last time I checked...Mike
  • Options
    After seeing all the great pics on here I just bout a Minolta Z5. Focusses down to .4inch. Its got 5 megapixels and seems to take excellent pics. Just waiting for it to arrive and hopefully show off some pics when it does.
  • Options
    What I have learned from experience is that with the lesser quality cameras, you need to spend more time in something like Photoshop in order to get the image to look exactly like you want it to. With the better cameras, you need to spend a LOT less time post shoot than you do with the cheaper ones. (My camera, as much as I try, can not get the white balance correct in my shots. As a result, I need to spend a lot of time in Photoshop getting the balance just right. As a result, I've gotten quite good in Photoshop. image )

The most important thing is the setup, however. A proper setup will result in better quality images and an overall better photography experience.
    I collect the elements on the periodic table, and some coins. I have a complete Roosevelt set, and am putting together a set of coins from 1880.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file