Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

eBay Kwettun?? UPDATE

BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,021 ✭✭✭✭✭
Anyone ever get a TKO notice from eBay saying that they closed a listing [NOT authorize by you] to your account. I see my account has also been frozen, but they did say that they will provide info shortly to reaccess it.

I finally decided to try live help and the online help person was able to get me a password to log back in. my bidding, listing and member contact privileges were restricted. An online security tech was supposed to have reinstated my privileges, but hopefully they will do so soon and then I shud be good to go.
theknowitalltroll;

Comments

• Options
    BaronVonBaughBaronVonBaugh Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like your account was stolen. I had it happen to me once. I use a much more complicated password now. Lucky I caught it quickly and had them reset the password.
  • Options
    I got an innocent email asking how I wanted to receive payment. I had nothing up at the time but my daughter sometimes lists on eBay and has payments sent to my paypal account. I replied with an email addy to send to; guess that was the wrong thing to do. Not sure how eBay caught it but I'm glad they did. The supposed member was goodwill6 so BEWARE!!
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I receive the TKO notices almost daily. Send it to spoof@ebay.com so they can investigate and try to catch the dirtbag sending them.
    Fall National Battlefield Coin Show is September 5-7, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. Thanksgiving Battlefield Coin Show is November 29-30, 2024. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • Options
    Thing is I can't log into my eBay account!!
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    Does anyone have the 800 number for eBay? I will call them in a few days if I don't hear from them soon.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options

<< <i>Anyone ever get a TKO notice from eBay saying that they closed a listing [NOT authorize by you] to your account. I see my account has also been frozen, but they did say that they will provide info shortly to reaccess it. >>

This might be a phishing attempt. I have received about 5-6 emails saying that my account could be suppended or closed and that I should reenter "my information" to validate my account. It said if I didn't, my account would be closed. Souns like "they will provide info shortly" could be an attempt. Depends on how you were notified. One clue is if you log into eBay and there is a message in My eBay. This is the real one. If you received it through you email that you use when dealing with eBay, it might be fake. Below is a cop of an email I received from eBay whenI first got these emails. It outlines what you should and should not do. If it is an email, forward it to spoof@ebay.com and if it is valid, they will tell you what to do. If the original email is not from them, they will tell you. Read below for some helpful hints:

Hello,

Thank you for writing to eBay regarding the email you received.

Emails such as this, commonly referred to as "spoof" or "phished"
    messages, are sent in an attempt to collect sensitive personal or financial information from the recipients.

The email you reported was not sent by eBay. We have reported this email to the appropriate authorities.

In the future, be very cautious of any email that asks you to submit information such as your credit card numbers or passwords. If you are ever concerned about an email you receive from eBay, simply follow these
    steps:

1. Open a new Web browser and type www.ebay.com into your browser address field to go directly to the eBay site.

2. On eBay, sign into your account and click the "My eBay" button at the top of the page.

3. Check the My Messages section located at the top of the My eBay page.
    If an email affects your eBay account, it's now in My Messages. Any email sent to your registered eBay email address from eBay or from another eBay member via eBay's member-to-member communication system will now appear in My Messages.

Just remember, if you get an email to your registered eBay email address that looks like it's from eBay about a problem with your account or requesting personal information, check My Messages first. If it's not there, it's a fake email.

If you still have any doubt about whether an email message is from eBay, please forward it immediately to spoof@ebay.com. Do not respond to it or click any of the links. Do not remove the original subject line or change the email in any way when you forward it to us.

If you have already entered sensitive personal information, financial information, or your password into a Web site based on a request from a spoofed email, you should take immediate action to protect your identity and all of your online accounts. We have developed an eBay Help page with valuable information regarding the steps you should take to protect yourself.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/tp/isgw-account-theft-reporting.html

To review eBay's new tutorial about Spoof Emails, please see the following Web page:

http://pages.ebay.com/education/spooftutorial/

To help you better protect yourself from fake eBay and PayPal Web sites, we have developed a feature for the eBay Toolbar called "Account Guard."
    Account Guard includes an indicator of when you are on an eBay or PayPal Web site or a known spoof (or "phishing") site, buttons to report fake eBay Web sites, and a password notification feature that warns you when you may be entering your eBay password on an unverified site.

To learn more about the eBay Toolbar with Account Guard go to www.ebay.com, click on "Downloads" at the bottom of the page, and then click on the "eBay Toolbar" link.

Once again, thank you for alerting us to the spoof email you received.
    Your efforts help keep eBay a safe and fair place to trade.

Regards,

Ande
    eBay SafeHarbor
    Investigations Team

Important: eBay will not ask you for sensitive personal information (such as your password, credit card and bank account numbers, Social Security numbers, etc.) in an email. Learn more account protection tips
    at:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/confidence/isgw-account-theft-protection.html

The Last Boy Scout
  • Options
    They already have closed mine; I can't log into it. They referred to a specific listing that they [eBay] terminated/ended because it was made without my authorization. The email said they would send a followup email stating how to go about re-activating my account. When I sent the TKO email to spoof@eBay.com I did NOT get back the standard eBay autoreply about phishing.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options

<< <i>Does anyone have the 800 number for eBay? I will call them in a few days if I don't hear from them soon. >>

Heres a phone number that was posted a while back, not sure if its good but i wish you the best of luck.
    1-800-322-9266
  • Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,428 ✭✭✭✭
    Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info; good thing I don't really need the account at the moment.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    BUMPPOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭✭

