Home Sports Talk
Options

Who will win the NL MVP?

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/index

ESPN sportsnation Poll (lower right hand corner) results so far:

Andruw Jones - 55%
Derek Lee - 13%
Albert Pujols - 32%

As great as Albert Pujols has been, I would have to agree that Andruw Jones has meant more to the Braves. Again this year the pundits said the Braves had no chance to make the post-season.

Comments

• Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Again, I post this -

Team Leaders
    BA Marcus Giles .302
    H Marcus Giles 155
    2B Marcus Giles 43
    3B Rafeal Furcal 10
    HR Andruw Jones 46
    RBI Andruw Jones 118
    R Marcus Giles 93
    SB Rafael Furcal 39
    BB Andruw Jones 61
    OBP Chipper Jones .417 in 307 AB (Giles leads hitters w/ 400+ AB's)
    SLG Andruw Jones .609
    OPS Andruw Jones .950

2005 Team Leaders
    BA Albert Pujols .337
    H Albert Pujols 180
    2B Albert Pujols 35
    3B David Eckstein 7
    HR Albert Pujols 39
    RBI Albert Pujols 107
    R Albert Pujols 116
    SB Albert Pujols 14
    BB Albert Pujols 85
    OBP Albert Pujols .435
    SLG Albert Pujols .632
    TB Albert Pujols 336
    OPS Albert Pujols 1.063

Pujols is the leader of everything except triples. He hasn't had near the protection that Andruw Jones has had.

Pujols = MVP

Shane

• Options
    55% = the people have spoken
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    It's not always about the raw numbers...if it was, Arod would have won back to back in Texas, and essentially every year he's been in the league, since he's been so dominant year in and year out.

MVP means (to the voters, anywhere) most valuable to their team...and again I pose, would the Cards win the Central without Pujols? Almost most certainly (though not as dominantly as they will this year). Would the Braves reach the postseason? It's a near certainty they wouldn't have.

Andruw will win this award going away (though it's not a knock against Pujols, as he's an incredibly special player).
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    Would the Braves reach the postseason? It's a near certainty they wouldn't have

What? they have won the Div the past 13 years for god sakes. they continue to bring up rookies that are ready for the big leagues. They have done this year in and year out with a different cast of players too.

edited to add: did i misundersatnd you? Are you saying w/o Jones? or w/o the year he is having? I would bet that just an average yr outta him and they would have still won the division.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    Take Andruw out of that lineup and the Braves aren't sniffing the postseason.

He will easily win the MVP.
  • Options

<<Pujols is the leader of everything except triples. He hasn't had near the protection that Andruw Jones has had.>>

The poll has spoken. I was very surprised it is so lopsided. In a head to head comparison Jones has a substantial lead over Pujols in both Homers and RBI's.

This was a tough one and I almost voted for Pujols.
  • Options
    The people don't vote for MVP.

• Options

I know. Read my post, I was talking about the poll.
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    The Braves needed Jones much more than the Cardinals needed Pujols to get where they are. That is my interpretation of an MVP.

NL MVP = Andruw Jones
    AL MVP = David Ortiz