Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Can any large cent expert tell me the sheldon #? large pics

Comments

• Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm by no means an expert, but I have some catalogs with nice big pictures. image The closest coin I could find was S-163, based on the location of the top of the hair against LIBERTY on the obverse, and the close leaf next to the D of UNITED. In the Wes Rasmussen collection which sold in January, this variety was listed as R-4.

I'll couch that with the fact that there are a TON of varieties for this date, and I easily could have overlooked a closer match. There are others here who are much better than this than I am, I'd wait to see their opinions as well.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    Rob41281Rob41281 Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭✭✭
    thanks for your help, anyone else see anything different?
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Condor should be able to answer this. I would have to search for a reasonable reference to help (the Sheldon book is difficult, auction catalogs work better)
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageimage

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    I concur, S-163.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file