Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Excellent essay (QDB/ANR) on the early days of the SF Mint...

Comments

• Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had to go to a dopey outdoor concert last night. Fortunately I was able to bring along the ANR catalog. The interesting tidbit in the 1854-S description, was the idea that California gold had a higher silver content than eastern gold, and even after being coined was traded at a 3/4% premium over non-western gold. It seems that some gold is better than other gold.

OT, but this concert really sucked. Steven Sondheim wrote some lame muscial forty years ago that had a run of precisely nine shows on Broadway. And they chose the ONE NIGHT I went to this outdoor festival to revive it. Thank goodness I could read the auction catalog, at least until it got dark.
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    It's a great historical vignette about the Lee family as well. Too bad she is selling this coin, rather than keeping it as a family heirloom.

I learned a lot about the gold rush days a few years ago during a trip that a visit to the CC Mint/Museum. Interestingly, most Chinese were not allowed to immigrate to the US. The Chinese Exclusion Act was the nation's first law to ban immigration by race or nationality.
  • Options
    Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
    Wow. Need to safe that oneimage

I love early gold coins from the SF mint, including this one due to their historyimage

Dennis

PS anyone wanna guess how much this one will bring?
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was wondering that myself. 500K? I'd compare it to an 1870-S dollar in the same grade.
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank goodness I could read the auction catalog, at least until it got dark.

I have done that before, but I have to be careful. Sometimes, I get a sharp reprimand! image
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    Wow. What a story. I can only dream of such an heirloom. And of owning a coin like this.
  • Options
    EagleEyeEagleEye Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What a great write-up! The predigree is very special. I once owned a 1850 Baldwin $5 which was found under Fishermans Wharf during a renovation in the 1970's. This type of direct link to the past is an added bonus to coin minted during the gold rush era. I think it'll go through the roof!

Rick Snow, Eagle Eye Rare Coins, Inc.Check out my new web site:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file