Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Baseball Card Hall of SHAME: Follow up on Card HOF

As a follow up on the Beckett Baseball Card Hall of Fame, I thought it would be neat to have a Baseball Card Hall of Shame. This is for cards that were once hot, and have fallen drastically. Let's see if we can come up with 10 (just like the HOF). I don't think I can come up with 10 on my own.

1988 Fleer Gregg Jefferies
1983 Topps Traded Darryl Strawberry
1984 Topps Traded Dwight Gooden
1986 Donruss Jose Canseco
1987 Fleer Bo Jackson
1986 Topps Traded Wally Joyner

There is a start with six.

Shane

Comments

• Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    1981 Topps, Fleer or Donruss Joe Charboneau.

Stingray
  • Options
    ROCKDJRWROCKDJRW Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭
    1989 Fleer Billy Ripken "ff" Card
    All those 1990 Donruss "Error" cards
    1990 Upper Deck Kevin Mass
    1990 Leaf David Justice
    Collect Ozzie Guillen Cards
    Unique Chicago Cards
    Wrestling Cards
  • Options
    MooseDogMooseDog Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭
    It's a little unfair to put Bo Jackson in that group, who knows what he might have done in both sports had he not gotten injured.
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,055 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree totally. He would have probably been a Hall of Famer, but the fact still remains that the card was very hot and now it is virtually worthless.

Shane

• Options
    These would be near the top for me too, having collected dozens of both

Also any Donruss Rated Rookie or Rookies series from mid 80s (Mac, Bonds, Canseco etc). Most multiplayer rookie stars from 80 and 81 - Tim Raines, Mike Scott, Quisenberry etc

Basically ANY bb card from the 80s that isn't 80 Henderson, 82 TT Ripken, or any of the Clemens rookies has fallen drastically.

And of course, every Raffy Palmeiro card ever made.
  • Options
    fur72fur72 Posts: 2,348 ✭✭

These two are on the top of my list. Be patient with the cards from the 80's. These cards are only 25 years old or less. Get you stars graded for a cheap $5 now and sell them 10 years from now. The Palmeiro thing will blow over.
  • Options
    1987 Topps- Will Clark, Bo Jackson, (Bo doesn't count, already mentioned), Kevin Mitchell, Ruben Sierra
    1990 Fleer - Juan Gonzalez
    1989 Upper Deck- Ken Griffey, Jr.

ALL 1990's insert cards.

1990 Donruss David Justice
    1984 Topps Don Mattingly

best regards,

Adam J. Moraine
    Adam J. Moraine
  • Options
    AkbarCloneAkbarClone Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭
    The Steve Stone cards (the year after he won the CY Young award) were hot. Now people probably give them away or put them into the nickel/dime boxes.
    I collect Vintage Cards, Commemorative Sets, and way too many vintage and modern player collections in Baseball (180 players), Football (175 players), and Basketball (87 players). Also have a Dallas Cowboy team collection.
  • Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,760 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1985 topps Eric Davis, 1989 UD Dale Murphy error, 1987 Bobby Bonilla RCs.
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,055 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Adam,

I agree with most of yours, except for two.

The Griffey is a VERY important card in the history of the hobby. Even though it has gone down, it will still set you back several dollars for a decent one.

The 84 Topps Mattingly has gone down too, but it is not totally worthless. A PSA 9 will still set you back $20.

Shane

• Options
    What a great thread!! It brings back alot of memories. I remember having all the cards mentioned in top loaders or binders thinking I was sitting on a potential gold mine! Now they are just sitting in boxes with all the other commons. Still get a chuckle when I come across one.
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    90 (?) UD Brien Taylor
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

<< <i>90 (?) UD Brien Taylor >>

Boy was he overhyped! Did he blow out his arm?

Stingray
  • Options
    1985 topps Eric Davis... right on.

I used to buy cases of unopened wax 85 Topps solely looking for that card, probably tossing away dozens of Clemens, Pucketts etc..
  • Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭
    1990 UD Ben McDonald error
    1992 Fleer Update David Neid
    1989 Jerome Walton cards
    1991 Fleer "Rookie Sensations"
    1990 Donruss Nolan Ryan error pair
    promo cards
    1992 Bowman Gold Frank Thomas

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>90 (?) UD Brien Taylor >>

1992 Topps Brien Taylor #6 - one of the biggest disappointments in early 90s baseball!

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    kingraider75kingraider75 Posts: 1,500 ✭✭
    I agree that Bo Jackson shouldn't be on the list, because his FB card can still get you like $2-5, and it wasn't much higher than $10 ever I think. His BB cards have fallen more, especially the 87 Fleer, so maybe for BB he should be on the list, kinda on the fence on ole Bo. lol

All the guys on FrankHardy's original post listing had decent careers, and some of their RC's aren't quite commons.

