Home U.S. Coin Forum

100 Point Grading Scale

bosoxbosox Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭✭
Let's just say that you are a TPG who has been in business 15 or 20 years. Maybe over that period you have mostly been been quite accurate with your grading, but occasionally you have had periods of very lax (easy) grading followed by "oh my god, we're losing credibility, let's be really stingy with grades". How do solve we solve the credibility issue and erase all of those previous miscues?

Let's completely change the grading scale and then everybody will submit their coins, including those pesky coins that were badly graded, for regrading under a new scale that nobody can associate with any previous scale. We can fix our mistakes then and make money while doing it.

Voila! We're off the hook!
Numismatic author & owner of the Uncommon Cents collections. 2011 Fred Bowman award winner, 2020 J. Douglas Ferguson award winner, & 2022 Paul Fiocca award winner.

http://www.victoriancent.com

Comments

• I don't want to do that. A AU58 will no longer be a AU58. AU58 has a ring to it and the coins are almost always decent. Besides, I ALREADY paid to have my coins graded once by PCGS. Whose going to pay for the second go around? Me and you? Or PCGS!!!

Jerry
  • ERER Posts: 7,345

<< <i>Let's just say that you are a TPG who has been in business 15 or 20 years. Maybe over that period you have mostly been been quite accurate with your grading, but occasionally you have had periods of very lax (easy) grading followed by "oh my god, we're losing credibility, let's be really stingy with grades". How do solve we solve the credibility issue and erase all of those previous miscues?

Let's completely change the grading scale and then everybody will submit their coins, including those pesky coins that were badly graded, for regrading under a new scale that nobody can associate with any previous scale. We can fix our mistakes then and make money while doing it.

Voila! We're off the hook! >>

Grading is subjective. You can have 70, 100, 500, or 1000 point scale. Do you honestly believe changing the scale is gonna "fix mistakes"?
  • Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    Sorry but your scenario doesn't have much merit. If they go to a 100 point scale, there will be a one-to-one mapping of the 70-point scale on to the 100-point scale (e.g. 60-70 will map directly to 90-100). They wil just be using fewer numbers than they currently use.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    Dollars are a 100 point grading system, and that's how coins really trade.
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • For discussion, let me quote Steve:

If they (the TPG services) go to a 100 point scale, there will be a one-to-one mapping of the 70-point scale on to the 100-point scale (e.g. 60-70 will map directly to 90-100).

That's not necessarily true. A 67 is 95.7% of the current max grade of 70; that is 67/70=.957. Assume that a group of 67s are "accurately" graded. I imagine that any TPG service will grade some of their 67s that are resubmitted as 95 and some as 96. (Others may even grade 94!)

Those that are "downgraded" will decrease in value, and that's when the hooting, howling and moaning will begin.

I don't see any value to collectors in changing the grading scale; it will lead to enormous confusion in the hobby. TPG services may increase their business in the short-run, but longer-run I believe it will badly hurt their business.

• topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What we need is "Mikey's Grading Service." MGS could then simply put "Mikey likes it" or "Mikey doesn't like it" on the slabs and go about our business.
  • CladiatorCladiator Posts: 18,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    100 Point Grading Scale = image
  • ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think this is one area that collectors and the ANA (which is supposed to represent the hobby) should come out strongly against. Going to a 100 point scale won't solve any of the problems of overgrading or undergrading as has been pointed out over and over. All it will do is create confusion in the hobby and create more opportunity for the TPG's to make money. I suspect most of the people who frequent these and other boards are more familiar with grading coins but there is a vast amount of collectors who are at the G, F, VF, XF level in terms of understanding grades and being able to grade at those levels. They either don't have the knowledge or the eye or just the desire to grade at finer levels.

Honestly the TPG's are somewhat shielded from grading errors or inconsistiencys because 'grading is subjective'. If they were able to be held truly accountable and it would be a financial burden to them if things were graded wrong and determined to be wrong by some sort of independent judging panel, they would be looking to go to maybe a 50 point or 30 point scale to reduce the margin of error.

Just some random thoughts. The current scale has worked for many years and is fine!

K
    ANA LM
  • Not that I support such a system, but referring to what Steve27 said, I think it is a direct mapping.
    Gerry's math is fine, but the new 100 point system is not a ratio scale in reference to the 70 point system.

I think there was a post by HRH that showed what the mapping between the two would be. It is very simple and each current grade has an assigned 100-point scale grade. All that happens is you take your 60 and call it a 90, your 65 and call it a 95, your AU58 and call it an 88. I don't think they will assign a AU99 just as they would not assign an AU59. There are plenty of inbetween grades that are not used now and they will not be used in the proposed system. I the lower circ grades, there are sections of number skipped to make up the difference.

The aspect of regrading fees and whether coins will be regraded or just assigned the corresponding grade are certainly worthy of discussion. As far as the sliding scale goes, the 100 point system is directly mappable to the 70.

My2Cents...
  • Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    " For discussion, let me quote Steve:"

Well you sucessfully quoted me, but you obviously didn't understand me. The 100-point scale will not use all 100 values, and thus mathematics you showed is wrong because of that fact.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Steve:

Sorry if I misinterpreted what you said. Ditto for you, ecos. Are you saying that if one submits their coins for reslabbing by a TPG service under a 100-point system, every MS67 will be automatically be converted to a MS97 and every MS66 will be automatically converted to a MS96, etc. etc.? In other words, there will be no regrades - only a direct translation?

Also, looking at submitting coins raw, does that mean that anything that used to be graded 67 will "normally" be graded 97?

If so, what is the point of going to a 100 point scale, at least for mint state graded coins? Just asking? Maybe there is something(s) I'm missing.

Also, Steve, what does this mean: They wil just be using fewer numbers than they currently use. There are 11 numbers from 60 to 70 and 11 numbers from 90 to 100???
  • Does anybody know where the ANA stands on all this?

Jerry

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file