Home U.S. Coin Forum

Opinions on this 1805 half on TT

What do you think of this 1805 half on Teletrade tonight? It is PCGS VF30 but the enlarged pictures show scratches along the back. Are they on the holder or the coin?

1805 Half on TT

Comments

• cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,991 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those look like adjustment marks and are common on early silver. Nice coin.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The marks on the reverse are definitely adjustment marks (made with a file to weight-adjust the blank planchet before it was struck). There's a hit or two on the obverse, but overall it is a decent looking coin. The adjustment marks are pretty strong in this case, but they don't count as a "problem". Just a minor distraction.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • tmot99tmot99 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭
    I put a really low bid on that coin myself and am sitting here deciding if I really want it. I will probably pass for a better example.
  • DD Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭
    Is that a die clash to the right of Liberty? image.

-Daniel
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

-Aristotle

Dum loquimur fugerit invida aetas. Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero.

-Horace
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 23,024 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like it and yes there are adjustment marks... big deal... thats the way many of them come. It is even a bigger problem with world coins.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those are adjustment marks... even the Contursi 1794 dollar in MS66 has them image
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the coin a lot, very nice original look and did it's tour of duty...

VF35 or EF40 detail, I think PCGS (correctly) factored in the reverse adjustment marks as well as a couple of noteworth obverse digs..

great coin, thanks for the heads up, may as well go ahead and put in a bid image

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    Last I saw the bid was either $280 or $380. Either way, that's awfully strong for this coin, no? I'm thinking you might have shot yourself in the foot on this one, LikesCents...Mike
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 23,024 ✭✭✭✭✭
    what is the juice at TT these days?

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

On this coin it would be a grandfathered 10% (good for next 3 months). Went up to 12% as of 8/1....Mike
  • MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    That's a cool looking half!! image
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Last I saw the bid was either $280 or $380. Either way, that's awfully strong for this coin, no? >>

NO!!! Not if you know the market on these.
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Closed at 625 plus juice. Little stronger than I would have gone if I were bidding, but not by much.

Jim
    Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.

<< <i>

<< <i>Last I saw the bid was either $280 or $380. Either way, that's awfully strong for this coin, no? >>

NO!!! Not if you know the market on these. >>

Clearly, image

Have fun...Mike
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Adjustment marks do not help a coin and most type collectors prefer a coin without them.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• I'm thinking you might have shot yourself in the foot on this one, LikesCents...Mike

The gun wasn't loaded, I wasn't ready to spend any $$ last night! I would like one of that type, like that one but without the marks. I can wait till the right one comes along and I'm ready to spend, although those two things don't always seem to happen at the same time.

Can adjustment marks be found on the rim, also? It would seem to be a less conspicuous spot. And it must have been time consuming to weigh each coin individually.
  • dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,691 ✭✭✭
    i posted it earlier.

GORGEOUS coin.

K S

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file