Home Metal Detecting
Options

It's not that old, but it is GOLD!!!

Found today on one of my fields that I have been searching. I don't have a clue as to how it got there, but I'm glad it ended up where I was walkingimage

It was the last thing I dug today. I kept telling myself I needed to go, but I wanted one more good signal. Here she is.

It is a class ring from Albany. I assume that it is Albany, NY. The date is 1953. On the inside of the ring is HJ10K. I'm assuming this is 10 karat gold. Is the HJ for the jeweler or something else?

Thanks!!!!
Speer34

imageimageimage

Comments

• Options
    HJ usually stands for color rating. I thought it was for diamonds but I'm not sure.
  • Options
    Gold is gold is gold!! Nice ring!

Northern California
    Minelab Sovereign GT with 180 meter and Sunray probe.
  • Options
    Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet Speer!!Congrat's on the gold,the first pic make's it look silver,but not that seconed oneimage

It is gold,HJ could be the guy's initial's???HH,Tom
  • Options
    Purple73Purple73 Posts: 2,016
    Dude........you are hot! Nice finds man!

PURPLE!
  • Options
    Thanks Purple. I think I will hit that field again tomorrow--especially around the area where I found the ring. I wonder if there is anything else she lost? I should have left the field about 20 minutes or so earlier, but I wanted one more good signal. I'm glad I waited.
    Speer34

imageimageimage
  • Options
    WOOHOOO!!!! Nice dig Scott!!! That didn't take ya long!

My first gold ring which was 10K as well but not as nice as yours, came in VTH I
    Link

Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    phutphut Posts: 1,087
    Two rings in three days..... Very nice!!image
  • Options
    Nice job speer34...that's a sweet ring!
    I lust for silver.
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    hughesm1hughesm1 Posts: 778 ✭✭
    Nice find Speer34! I think the HJ is a jeweler's mark. If they were initials, with a little research you could probably trace the original owner down.
    Mark
  • Options
    Thanks all. The owner's initials are on the inside--I am trying to track the owner down without much luck. I have searched Albany schools (both high schools and colleges) but I'm not getting any hits with an Indian as the mascot. The gold piece on top of the stone appears to have an Indian with the name ALBANY below it. It's probably impossible to tell it from the pic I have put on here, but it is there.
    Speer34

imageimageimage
  • Options
    You have been Killing 'em lately speer! Good job!
    For the world to know the truth
    There can be no greater proof
    Than to live the life, live the life
    There's no love that's quite as pure
    There's no pain we can't endure
    If we live the life, live the life
    Be a light for all to see
    For every act of love will set you free
    -M.W. Smith

• Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭

<< <i> I wonder if there is anything else she lost? >>

Could be she lost something very dear to her that day/night....image We'll never know.

Great find!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    laserartlaserart Posts: 2,255

<< <i>Nice find Speer34! I think the HJ is a jeweler's mark. If they were initials, with a little research you could probably trace the original owner down. >>

I found a class ring at the city dump in Danbury Ct. years ago. I did a little detective work and found the girl that owned it. She didn't even know it was missing and she wanted to know how I got it. I told her how and she didn't believe me. I went to her house and handed it to her where she promptly closed the door without even a thankyou.
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".
  • Options
    Laserart,

You can feel comfortable knowing that you did your part. I'm sure it will probably make you think twice if you ever find another class ring again, huh?
    Speer34

imageimageimage
  • Options
    laserartlaserart Posts: 2,255
    Oh, I dunno, I'd probably do it all over again. Everybody can't be like that snooty young lady.

My son found a gold watch, solid gold. It is an American Express Gold watch with a jewed stem and gold band, worth about 5K. He found it on a beach, an eyeball find. It began to rain and then as the sky really opened up everybody started snatching up towels and blankets and everything else. As he started to run a glint of gold caught his eye and he grabbed it on the run. It has a serial number on it and I am 99% positive the owner could be found, but we're reluctant to try because if it was reported as stolen rather than lost it could be a hassle.
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".
  • Options
    I can understand your position. I don't have a clue as to what I would do.
    Speer34

imageimageimage