Home U.S. Coin Forum

Would you consider sending this 1885 Nickel to NCS?

DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
. . . . or just leave it be?

What's the verdict on NCS's success with nickel?

imageimage
Doug

Comments

• OuthaulOuthaul Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't know much about the series, but why NCS?
  • coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,484 ✭✭✭
    Doug, that depends....

On my monitor, at least, the golden toning looks like it might (and I strongly emphasize "might") be the type which is the result of a (nickel) coin which has already been dipped, improperly rinsed/neutralized and then re-toned.

I'd recommend showing it to a few experts and checking it out. If that is the case, I'd vote for having the toning removed and the coin properly neutralized. If, on the other hand, the toning is natural, I'd definitely leave it as is.
  • DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

The coin has some brown haze on the obverse, and is somewhat dull on both sides. Here are better pictures:

imageimage
    Doug
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is wrong that you need to send to NCS ? Is it PVC damage ? or you just don't like that toning or splotchy look ? I would leave it raw if it doesn't make the grade at PCGS. It has character image

<< <i>Doug, that depends....

On my monitor, at least, the golden toning looks like it might (and I strongly emphasize "might") be the type which is the result of a (nickel) coin which has already been dipped, improperly rinsed/neutralized and then re-toned.

I'd recommend showing it to a few experts and checking it out. If that is the case, I'd vote for having the toning removed and the coin properly neutralized. If, on the other hand, the toning is natural, I'd definitely leave it as is. >>

That's what I thought. It looks like it was dipped and not rinsed properly. Maybe the bigger pics can show you a little better about what I mean.
    Doug
  • MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>On my monitor, at least, the golden toning looks like it might (and I strongly emphasize "might") be the type which is the result of a (nickel) coin which has already been dipped, improperly rinsed/neutralized and then re-toned. >>

Methinks he has white balance issues. Check out how the normally grey color of the PCGS slab (easiest seen on the far left of the obverse shot) also has the golden toning. I'll bet he took the picture under incandescent lights with an outdoor white balance setting...Mike

p.s. that is a VERY well struck coin!
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
    Doug, the new images lead me to the same guess/conclusion - that shade, if true-to-life is not quite right for an original nickel coin of that type, and looks to be the result of re-toning from a dipping.
  • Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    not sure you could ever get it back to a natural 5c color.
    when nickel tones, its toned...for good.
    maybe i dont know a chemical trick that would work
    and pass muster in the grading room....
    i vote leave it as is.

Mike might be correct about the color balance, though I'll go with whatever Doug thinks it really looks like in hand.

My updated recommendation would be to send it to PCGS and ask that they check it out as having re-toned in the holder.

<< <i>Mike might be correct about the color balance, though I'll go with whatever Doug thinks it really looks like in hand.

My updated recommendation would be to send it to PCGS and ask that they check it out as having re-toned in the holder. >>

Yes, Mike is right. image I took the photos, put the coin up, and then loaded the pics in my computer. I I was too lazy to drag everything back out and reshoot! image
    Doug
    i wondered that too.
    was it white going into the slab?
    how old is the current holder?
    what grade did it get?

It's in an old green holder - MS64.
    Doug
  • topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What's the current grade? What are you intending to do with it? If it's a higher number you're after to sell the coin, go ahead. If it won't "grade", they won't do it. If it ...will... grade...or if it can be coerced into a higher number you have nothing to lose.
    EXCEPT
    It's now in a superior service holder and saleable AS-IS. Nickel can be a booger to mess with.

If it were MINE, I'd leave it alone or sell it if the color bothered me.

But, from what I've seen lately, some "miracles" can happen with conservation. (The desirability of the miracles is sometimes questionable, but the numbers can't lie can they?)

This is one reason I started a few years ago to swap out my copper and nickel stuff and go for the gold.
    (and some silver)

Edited to add that I just offed my 77 IHC in respectable "grade" but with a nasty carbon spotted feather. I can't say if the grunge was progressing but (as with my ex large cents in "red") I didn't like it any more.

Topstuf, I agree and would never dip nickel on my own. It doesn't dip like silver.

I intend on keeping the coin. I would like to see it properly conserved if possible. It has a nice strike (later die state), and appears to have good luster under the film.

If the improper dipping could be removed . . . it would have claims to a higher grade for sure. There are NO contact marks on this coin.

Doug
    topstuf- u r like 1 1/2 steps ahead of me. image

re grade. i was going to say a 4..or maybe they 2 or 3`d it?...
    a 4 seems pretty good really.

also, a good enough dip to restore the look of original
    would kill enough remaining luster to just give you a strong 4 most likely.
    but then, i dont know the grading curve on the series so...its whatever
    a buyer is willing to pay for some given grade.
  • topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, cutting to the chase, I like the coin. It's certainly rare enough. My personal choice, as I said, would be to sell it into this market and buy a more stable coin.
    But....keeping it.....still leaves you in a fair-ta-middlin situation. You have a rare attractive coin in a good holder that carries the grade guarantee.
    Not really a bad situation to be in.
    And, believe me, "conserved" nickel is ...NOT....stable. I had a situation with a ..think it was 19s...that changed within a few months.....to ....AWFUL.

Edited to add: I'm glad it's YOURS. Cuz with the price jump from 4 to 5 being enough to bring out greed in a preacher, the temptation could be really bad. But an 85 in 64 is a rare bird. Them things got USED! HARD!

<< <i>topstuf- u r like 1 1/2 steps ahead of me. image

re grade. i was going to say a 4..or maybe they 2 or 3`d it?...
    a 4 seems pretty good really.

also, a good enough dip to restore the look of original
    would kill enough remaining luster to just give you a strong 4 most likely.
    but then, i dont know the grading curve on the series so...its whatever
    a buyer is willing to pay for some given grade. >>

LOL! It wouldn't be the first time for me!
    Doug
    lol we all do it.
    gotta be in the game to win sometimes too. :-)

<< <i>Well, cutting to the chase, I like the coin. It's certainly rare enough. My personal choice, as I said, would be to sell it into this market and buy a more stable coin.
    But....keeping it.....still leaves you in a fair-ta-middlin situation. You have a rare attractive coin in a good holder that carries the grade guarantee.
    Not really a bad situation to be in.
    And, believe me, "conserved" nickel is ...NOT....stable. I had a situation with a ..think it was 19s...that changed within a few months.....to ....AWFUL.

Edited to add: I'm glad it's YOURS. Cuz with the price jump from 4 to 5 being enough to bring out greed in a preacher, the temptation could be really bad. But an 85 in 64 is a rare bird. Them things got USED! HARD!

image >>

No doubt about it! The jump from 4 to 5 is roughly $3k. It's enough to make anyone think about a crack-bath -- and send it in still wet . . .

Ouch on the 19-s. That's what bothers me about tinkering with nickel.
    Doug
  • I say yes. Nice coin.

• << <i>I say yes. Nice coin. >>

After reading what everyone said, you can see why I have much to learn! image
  • michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    well this is after the fact

do not send to ncs

leave it alone

get rid of................ sell this coin asap

and move on to other more thought out coin purchases

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file