Home Sports Talk

Da Bears...

I have no expectations for once and am looking forward to this season. 5 wins is my guess.
EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions

Comments

• SouthsiderSouthsider Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭
    Hey, where's the pride?

If Orton can avoid trying too hard to make big plays (see yesterday's game), I see no reason why we're not at least 8-8 this year.

In any event, it has to be better than last season, right? Urlacher is healthy, so is Peanut and Adelwale. Quinn is gone, Turner is in charge of the offense again, Benson is signed, Moose is a big target to find on the field and we get to call him "Moose". I've missed a good nickname. Haven't had one quite as good since Mongo retired.
  • AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭

<< <i>Hey, where's the pride?

>>

I see nothing wrong with being realistic about your team's chances. It gives me a laugh when people come out and say a team is going to have say 12 wins when they had 5 last year. I am a Bucs fan, and am being overly optimistic in thinking they'll win 8 or 9 games this year.

I guess that makes those who are realistic somehow less of a fan? I'm not sure where that mentality comes from.

No, it was a good-natured ribbing. Fans are expected to be just that: fans, as in fanatical. A little healthy optimism is a good thing.

With that said, I'll change my guess and say that the Bears go 16-0, led by the Roethlesbergian QB play of rookie Kyle Orton and win Superbowl XL to commemorate the 20th anniversary of their last championship. Tommie Harris will channel the spirit of Richard Dent and capture Superbowl XL MVP honors with an outstanding game including 7 tackles (3 for a loss), 2 sacks, and one fumble recovery. Benson will rush for 128 yards on 27 carries, but with no touchdowns. On a trick play, defensive lineman Tank Johnson lines up at tailback and scores a touchdown at the goal line.

• ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    I have slowly acquired some nice Rex Grossman autos over the last few seasons, figuring this was his breakout year. image

But, with so much parity in the NFL today, anything can happen. Their division isn't as strong as it usually is.

<< <i>I have slowly acquired some nice Rex Grossman autos over the last few seasons, figuring this was his breakout year. image

But, with so much parity in the NFL today, anything can happen. Their division isn't as strong as it usually is. >>

I know, I did the same thing. I picked up Grossman's SPX and SP Authentic rookies, figuring this would be his year. Oh, well. It happens. At least I didn't buy rookies of Kordell Stewart, Cade McNown, Jonathan Quinn, Craig Krenzel, Chad Hutchinson, etc., too.
  • IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭
    I had to chuckle while reading the SI predictions. They have daBears ranked 32nd. Given the caveat that they avoid any more key injuries and having watched the rest of the teams in their division, the only one that looks much better is the Vikes and we all know their history of choking. Will they go 9-7 probably not, more likely 7-9 or 8-8. I will be surprised if they do worse than that.

Like someone said, predictions are pretty silly.
  • stevekstevek Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't ever remember in recent history a first round draft pick quarterback who displayed such good potential, getting injured so much like this early in his career. Just plain bad luck for the Bears. But considering Grossman's history of injury, perhaps they should have paid for and had in place a decent backup. Easier said than done I know and most of the decent quarterbacks available in the off season like Warner, wanted to be signed as candidates to start. But having Hutchinson as a backup? That kid flat out cannot play in the NFL and certainly deserved to be cut.

As for the SI rankings - they are of course often wrong. But picking the Bears worst was the logical call based on having a rookie quarterback. Except for Ben R, and rare exceptions such as a Marino, rookie quarterbacks in the NFL do not fare well. It is very rare that a rookie quarterback takes his team into the playoffs - I can only think of Ben R and Marino ever doing it, and definitely no rookie quarterback has ever taken his team to the Super Bowl.

• << <i>I had to chuckle while reading the SI predictions. >>

I just got my SI in today. I disagree with most of their predictions.

The NFC North is a weak division, but I won't classify any of the teams as bottom-feeders either. I'd predict the Bear's W/L at 6-10 or 7-9.
  • zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭
    Looks like 5 may have been an under estimate! I had no idea that the rest of the division would blow so badly.

Da Bears look like 8 wins may be reachable and even better, a playoff berth. Bad loss with Bradley tearing his ACL, this kid was looking good. Orton is gaining composure with each game and I love seeing Moose in a Bears uni. This is the first good reciever the Bears have had since Willie Gault.
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • The Bears should win the next two games and then I see them losing all the rest........6-10!
    That's really too bad about Bradley. The kid has some real potential. Here's hoping he makes a full recovery!

The Bears may be able to surprise a few teams. They have an amazing defense and a very good running game. The passing game doesn't need to be anything more than adequate to get the job done. Anyways, I like the pieces they've put together and once the QB position gets some stability and the passing game opens up a little, we may have a chance in the NFC.
  • StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Please the Lions are bottom feeders, the only positive is the defense. We need to revamp the whole offense, it is just not working. I would love to see them at 8-8 this year.

