Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Who can grade Indian head buffalo nickels? Here are five to grade. (Grades Revealed)

DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
I bought these five nickels raw years ago, and had them graded by PCGS three years ago at the FUN show. I realized at that time that there was a lot more to grading Buffalo nickels than meets the eye. See how your grading skills stack up to PCGS standards.

Good luck, and I will reveal the grades at a later time.

1920-D
imageimage

1920-S
imageimage

1923-S
imageimage

1924-D
imageimage

1925-D
imageimage
Doug

Comments

• Options
    dthigpendthigpen Posts: 3,932 ✭✭
    I love Mint State Indian Head Nickels, but I suck at grading them, so I'll refrain from making an arse out of myself image

Edit: By my extremely untrained eye with these, all but the first is AU/MS, and the first may still be AU or just a weak strike, no idea...
  • Options
  • Options
    I don't have a clue on these, but here are my guesses VG, VF, AU, XF, AUimage
  • Options

Thigs, just from my limited experience, Buffs have the most "art" to grading than any other series, and in particular, the 1920 decade!image
    Doug
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Hard to grade those with strike probs and all. I'll give it a shot.

coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    BigD5BigD5 Posts: 3,433
    63, 63, 64 63, 64 and I'd love to see them in person. image
    BigD5
    LSCC#1864

Ebay Stuff
  • Options
    dthigpendthigpen Posts: 3,932 ✭✭

<< <i>Thigs, just from my limited experience, Buffs have the most "art" to grading than any other series, and in particular, the 1920 decade!image >>

I agree completely, I don't even pretend to know how to grade Indian Head Nickels. There are so many variables to consider with them, along with their reliefs and the inconsistancy in strikes which makes it a crap shoot unless you're an expert in the series.
  • Options

Oh, and if you can give any reasons for the grades, I would love to hear them, and learn a little bit about grading Buffs.
    Doug
  • Options
    DJCDJC Posts: 787
    No grade opinion here (I can't grade from a photo for s---, especially '20s Buffs), but is it just me, or is that a FULL horn on that 23-S? If that's a higher MS piece (64 or 65) that's a choice 23-S with that strike!!!
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 1923-s and 1925-D are about as nice as those coins come and I would say 64 minimum. Very nice. I am not able to offer an opinion on the 1920-D... its a technology thing. The 20-S LOOKS GOOD and is probably a 62 shot 63. The 24-D is quite nice and I will say 63 and I am probably wrong. Buffs are a challenge to grade... great coins

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not my series at all, but here goes...

20-D VF-30
    20-S EF-45
    23-S AU-55 (looks like a 'passing a kidney stone' variety)
    24-D AU-58/MS-60
    25-D " "
  • Options
    Here's my WAG

imageimage
  • Options
    KurtHornKurtHorn Posts: 1,382
    Well, here I go making a fool of myself again... Hard to grade from pics here and the lighting on these is less than optimal especially with the 20-D and 23-S

1920-D VG 8 can't really see the coin...
    1920-S VF 35 (although most would probably say at least EF)
    1923-S AU 55 again the pic...
    1924-D EF 40
    1925-D AU 50 kind of a soft stike or lighting again?

Just my best guesses from what I can see here. I haven't looked at anyone elses opinions yet.
    -Kurt-

Edited to add:
    OK, now I've looked at what others have said... I'm not an expert in Buffs but if I'm not mistaken all of these are coins with historically soft strikes. So, I was probably rediculously harsh here. On the 20-D from the Pic I can't see the horn at all and the date looks like it's worn. The 23-S is a specatcular looking coin but without being abale to have the lighting to look for lustre breaks on the Buffalos thigh and parts of the Indian's face all I could bring myself to say was AU 55. Oh well, these things are always a crap shoot. I look forward to you posting the grades.
    "Don't bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself." - William Faulkner
    NoEbayAuctionsForNow
  • Options
    MJHMJH Posts: 538 ✭✭
    These Mid 20'S dates are tough to grade .
    Here's my guesses
    1920-D AU50
    1920-S MS61
    1923-S MS63
    1924-D MS63
    1925-D MS63
  • Options
    robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭
    1920-D
    imageimage
    MS61. These images are VERY hard to grade from, so I may be off and it well may be AU. Very weak strike along the edge on this one, check out the head on the bison, and on the obverse check out the date, and the feathers on the Indian. Interestingly, these features are at the same location on the coin, but on opposite sides. Now look at the other side of the coin, the tail of the bison is nearly fully seperated from the rim, well struck over there.

1920-S
    imageimage
    MS61. Again, the pictures aren't the greatest but I do think the luster is too subdued on this one to be fully mint state though it may have slid in. Poor detail on the bison's shoulder area, as well as the braids on the Indian. Again, the same location on the coin but on opposite sides. I think I see some die breaks; one extending from the P in Pluribus to the F in of. Another die break on the rear, close leg of the bison. The woodgrain streakiness of the toning comes from the impurities in the alloys. I'm torn between calling this one an AU55 and an MS61 but I'll assume the luster is better than the pictures show.

1923-S
    imageimage
    MS64. A nicely struck specimen, about 5 percent off center on the reverse. Some small hits, a lack of detail in the Indian's hair, and a whitish spot on the reverse keep it out of a gem holder, IMHO. Also note the tail merges with the rim. I believe this was a generally well struck date.

1924-D
    imageimage
    MS63. Average strike, note the lack of detail on the bison's shoulder and in the Indian's hair (compare to the previous coin). There are some scattered marks which would be more evident if the image were larger.

1925-D
    imageimage
    MS65. Well stuck with a pleasing look to it. Note however the tail does once again merge with the rim. Small carbon spot noted to the right of the date.
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    20S....AU55

20D....AU58

23S....MS63...Nice looking coin and best of the lot IMO.