So what about any RC's from my favorite bust

Sam Horn!!!!!!!!!!
    Running an Ebay store sure takes a lot more time than a person would think!
  • Options
    BuccaneerBuccaneer Posts: 1,794 ✭✭
    Any 1987 Topps
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    I just took a quick look through my old binder
    Kevin Mitchell
    Nick Esasky
    Eric Davis
    Mike Scott?
    Jerome walton
    Tony Pena- still proabbly popular
    Tim Raines
    John Wetteland
    Willie Ansley
    some more later
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

<< <i>What a great thread!! It brings back alot of memories. I remember having all the cards mentioned in top loaders or binders thinking I was sitting on a potential gold mine! Now they are just sitting in boxes with all the other commons. Still get a chuckle when I come across one. >>

yep.. i think im gonna go buy a few of the cards thatve been named and that i dont have anymore..

i'm serious..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    MooseDogMooseDog Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭
    How about 1990 Score Hockey Eric Lindros...remember the big hype that Score had an EXCLUSIVE on him?
  • Options

<< <i>How about 1990 Score Hockey Eric Lindros...remember the big hype that Score had an EXCLUSIVE on him? >>

I have a bunch of the 90 score topps traded baseball Lindros, those will be worth a fortune
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pete Incaviglia
    Jay Buhner
    Cal Eldred
    Mike
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    The 1986 Donruss Canseco leads the list, easily. I remember seeing them at shows for around $100 each - today, I doubt anyone would pay anything for one.

Notice how all of these cards come from the "rookie card era" of 1981 and on? You could buy any of these cards in 100ct "investment" lots back then...

Craig Jeffries
    Eric Davis
    Barry Larkin
    Kal Daniels
    Mike Greenwell
    Juan Gonzalez
    Frank Thomas
  • Options
    How about the 1990 Score Bo Jackson black and white card in shoulder pads. Dealers would get $20 for those cards.

As for Brien Taylor, I think he tore his rotator cuff in a bar scuffle and never was the same.
  • Options
    A761506A761506 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭
    Another card that I distinctly remember going nuts when they were first put out:

1989 Upper Deck Update Jim Abbott... this card was selling for around $25

Other "can't-miss" prospects of the late 80's - early 90's whose cards had a following and are now commons:

Kevin Maas, Mark Whiten, Bernard Gilkey, Hensley Muelens, Todd Zeile, Albert Belle, Mo Vaughn, Greg Vaughn, Delino Deshields, Walt Weiss

• Options
    AkbarCloneAkbarClone Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭
    I still collect Walt Weiss cards--if anyone has any, please let me know what you have and I'll be ready to buy if I don't already have it.image
    I collect Vintage Cards, Commemorative Sets, and way too many vintage and modern player collections in Baseball (180 players), Football (175 players), and Basketball (87 players). Also have a Dallas Cowboy team collection.
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The 1986 Donruss Canseco leads the list, easily. I remember seeing them at shows for around $100 each - today, I doubt anyone would pay anything for one.
    >>

image actually, i sold a BGS 9.5 a few months ago for $160+..
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    GOODLIEUGOODLIEU Posts: 629 ✭✭
    If memory serves me correctly when ESPN did a list of the 25 biggest sports flops in the last 25 years Brien Taylor was the only Baseball Player to make the list.
  • Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

1985 T Pete O'Brein
    1985 T Franklin Stubbs
    1985 T Alvin Davis
    1985 T OLY Oddibie McDowell
    1985 T OLY Corey Snyder
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭
    1988 Matt Nokes
    1990 Lee Stevens
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭
    Must have cards (at one time)...

1990 Score Ryne Sandberg error card
    1990 Pro Set Football Lombardi Trophy card (and Santa Claus card)
    1989 Upper Deck Sandy Alomar Jr. rookie
    1984 Donruss Nick Essasky (sp?)
  • Options
    jrinckjrinck Posts: 1,321 ✭✭
    Even though I know what all these depressing cards look like, I still like to see scans or Ebay auction links. But these cards are so bad that nobody wants to Ebay them, and who in their right mind would spend effort scanning and uploading a card like an '83 Fleer Ron Kittle?

But as such, is there any website out there with a good database of scanned cards? (other than Ebay, of course!)
  • Options
    How about the 1989 Topps Ricky Jordan? I remember trading two of my Jordan rookies back in 89' for a 1984 Fleer Mattingly rookie. The guy I traded with had HIGH expectaions for Ricky...or maybe he was just HIGH.
  • Options
    dunerduner Posts: 625
    what about '91 todd vanpoppel
    92 todd marinovich
    92 browing nagle
    91 harvey williams
    ....man the list is so long my head hurts!
    Duner a.k.a. THE LSUConnMan
    lsuconnman@yahoo.com

• Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭
    If we're getting into other sports, here's a few-

1990 Fleer and Skybox Basketball Danny Ferry (and ALL 1990 Skybox for that matter)
    1989 Pro Set William Perry promo
    1991 UD Football Dan McGwire
    1992-93 Stadium Club Basketball "Beam Team"
    1990-91 UD hockey French

• Options
    How about Jermome Walton of the cubs...i remember he had that one good hitting streak and then just disappeared. wonder what happened to him
    Current Sets:
    1960 Armour Coins
    Greg Maddux Basic
    Greg Maddux Master
    All Time 49ers
  • Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭
    If I remember correctly, didnt Brien Taylor hurt his arm in a bar brawl back in 1993 which either directly or indirectly cause him to retire?
    IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options
    ok to add to my list, just grabbed my "old" cards
    Todd VAn Poppel
    Orel Hershiser, though he may now gain as manager?

David cone
    ellis burks
    MAtt williams
    cecil fielder
    mike greenwell
    Tom gordon
    Ramon martinez
    Chris Sabo
    deion Sanders
    Devon white
    Rickey Jordan, just found the 89 UD!!
    Greg CAderet-anyone remeber him??
    Glen DAvis
    HArold REynods
    Joey belle
    Felix Jose
    Todd worell
    Danny tartabull
    Dwight smith

I would have to agree that the 86 Donruss Canseco at 100+ was the biggest flop, followed closely by the Billy Ripken FF