Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

How important is timing when you sell/purchase??

I have been wondering about how important is timing when you purchase or sell an item? I don't mean sniping, I mean, the best time to purchase or the best time to sell. Simplistically I have noticed that most sellers list their cards on eBay to close early evening on Sunday, PST. Going one step further, are there actual seasons when you can get higher prices or better availability of cards to purchase? Is baseball season the best time to buy/sell baseball cards or just sell and out of season to buy? I guess you can use the same idea for other sports. Is right before or right after the National Convention going to have much of an effect? Are there certain weeks/periods to avoid either selling and/or buying? Conversly, are their certain weeks/periods to make sure to try and sell or buy?

I though I would pose this to the collective wisdom of the board. Personally I don’t know and it would be interesting what those who sell many items and those who purchase many items feel.

Dave C.

Comments

• Options
    I am waiting to sell a ton of basketball cards untill the season starts just to see if there will be more action. But, the cards are all of retired players so why even bother to wait??? image
  • Options
    For anything other than the high end items I would think selling during that season will help with your sale as well as buying on off season helps you get a better deal. For example when Bonds McGwire and Sosa were going after home run records their prices soared since veryone was on the band wagon. Last years NBA playoffs had Wade's cards become suddenly hot. Dale Earnhardt collectibles flooded ebay within minutes of his death. The examples are endless.

As far as listing you want the auction to end when the majority of people can bid. That would usually mean a Sunday night between 6pm to midnight. The same way when bidding early mornings you may get a better deal when buying since less people are online. With snipping services that won't happen as often as before though.

Again for anything highly sought after timing isnt nearly as big a thing as the normal everyday collections.

That is my opinion.
  • Options
    Been discussed many times. And you'll find anyone can justify any time, any day, any season as the best based on their own experiences. So here are my justifications of what's best for me...

Personally, as a mid-volume seller on ebay, Sunday night 9-10 EST endings are most profitable for me. Long weekend holiday endings are the worst. Weeknights are so-so, depending on the merchandise, and Friday and Saturday nights are bad.

Best deals to find as a buyer are during mid day (although you still have competition with snipers) anytime before 7-8:00 EST, while the west coast is still at work, or early in the morning before they wake up. I've bought plenty of cards during the day solely based on expectation that they will sell for more if ending on a Sunday night, and am probably 99% successful.

Seasons don't seem to matter much for me (selling mostly vintage) but I'd imagine it matters a lot more for modern stuff when certain players are having big years, interest grows, values increase etc. A lot of modern stuff relies on capitalizing a player's season before he tanks it the following year. Obviously, this doesn't apply to the superstars, but anyone buying Derek Lowe, Adrian Beltre, Sammy Sosa, Palmeiro etc etc cards in recent years can attest.

For buying PSA cards, I find end of months often provide better pickings and more for sale - possibly as people are getting monthly special submissions back and up on ebay. Conversely, as a seller, early/mid month often seems better to list my PSA cards, as supply seems more limited and we seem to get more interest.

The Sunday night thing is interesting because everybody really wins, if that's possible. A lot of merchandise ending and a lot of potential buyers looking. I believe this produces the most "accurate" prices - generally buyers aren't going to overpay because there are 5 other identical cards ending the same night, and conversely the buyer is not going to get any great deals because there are 10 other people looking and bidding on the same auction.
  • Options
    ejguruejguru Posts: 617 ✭✭✭
    Great comments DG; I really agree with you on all of them. As an occasional seller, I love the 10 day Thursday - Sunday (even with the .40 charge). I think it puts the item(s) in front of many more people--one bid is all that needs to come from it to make the .40 fee worth it. As a buyer, everything I am serious about, I snipe, so auction ending day/time is irrelevant. I guess as a seller, the key is making sure the item is seen. As a collector/buyer I want to make sure I don't MISS an item. It is just important to have a good title line with keywords that are used in searches--PSA, MT, MINT, HOF, etc. If the times are perfect but your title prevents the item from coming up in searches, the buyers can't bid.
    "...life is but a dream."