24D....AU55

25D....MS63

I put these in photo shop and lightened them up and enlarged them. I really could not tell if the flat spots were from strike or wear. The Bisons head on the 20D sure looks like a strike problem and the coin is probably Mint State but AU58 was given because of the way coins are market graded.

Nice Coins. I wish I knew more about the striking of certain dates within this series.

Ken
  • Options

Robert ---> image

Thanks for the excellent comments!!! I'll PM you the actuals. I'm waiting on Shamika before I post them publicly.
    Doug
  • Options
    Here's My guesses

MS-63 Struck thru ,I think the head and horn are the result of being struck thru grease
    XF-45 Noticeable wear on the face and feathers obverse, legs and head and horn Reverse.
    MS-63 Nice coin, but a little dark and a little lightly struck
    AU-55 same as # 2 only not quite the wear visable on the coin
    MS-64 Very pleasing coin Nicely struck just lacks a little luster to be a 65

Rick
    Touch Not The Cat Bot A Glove !!

Always Looking for Raw Proof Lincoln Cents !!
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,765 ✭✭✭✭

1920-D MS62 - The obverse is a solid 63 (date is weak), but the lack of a horn due to the weak strike keeps it from going above 62. None the less, I really love the look of this coin.
    1920-S MS61 - The chip on the Buffalo's shoulder as well as the scratch also keeps this from going 63. Luster appears to be muted. I like the die crack on the Buffalo's back leg.
    1923-S MS63 - Very nice strike. I can't tell if I see rub on the Buffalo's hip. If so, AU-58. If not, should be a rock solid MS64.
    1924-D MS63 - Again, I can't make out the hip. Rub = AU-55. Otherwise, MS63. The reverse strike is weak, but otherwise it's a clean coin.
    1925-D MS64 - Hip rub? If not, MS64. This is a date that is often poorly struck, unlike yours.

Overall, this is a great bunch of Buffalos.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    After further review, I want to change the grade for the 20-D to MS61.

DOES THIS LOOK FAMILIAR?

• Options
    This has been an exceptionally fun thread for me. Buffalo nickels from the 20s have baffled me, and the educational points in this thread have been awesome.

Chris, I can't believe you remembered that 20-d and could pull it up! It just goes to show you that one man's AU53 is another's MS61! I was going to point out that the 20-d had a chip on the cheek which (if viewed in hand) is obviously from before it left the mint. The other comment I was going to add was that the 25-s has a black streak on the lower reverse through the "C" in Cent that was made into the coin. There is luster on top of it, but the mark probably knocks the grade a point.

The PCGS grades from the FUN 2002 show were 53, 58, 63, 62, 63. The 23s is the nicest of the batch, although the personality of the 20s really floats my boat. It's like war paint on that Indian!

Fairlaineman, you are the man when it comes to grading them from pics! You were just a hair from being 5/5 on them, which puts you in the grading room at PCGS (although the coins were low balled!!!)

Thanks again, I really learned something from this post, and it is always nice to learn more about coins you own. In my humble opinion, all four of these coins should go MS all day long.
    Doug
  • Options

It's funny that ANACS and PCGS would differ by so much on the 20-D. Without question, you should resubmit it. There are no indications of wear from what I see in the image. Only a very poor strike.

Great thread!

• Options
    coolkarmacoolkarma Posts: 512 ✭✭
    Hello DMWJR,
    I'm too late to guess the grades, but I'll offer a few comments (of course, it's always easier to comment after the fact than before). Based in part on a few AU58's I've received in the recent past, IMHO the high points on the obverse are the Indian's check and eye brow. On the reverse, both the upper leg/shoulder and the hip up to the boney area near the bison's back are high points. The split tail on many issues is more an indicator of strike than probable wear (if it shows wear, so will other areas). Unfortunately, your lighting highlights the boney area making it appear to be worn slightly in most cases. Note that these area are not quite the same as Halperin indicates in his book, "How to Grade U.S. Coins". Your experience may vary... Nonethess,

1920-d: The boney area and possibly the hip appear to show wear. The mark on the cheek happens to be at a wear high point, making it suspicious (and likely to show even the tiniest wear). The mark and the weak strike apparently yield the 53.

1920-s: The color on the obverse is suspicious, at least in the image. On the reverse, the boney area appears flat. It could be from strike, but it is worth a closer look. The mark heading north from the P n Pluribus likely is from a clashed die.

1923-s: Very nice. Liberty appears a little weak, but overall well-struck. Not enough "pizzaz" (in the image) to be a 64.

1924-d: Not a great strike but I would say above average for the date. The boney area again looks a bit worn. I would have guessed 58 or 55. In hand, it should be easier to see. The marks under the belly and elsewhere on the reverse likely dropped it to 62.

1925-d: Again I would say well-struck for the date. The eye brow appears to have a few marks and the boney area is questionable. I would have guessed either 58 or 63. It has fewer reverse marks than the 1924-d.

Overall some well-struck coins for some very difficult dates. Thanks for the opportunity. Enjoy (I did)! image

CoolKarma
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    DMWJR nice thread and certainly not your run of the mill grading thread. Its a real pleasure when a collector puts some coins up that have unusual striking problems from the different mints. Threads like this provide much education for a collector.

In your opinion is the 20D Mint State and was it Market Graded ? When I looked at it I really saw no wear.

Thanks Again.

Cheers.

Ken
  • Options

<< <i>After further review, I want to change the grade for the 20-D to MS61.

DOES THIS LOOK FAMILIAR?

image >>

Ken, I think it is MS and so did ANACS. Click the link in Shamika's post to see the coin in an ANACS 61 holder.
    Doug

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file