Stingray
    I disagree. I don't think we need to revamp the entire offense. What's the problem with the running game? Part of the problem with the offense is that we HAVE revamped the offense every year for the past 4-5 years, it seems? There hasn't been enough time for anyone to learn it and run it the way it was designed. I think we're on the right track here and when/if the passing game catches up, we'll be able to put some more points on the board.

<< <i>I disagree. I don't think we need to revamp the entire offense. What's the problem with the running game? Part of the problem with the offense is that we HAVE revamped the offense every year for the past 4-5 years, it seems? There hasn't been enough time for anyone to learn it and run it the way it was designed. I think we're on the right track here and when/if the passing game catches up, we'll be able to put some more points on the board. >>

I think Stingray was talking about the Lions.
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Yes I was, sorry about the confusion.

Stingray
    7-3 and the defense is looking SOLID! I was at the game today and it was great. The fans were so into it and starting to feel the vibe. I just hope the D can keep creating scoring opportunities because the offense is bad at times. The rest of the time it is terrible.
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • stevekstevek Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I knew the Bears fans would start coming out here. And deservedly so. That was a nice win against Carolina today. Their defense was awesome.
    There's the pride! People are starting to give the Bears some credit. Can Chicago pull a Boston?
  • 1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    Da Bears are impressive. My previous thoughts on Carolina coming out of the NFC could change. I still think the Panthers are the NFC team this year however.
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
    I hope the Panthers are THE NFC team this year because we played them well and can hopefully do so again. Seattle scares me a little because Shawn Alexander is so tough. I am just hoping the Bears keep winning and will worry about playoff match ups whe/if we get there.

Dallas doesn't really scare me because they can't score and the Bears D is better.
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
    Another week, another win. This is fun because it has been unexpected. Am I the only Bears fan on here?
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions

• << <i>Another week, another win. This is fun because it has been unexpected. Am I the only Bears fan on here? >>

I'm not a Bearsssss fan, but I hope they make the Superbowl. I'm a Pats fan, but it will be Indy or Denver from the AFC.

Plus, I'm sure these fans will be appearing on SNL again soon!! image

Edit: Well, I guess Farley won't, maybe someone will fill in for him (the guy on "King of Queens")?

<< <i>Another week, another win. This is fun because it has been unexpected. Am I the only Bears fan on here? >>

It's been surprising, but nice to see. I was one of the few optimistic fans at the beginning of the season, and I still only thought they'd go 8-8. I guess they're at least guaranteed that, but I don't want to get ahead of myself. While the defense has been superb, the offense needs to step it up if we're really going to challenge come playoff time.
    Another win by our defense. While it is nice to get the Brett Favre monkey off our back, I'm not too happy with our offense. Orton is getting worse.

Should Grossman play out the last 2 or 3 games, if he's ready?

It's more complicated then just Orton. If you have been paying attention the last few games, the receivers are not getting seperation and dropping passes when open. Maybe with Berrian back things will improve. If Grossman can shake off the rust I wouldn't hesitate to use him. Letting Kennison get away was just stupid.
    Mike, that's the thing, I can't see the whole game here in Washington, DC. I only see 6/17 with an INT and a fumble. I did read that the INT was deflected off the hands of the tight end? So, I guess I see your point about the receivers needed to step it up, too. I know the receiving corps took a big hit when Bradley went down, but it is nice to see Berrian back. He's supposed to have some speed.

I just hope they figure something out; we're going to need some more offense to go further if we get into the playoffs.
    Southsider, this would be a much different offense if Bradley and Berrian had not been injured as well as Grossman. They really don't have a deep threat. I saw Orton play enough games in person to know that he can deliver the ball on long patterns and do it very accurately, witness last years game against ND image. I've never seen a college quarterback do what he did that day. Every completion was thrown just outside the reach of the defender and hit the receiver in stride. He just needs to get all the negatively out of his head. I have also seen Grossman play in high school. If he ever manages to stay healthy, he is a starting NFL QB. Nice problem to have on down the road.

Grossman is not the answer. I don't know why everyone thinks he is. He has played 6 games in his career! Orton has got an arm, but they don't play longball. Against Carolina, Moose dropped 6 passes. 6! The bears are playing the ball controll game and not taking any chances on O.
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Panthers looked very good yesterday. I think Stepehn Davis' days as starting RB are over. Foster was great and the defense was dominant. The Bears just keep winning though and that is all you have to do. As always, homefield will be huge in the playoffs.

<< <i>Grossman is not the answer. I don't know why everyone thinks he is. He has played 6 games in his career! Orton has got an arm, but they don't play longball. Against Carolina, Moose dropped 6 passes. 6! The bears are playing the ball controll game and not taking any chances on O. >>

Don't know if Grossman is the answer or not, but he is an option to consider. I hope that Orton (and receivers) can come through when we need to ramp it up. If not, Rex may be able to inject some fresh energy to the passing game. I wouldn't dismiss the idea. Hey, all that time he's spent on the sidelines watching the game while recovering had to have taught him something!
    Lovey as much as said yesterday that if the quarterback/passing game (receivers) don't pick it up, he will make a change.