Make your password a combination of letters and numbers. Supposedly that will help.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    They didn't guess what it was; I think I gave it to smoeone unknowingly. The email I got had the user ID of a legit seller {goodwill6} with over 8,000 positive feedbacks so I suspect he was duped as well. Apparently whoever accessed it tried to use it to list a Yamahahaha motorcycle. How eBay got onto him I have not a clue.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    Password and bidding, listing and member contact privileges are all restored. image

FWIW all problem resolution was accomplished thru online "live" help.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any eBay e-mail beginning TKO gets deleted without reading.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Any eBay e-mail beginning TKO gets deleted without reading. >>

The problem with that approach is that legitimate eBay eMails actually do use "TKO" in the subject line.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options

<< <i>The problem with that approach is that legitimate eBay eMails actually do use "TKO" in the subject line. >>

YEP, but then I guess you would realize that when you went to use your account and UH OH!! I can't login. Easiest just to save them in an email account set up for that purpose, then clean it out ever so awftun.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    Got another one a those TKO things recently; sent it to spoof@eBay.com and their reply is given below.

Hello,

Thank you for writing to eBay regarding an email message you received.

We have reviewed your report and have found that the message you
    received was made to appear as if it had been sent by an eBay user;
    however, it was not. All email sent to you from other members through
    eBay's email system will also appear in the My Messages portion of My
    eBay. If you get an email to your registered eBay email address that
    looks like it's from eBay or another eBay member asking a question,
    check My Messages first. If it's not there, it's a fake email.

Many of these fake emails contain a keystroke virus. If you clicked on
    any of the links in the email, you may have exposed your computer to
    this virus.

We are unable to determine if your computer is actually infected with a
    virus. If you have not already done so, you should seek out a virus
    scanner program to use on your system. I have included a few links below
    to get you started in this effort:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/alerts/default.mspx
    http://vil.mcafee.com/default.asp?
    http://www.f-secure.com
    http://www.cnet.com
    http://securityresponse.symantec.com
    http://netsecurity.about.com/b/a/013754.htm
    http://www.trendmicro.com/en/home/us/enterprise.htm

As always, it's a good idea to keep your virus scanner up to date with
    the most recent virus definitions. If you do not have a virus scanner,
    you can run a free virus scan on your computer at:

http://housecall.antivirus.com

Until you are certain that your computer is virus free, you should take
    caution in your computer use. In addition, we suggest that you never
    open an email or attachment from someone you don't know. You may need to
    contact your email provider to disable any automatic downloading
    settings. It is advised that you only download attachments in a secure
    setting where you have the ability to scan for viruses before actually
    opening the attachment. Please take this opportunity to learn about and
    protect your computer from viruses from some of the Web sites above.

To help you better protect yourself from fake eBay and PayPal Web sites,
    we have developed a feature for the eBay Toolbar called "Account Guard."
    Account Guard includes:

1. An indicator that shows when you are on an eBay or PayPal Web site or
    a known spoof (or "phishing") site.

2. Buttons to report fake eBay Web sites to us.

3. A password notification feature that warns you when you may be
    entering your eBay password on an unverified site.

To learn more about the eBay Toolbar with Account Guard go to
    www.ebay.com, click on "Downloads" at the bottom of the page, and then
    click on the "eBay Toolbar" link.

Once again, thank you for alerting us to the email you received. Thank
    you for your efforts to keep eBay a safe and fair place to trade.

Regards,

Ralph
    eBay SafeHarbor
    Investigations Team

If I only had a dollar for every VAM I have...err...nevermind...I do!! image

My "Fun With 21D" Die State Collection - QX5 Pics Attached
    -----
    Proud Owner of
    2 –DAMMIT BOY!!! ® Awards
  • Options
    And this is why eBay scares the heck out of me!
    Bill
  • Options
    How did you try logging into your eBay account? From the the link in the TKO (what the heck is TKO) notice you received?

Jonathan
    I have been a collector for over mumbly-five years. I learn something new every day.
  • Options

<< <i>They didn't guess what it was; I think I gave it to smoeone unknowingly. The email I got had the user ID of a legit seller {goodwill6} with over 8,000 positive feedbacks so I suspect he was duped as well. Apparently whoever accessed it tried to use it to list a Yamahahaha motorcycle. How eBay got onto him I have not a clue. >>

Just how do you give someone your password unknowingly? Methinks you have been phished before and once again.

Jonathan
    I have been a collector for over mumbly-five years. I learn something new every day.
  • Options
    Actually I have NEVER been phished before.

<< <i>I got an innocent email asking how I wanted to receive payment. I had nothing up at the time but my daughter sometimes lists on eBay and has payments sent to my paypal account. I replied with an email addy to send to; guess that was the wrong thing to do. Not sure how eBay caught it but I'm glad they did. The supposed member was goodwill6 so BEWARE!! >>

I got an official-looking email thru the eBay message system asking how I wanted to be paid. I had nothing up at the time BUT my daughter also lists items for auction on eBay and has her buyers use MY PayPal whenever possible BECAUSE its a personal account and incurs no fees. I answered back thru the eBay message system or so I thought with instructions to contact by email. It was this answering back that apparently allowed access to my account. Smoehow eBay caught wind of the unauthorized listing and froze the account; TKO'd it if you will. Hope this explains it better.

TKO is action taken by eBay to freeze your account to prevent access by unauthorized users which then includes you. They send YOU an email outlining their action.

<< <i>Just how do you give someone your password unknowingly? Methinks you have been phished before and once again. >>

You give it unknowingly when you reply to a legitimate-looking email from an eBay member who has over 8,000 positive feedbacks. Apparently this user was duped as well.
    theknowitalltroll;

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file