Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Essential books for US gold collectors

Could you give your top 3 books for someone interested in collecting US gold? More titles is fine if you can prioritize them.

Thanks,

Joss
"The greatest productive force is human selfishness."
Robert A. Heinlein

Comments

• Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most books are specialty books. A good start would include:

Bowers' Red Book of Double Eagles
    Bowers/Winter's book on $3 gold coins
    Bowers History of US Gold Coins
    Any Doug Winter book on branch mint gold coins (I especially like the Carson City and Dahlonega books--link).

If you PM me your address, I will send you a copy of The Connoisseur's Guide to United States Gold Coins. by Doug Winter.
  • Options
    DaveGDaveG Posts: 3,535
    In addition to the Red Book (which you've ordered), I'd also get Scott Travers' "Coin Collector's Survival Manual". (It's the book I wish I had read when I first got back into collecting.)

Other than that, as RYK said, US gold coin books are denomination/series/mint specific, so, for example, a book on Carson City gold coins wouldn't be of any interest to me, because I don't collect them.

Bowers did a "coffee table" book on US gold coins that's pretty general and David Akers did a series of books on US gold coins about 20-25 years ago that's still useful.

Perhaps you can tell us more about what you'd like to learn about and we can suggest some titles.

Check out the Southern Gold Society

• Options
    JDelageJDelage Posts: 724 ✭✭
    I think I'd like to focus on no motto coins. I tend to like larger coins more than smaller ones, but I need to research that some more.
    Robert A. Heinlein
  • Options
    (Presuming you mean no-motto Coronet gold coins, minted between 1838 and 1865)

No-motto Coronet gold coins are, to me at least, fascinating pieces of history, because these coins actually circulated, unlike the with-motto coins of the 1880s and 1890s, which saw little circulation. These coins aren't common, but fortunately, most collectors only buy one or two for their type set, leaving more for us! With the exception of a few dates, most of these coins aren't generally available in MS or even high AU grades, so you'll have to learn to like AU-55 and lower grades. Plus, sophisticated no-motto collectors usually prefer their surfaces "original", so you'll want to look at a lot of coins in person so you can decide on what "look" you like.

After you've read all the articles on Doug Winter's website, you'll want to look at the population reports put out by the grading services to get an idea of what grades/populations are out there (NGC's is available free on their website). You may also want to look at the Southern Gold Society's website.

As far as books go, Doug Winter has written the books on southern and CC gold, but only David Akers has covered the P-mint and S-mint coins (except for Winter's article on S-mint coins) and his books are by denomination and are expensive.

Personally, I buy all my coins at coin shows, because I like to look at the coin before I buy it. I've found that with no-motto coins, there's such a wide variation of "quality" in slabs that I reject far more coins than I buy. I can only imagine that if I bought on eBay or from mail-order dealers that I'd spend a ton of money returning coins. You'll have to decide what works for you, whether you buy at shows or through the mail.

You'll also want to learn how these coins are priced, as there's usually a very wide spread between Grey Sheet Bid (the Coin Dealer's Newsletter, the leading wholesale price guide) and Coin World's "Coin Values" (the leading retail price guide). Obviously, you can't pay full retail for a coin and expect to be able to sell it at anything other than a significant loss for perhaps several years.

• Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    This is all great advice, especially the books listed by RYK and DaveG. I don't think I can add anything else.
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    mhammermanmhammerman Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭
    Essential books

A Handbook of 20th-Century United States Gold Coins 1907-1933
    David W. Akers
    (Heavily illustrated with a description of every mm and date for both indians and St. Gaudens double eagles)

United States Gold Coins An Illustrated History
    Q. David Bowers
    (Out of print but it can be found)

Coin Grading and Counterfeit Detection
    PCGS

Before you let go of your buks, you should bone up on the specific literature you want. The above are required reading before you reach for your wallet. I have found that J.J. Teaparty has nice books but I'm sure there are other folks that have them too. Also, go to some shows and hold some raw coins and go over every bit of every one with a loupe until you know what you are looking at. Visit a dealer or two (brick and mortar) and let them show you what they know by you picking out a couple of nice items and they will try and sell them to you...it's kinda fun. You will appreciate this advice after you see the prices on the nice ones.
  • Options
    elwoodelwood Posts: 2,414
    The Bass Auction catalogues are very informative.
    Please visit my website prehistoricamerica.com www.visitiowa.org/pinecreekcabins
  • Options
    You might also like these articles. I wrote them a few years ago and I think they're a good introduction to US gold coins.

If you have an interest in southern gold, particularly Dahlonega gold, Gold Rush Gallery has some good articles, too.

Also, Brooklyn Gallery has discounted prices and fast service for books and supplies (although their website is a bit clunky).

edited to add: If you look for the PCGS Official Grading Guide (as mhammerman suggests), I'd recommend the first edition, which is much larger (hence bigger pictures) and, I think, has more pictures.

• Options
    JDelageJDelage Posts: 724 ✭✭

<< <i>(Presuming you mean no-motto Coronet gold coins, minted between 1838 and 1865) >>

I was really thinking of all and any no motto gold.

<< <i>After you've read all the articles on Doug Winter's website, ... >>

Where would I find those?

Thanks,

JD
    Robert A. Heinlein
  • Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    necessities for gold coin collectyors as per the below

Bowers/Winter's book on $3 gold coins

all the david akers books on gold coins

all the bass gold cats you can look at them for free online

all the breen monographs on gold coins around like 40 or so years ago

• Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bowers on $3 gold.

B&M Bass sales.

B&M Eliasberg gold (1982).

I sense a theme here........

Just to even things out, let's add the Ford sales to cover gold medals, and the Akers book on gold patterns.
  • Options
    pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As someone else mentions and if you want a broad brush history on U.S. gold coins I'd recommend Bowers United States Gold Coins: An Illustrated History. Once you decide on exactly what you want to collect you can find books that specialize in that particular type.
    The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file