The one pass Orton was allowed to throw downfield was complete to Barrian for 20+ yards. He threw the ball all over the field at Purdue and I think that if they start calling plays for him to pass the ball longer than 1-4 yards, he may actually amass some passing yardage.

Grossman has played 6 games in his career. He is hardly proven as most people think he is. If they want a guy who has proven he could throw the ball, they got Jeff Blake sitting there too. The backs and the linemen all know and are comfortable with Orton. They have been winning and he was been "not losing," games for them since Cincy, which is key. I think making a change now is premature and asinine.

I too hope they can ramp up the offense when need be. We will see as they are bound to be tested sooner or later by falling behind.
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
    Well, here was the test and we failed. Unfortunately, the Steelers played like they wanted it more. They had more energy and their O line dominated our defense. image

I do have to say that I liked the Bears (only) touchdown drive. Orton showed some nice touch on those two big passes. Berrian is a speedster. It will be nice to have him and Bradley available next year. It was a little too late, though. I'm not sure Grossman could have done anything better in this game. Maybe they should have called some of those deep pases a little earlier. Who knows. It's too bad, but at least we're still in first.

It was also a tough loss because the wife is from Pittsburgh and is a huuuuge Steelers fan. I'm going to have to hear about this for years until they play again!

<< <i>Well, here was the test and we failed. Unfortunately, the Steelers played like they wanted it more. They had more energy and their O line dominated our defense. image

I do have to say that I liked the Bears (only) touchdown drive. Orton showed some nice touch on those two big passes. Berrian is a speedster. It will be nice to have him and Bradley available next year. It was a little too late, though. I'm not sure Grossman could have done anything better in this game. Maybe they should have called some of those deep pases a little earlier. Who knows. It's too bad, but at least we're still in first.

It was also a tough loss because the wife is from Pittsburgh and is a huuuuge Steelers fan. I'm going to have to hear about this for years until they play again! >>

That sucks!

Tough loss, but you are right, their O line dominated our D and we made Parker and Bettis did whatever they wanted to.

I also agree that Orton looked OK on that drive and it was too little to late. It was just good to see the ball move downfield fast.

Minnesota has been playing great and Brad Johnson is looking better than his TB days. This may be a tough one to eek out this year but at least we are talking about the post season after playing 13 games.
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
    So how do you feel about Grossman now? Granted, he's no superstar, but you've got to admit that the offense has looked more capable with him behind center.

Is there any word in Chicago about whether or not Benson will be healed in time for the playoffs? I do like Adrian Peterson, but I think Benson is better at barreling through holes.

We've got a good chance this year, other than Seattle, the NFC is really weak this season. 20th anniversary of the last Bears SB win. It would be nice.

<< <i>So how do you feel about Grossman now? Granted, he's no superstar, but you've got to admit that the offense has looked more capable with him behind center.

Is there any word in Chicago about whether or not Benson will be healed in time for the playoffs? I do like Adrian Peterson, but I think Benson is better at barreling through holes.

We've got a good chance this year, other than Seattle, the NFC is really weak this season. 20th anniversary of the last Bears SB win. It would be nice.

image >>

Grossman looks great. Better than Orton. I am not saying that he is a superstar either, but I was wrong in thinking Orton was the better choice. Grossman at least can move the ball better than Orton and it opens the run up a bit.

They look really good, but ya never know what will happen in the playoffs.

But to go into Green Bay and clinch is really SWEET!
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    Why is there this myth circulating that the NFC is weak?

I think the media in general has been in overdrive for the past couple years trying to get everyone believing that the AFC is vastly superior to the NFC.

Outside of Indy, who in the AFC is that scary? Cincy, who lost to Buffalo at home? Pittsburgh, which team are you going to get? The Pats have been on a roll in the second half, but they've had some horrible outings.

And in the NFC, Seattle is as complete a team as there is in the NFL...that O line is scary good, and Shaun Alexander, well, his talents go without saying. Chicago's defense is unreal, and Grossman does add a deep threat they didn't have (or wouldn't allow) with Orton. Washington is as hot (if not hotter) than the patriots.

I think both conferences are quite balanced...both have one dominant team followed by many very, very good teams.
    DA BEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was way off on the 5 wins call image

It wasn't pretty but one more W and they are SB bound!
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    I thought your predicition was for the 2005 season not for the 2006 season.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
    You're right. I didn't re-read the thread image

Oh well.
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • jaxxrjaxxr Posts: 1,258 ✭✭
    Good for the 2007 NFC title game bound BEARS, anything can happen

Hey Zef, where are the 1950 -1953 FB cards as indicated by your auction link title ??? Seems that might also be a few years off, just like this thread.

This aint no party,... this aint no disco,.. this aint no fooling around.
    A 1950 and a 1951 Bowman just ended.
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • jaxxrjaxxr Posts: 1,258 ✭✭
    The 2006 SD Chargers just ended, as well.

Go Bears !!!!
    This aint no party,... this aint no disco,.. this aint no fooling around.