Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Ok Vam Experts How about this 1878

This is a 1878 7tf ms63 pl rev 78,
It has the type II 2 Obv and the B2F Rev Missing Feathers..... so One would think it is a vam 197
But it has the die Gouge thru the IB of the Vam 131 on the obv and also a Big blob of metal in the Hair.
No Doubling That is Weird on a 78

So HELP

imageimage
imageimage
imageimage

Comments

• Options
    OneyOney Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭✭
    Hi Dave,

My coin, 1878 7TF, has the same characteristics. It is a VAM 83, High 1. If you look at the first 1 in tha date it is noticably higher than the rest of the numbers. The other characteristics evidentally do not play in the identification. I could be mistaken.

Nice coin! image

Brian
    Brian
  • Options
    BIGDAVEBIGDAVE Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭
    Brian
    it can not be a vam 83 it has a type II2 obv and a B2 Rev short center arrow

And NO doubling on the coin at all

• Options
    Oops. Jumped too quickly to a conclusion. Sorry Dave. Is the r in trust broken?
    Brian
  • Options

The R is not Broken ,The D is not Broken

There is No doubling it is a B2 F Missing Feathers Rev No other problem on the Rev

Look on Page 157 vam 131 That is the IB Die Gouge But it is Not A B2A Rev...

• Options
    Just trying to help Dave, B2F reverse can also be missing the R in TRUST. Perhaps a better photo of the complete coin would help....
    Brian
  • Options
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,799 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Check the 185s and 186s for the gouge through the IB, because I'm pretty sure it's one of them. I'm going to say 185B right now, bit I don't have any notes in front of me to verify this.
  • Options
    John
    The 185 and 186 have the Broken R
    This one is not Broken
  • Options

<< <i>Check the 185s and 186s for the gouge through the IB, because I'm pretty sure it's one of them. I'm going to say 185B right now, bit I don't have any notes in front of me to verify this. >>

According to Leroy's 7TF Attribution Guide:
    VAM-195 - II 2 Diagonal line thru B in LIBERTY.
    -B²e bottom of D in Dollar broken away. R in Trust not broken.

If I only had a dollar for every VAM I have...err...nevermind...I do!! image

My "Fun With 21D" Die State Collection - QX5 Pics Attached
    -----
    Proud Owner of
    2 –DAMMIT BOY!!! ® Awards
  • Options
    MAD4MORGANS

Nope D is intact

It looks like Vam 131 Line thru I B But it has the wrong Reverse
  • Options
    The line thru lower I and B look exactly like the obverse photo of Liberty in Leroy's attribution guide photos for the VAM-195.

The VAM-131C II 2 also shows this same die scratch in I and B of LIBERTY. The attribution guide mentions:

131C II 2 - B²a - (Die Scratch Thru IB)
    -Obverse II 2 - Heavy diagonal scratch thru B and bottom of I in LIBERTY. Faint partial incuse n next to neck from reverse "In" on some specimens.

-Reverse type B²a - Normal ReverseLater type B reverse, with shorter center arrow shaft and die chips around R and U in TRUST. Eagle's wings show at least 6 different states of over polishing where field shows thru.

There is no mention about broken or non-broken letter Ds in VAM-131C or tther VAM 131 types. Therefore I would assume the D is intact.

The VAM 197 you mentioned earlier (B²f reverse) has ALL the feathering polished away while yours is not fully polished away. Rule this one out.

I believe your Morgan is a VAM-131C.

-----
    Proud Owner of
  • Options
    You mentioned earlier...<<No Doubling That is Weird on a 78>>

The doubling is more frequent on the II/I reimpresssed die obvereses.

-----
    Proud Owner of
  • Options
    I agree with the 131 c attribution image
    steve

myCCset
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,799 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>John
    The 185 and 186 have the Broken R
    This one is not Broken >>

I guess I didn't read far enough into the thread. R sort of looked broken in the first picture. I concur with the 131C attribution, then.
  • Options
    I Thank you allimage
  • Options
    CalGoldCalGold Posts: 2,609 ✭✭
    Dave, I am not a VAM guru, but I think the B2f reverse looks like this:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file