Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Poll: Should I go to a 2 day tax conference in DC, or sneak out on the 2nd day and go to the Decemb

Here is the dilemma I am facing. There is an international tax conference in DC which runs on December 8-9. It fits in perfectly with my job and I can easily attend the conference. I don't think I need to tell everyone how interesting these conferences are, and how enjoyable it is to sit in a ball room for two days filled with weenies who dress poorly and have the personality of a brass door knocker.

Much to my delight, I realized that the December Baltimore coin conference is December 7-9. I believe that Baltimore is about an hour north of DC. I don't think I need to tell everyone how interesting these conferences are, and how enjoyable it is to sit in a ball room for two days filled with weenies who dress poorly and have the personality of a brass door knocker.

I am leaving it to the board to tell me whether I should attend the tax conference, or whether I should just go to the coin conference, or whether I should do both, and sneak out of the tax conference on Day 2 and go to Baltimore for the coin conference. Also, if anyone is familiar with the DC area, how difficult is it to get from DC to Baltimore (assuming that I don't have a car). Is there a train that runs between the two points? Any other advice would be appreciated.
Always took candy from strangers
Didn't wanna get me no trade
Never want to be like papa
Working for the boss every night and day
--"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)

Comments

• Options
    "I don't think I need to tell everyone how interesting these conferences are, and how enjoyable it is to sit in a ball room for two days filled with weenies who dress poorly and have the personality of a brass door knocker."

It's easy by train, bus, car, or taxi. Go to the show for at least a FEW hours image
  • Options
    Anyone who can't make this decision without the help sounds like a weenie to me.image
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do both. Rest a car and drive up. It will take you an hour. Easy decision, IMO.
  • Options
    Do you really need to ask?
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    JulianJulian Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭
    The show is open to the public on 12/9-11. You will have ample time to complete your professional work and come to the show in Baltimore late Friday and attend the event all day on Saturday.

No conflict at all and your clients get the full benefit of your attendance at the tax conference.
    PNG member, numismatic dealer since 1965. Operates a retail store, also has exhibited at over 1000 shows.
    I firmly believe in numismatics as the world's greatest hobby, but recognize that this is a luxury and without collectors, we can all spend/melt our collections/inventories.

eBaystore
  • Options
    The show is open to the public on 12/9-11. You will have ample time to complete your professional work and come to the show in Baltimore late Friday and attend the event all day on Saturday. No conflict at all and your clients get the full benefit of your attendance at the tax conference.

Julian, in theory, you are correct. However, since his wife will kill him if he is not home by Friday night, his clients (employer) will not benefit from his attendance at the seminar, and his benefit from attending the coin show will be literally short-lived. image
  • Options
    capecape Posts: 1,621
    hi longacre i do the super bourse on thurs through sat ,i do notice on saturdays many bourse dealers that travel tend to leave early on saturday therefore if you could cut out of your seminar on friday i would because baltimore is a great show. good luck ed r
    ed rodrigues
  • Options
    PistareenPistareen Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    Longacre:

No brainer. You better come to the coin show and introduce yourself at the ANR table.

If you want directions on how to take public transportation from your conference in DC to the convention center, PM me and I can tell you exactly how. It's a piece of cake via Amtrak, MARC train, or a combo of Metro, MARC, and cab. The train runs out of DC to BWI airport, and light rail runs from BWI to right in front of the convention center, or Baltimore's Penn Station is a few dollar cab ride from the show. By car, it's an hour unless you leave between 3 PM and 6:30 PM, then it's 90 mins from downtown DC. You have no excuse not to get there.

The board has spoken.
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Julian, in theory, you are correct. However, since his wife will kill him if he is not home by Friday night, his clients (employer) will not benefit from his attendance at the seminar, and his benefit from attending the coin show will be literally short-lived. image >>

My thoughts, exactly. image
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options

<< <i>"I don't think I need to tell everyone how interesting these conferences are, and how enjoyable it is to sit in a ball room for two days filled with weenies who dress poorly and have the personality of a brass door knocker." >>

So, Longacre, what you're telling us is, other than the ball room, there is no difference between the tax conference and the coin show?image
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    If you attend the Baltimore show, your expenses for the day will not be tax-deductible as a business expense, as established in IRS v. Stahlsmith (963 F.2d at 437). I thought I'd let you know in case it's part of the material covered on the day you skip out of the conference. image

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    mhammermanmhammerman Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭
    This is a no-brainer...go to the conference, sign in, get a badge, sit in the back, listen to the first presentation...poof! Come back for the 3:30 and all's well. Then you can sit in the back and play with your new toys.
  • Options
    No brainer. You better come to the coin show and introduce yourself at the ANR table.

Pistareen has spoken! You better go to the show now, dude.
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmmm, anyone can attest to the fact that I am probably one of those weenies who dress poorly and have the personality of a brass door knocker who usually sits at those conferences.

But Longacre, did you see the price of that conference? That would really interfere with a coin budget. I am not going. There are alternatives.

I will be at the Baltimore show the 9th of December instead but will be there in the late morning to mid afternoon..

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    don't waste travel on conferences. Do some DVD's at home and go to the coin show.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    kranky:If you attend the Baltimore show, your expenses for the day will not be tax-deductible as a business expense, as established in IRS v. Stahlsmith (963 F.2d at 437). I thought I'd let you know in case it's part of the material covered on the day you skip out of the conference.

Your interpretation if Longacre attends the conference until noon. Leaves early to go home or go to the coin show? Normally you can also get an outline to see if you are missing anything important or relevant. Usually the last 1/2 day of a 2 day seminar especially on a Friday afternoon is the weakest part of the seminar series.

Longacre: This seminar ends on Friday at 5pm? I thought it ended earlier on Friday anyway?

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    JulianJulian Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭
    Longacre, please have your wife email me for an explanation of why you will not be home until Sat. evening. I am sure that she will understand.
    PNG member, numismatic dealer since 1965. Operates a retail store, also has exhibited at over 1000 shows.
    I firmly believe in numismatics as the world's greatest hobby, but recognize that this is a luxury and without collectors, we can all spend/melt our collections/inventories.

eBaystore
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>"I don't think I need to tell everyone how interesting these conferences are, and how enjoyable it is to sit in a ball room for two days filled with weenies who dress poorly and have the personality of a brass door knocker." >>

So, Longacre, what you're telling us is, other than the ball room, there is no difference between the tax conference and the coin show?image >>

I'm glad somebody said it! image
    Time sure flies when you don't know what you're doing...
    My Web Sites
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All I am reading here is how taxing it is to look at knockers...

I disagree...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file