Used to working on HOF SS Baseballs--Now just '67 Sox Stickers and anything Boston related.
  • Options
    I agree with the comments above. For me, as a seller, I maximize the amount of folks viewing the auctions by starting them on a Sunday evening (9-10pm ET) so that I can some initial viewing that same evening and the 'search e-mails' come out Monday morning with my items on there. This way, you get the entire work week and the full weekend to have folks watch your items and hopefully bid them up.

As stated, as a buyer, I use sniper software which eliminates the need to track the time and hope that I don't miss out on a chance. Yet, you don't bid so that others can 'shill' bid the amount up. I use www.bidnapper.com and it's been great for me! Less than $50 and you have unlimited sniping all year round. image
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards
  • Options
    OK, great thoughts. Let me go one further...are any of the eBay extras (more pictures, feature, box, etc. etc.) worth the price in getting more and higher bids?
    Dave C.
  • Options
    Like anything else, it really depends. My thoughts...

I host my own pictures and if you do a lot of listing, it's worth it to pay for the domain and server and be able to add as many pictures as you want for free. Pretty easy to figure your break even point there. Anything other than single, graded cards usually do better with at least 2 pictures. Never discount the value of as many pictures as possible - it creates a more honest sale. Buyers will know if you don't scan something for a reason. Never try to hide behind a few pictures.

Anything under $50, I generally don't use any of the other add-ons. Especially if your selling a specific card, particularly a graded card, and the title contains exactly what someone looking for that particular card would search for, it's a waste of money. i.e. I'm selling a "1971 Topps PSA 7 Nolan Ryan" to the guy who's searching for something in that title. And he'll see maybe a page or two of them depending on how broad the search, know they are all the same, and bid on price. I'm not trying to catch the random browser's eye on items like that.

For individual cards or lots or sets where I'm up over $50 and the description has keywords that would come up in broader searches (1955 Topps Lot of 10 PSA 7 NM), and those are the buyers I'm targeting, I may add bold and/or gallery picture. I want to catch all the 55 searchers and the PSA searchers and the Lot searchers and the NM searchers. And each of those is a pretty big search, so standing out w/bold and gallery picture seems to help.

Anything up over a few hundred, I've used the border and/or highlight for the same reasons. They really stand out nicely.

I've never paid for feature plus or whatever it's called, to get the listing locked at the top of a page before any others. I think it's really a waste. If you've got a big price item, the people who will buy it are usually looking for it in the first place - you're most likely not going to catch someone's eye who will say "well I was really looking for some 1978 commons, but that $5000 Clemente PSA 8 at the top of my screen, gimme that!".
  • Options
    Thanks, great advice and a great help.
  • Options
    sagardsagard Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭

<< <i>
    I've never paid for feature plus or whatever it's called, to get the listing locked at the top of a page before any others. I think it's really a waste. If you've got a big price item, the people who will buy it are usually looking for it in the first place - you're most likely not going to catch someone's eye who will say "well I was really looking for some 1978 commons, but that $5000 Clemente PSA 8 at the top of my screen, gimme that!". >>

Featured plus can be VERY useful. They usually have a half price sale in the summer and I try to blow out a "collection" using the featured plus. I've done this the last three summers and by throwing in some PSA graded cards I have done far better in both time and money than I would have breaking every thing up into $1-$4 sales.

The other time I was happy with using it was when I was selling off my big ticket Puckett collection items. I featured a Puckett/Jones autograph and then revise the auction to contain links to my other dozen or so Pucketts and did extremely well with the prices. I don't know for sure the "featured" made a big difference there, but it sure felt like it did.

I do agree that "featured" on a $5000 Clemente is just putting $20 into Ebay's pockets.
  • Options
    IN past years I put up high end sets in December thinking someone would "honor dad" and buy him
    a set...but I think instead you get people thinking they can get any set for $40 just because
    the card shop in the mall sells late 80s sets for that price.
    ebay:1967topps
    1967 Topps baseball wantlists (any condition) welcome. #14 ATF 1967 set. Yet another collector like skylaneflyer, gimel1 who made it to the completion of 1967 only to need the money more than the company of 609 close friends.
    Looking for 1967 Mets, yankees, and 1968 Tigers in PSA 7 and Venezuelan Norm Cash stuff