Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

How do you sell your first card?

I often see remarks on the Board about a seller's lack of positive feedback or lack of other sales as a negaitve that would scare away buyers. So how do you get over the hump of selling the first card. If buyers will be suspicious because you haven't sold before what do you do? I would be afraid to try to sell a nice card on Ebay as my first offering because of the concerns that would arise. Do you sell a bunch of low priced cards just to establish some positive feedback before you try to sell a nice card? I am a small time collector but would like to be able to sell a nice card from time to time but I am concerned you can't get market value if you only sell a few. Appreciate any comments and/or advice.

Comments

• Options
    wufdudewufdude Posts: 356
    I've always heard to start out buying items until you get your feedback built up. If I see someone with a 100 rating, I don't normally look to see if it was buying or selling.
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are a couple of things you can do. I would start out by buying 10 or 15 small items to get your feedback up. Then, I would sell a few things that you wouldn't mind getting less than "Ebay Value" for. Believe me, hardly anybody will buy an expensive item from a low feedback seller, including myself. But, I would, however, buy an inexpensive item. When I first started, I got much less for items than I do now. Now, I have over 1300 feedback. Everybody has to start though.

Good luck.

Shane

• Options
    KnucklesKnuckles Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭
    yup.

Sell crap around the house that you no longer want and cards of low value first to establish positive feedback. Then sell the higher priced cards after.
  • Options
    lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    When I first started on EBAY i was unaware of what feedback even meant. I bought many items and sellers took my money.

I probably had 100 feedback before I sold my first items. $5- $20 items. The implications of my feedback, which was 100% at that time , still meant nothing to me.

Now almost four years later with 667 feedback (99.7) I can tell you what feedback means.

Before I bid on a high ticket item, I am going to closely scrutinize feedback.......any hint of inpropriety whether real or incidental and I will not bid on item. Having feedback of less then 10 could be construed as incidental impropriety in my book.

On a $20 item i might take a chance, even with a seller with no feedback.

MY ADVISE: If you are going to sell a high ticket item wait until you accumulate some feedback.
    Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    I agree that it's best to build up feedback before selling anything, much less a big ticket item. That said, there are some things that might make bidders feel a bit more confident about dealing with a new seller. Here are a few off the top of my head, but I'm sure others have more:

Make a brief statement acknowleding your zero or low feedback. I'd say that you understand that some bidders may be concerned about the low feedback and that you are willing to take any reasonable steps to reassure bidders that you are legit.
    Post a picture of you holding the card (so we know you didn't just steal the scan)
    Accept payapl (so buyers have some protection outside of ebay)
    Make your auction look professional with nice scans and a full description (so you don't look like a kid or like you're trying to hide anything)
    State that the item is available for personal inspection and personal pickup (by the winner)
    State that you will allow buyers to use escrow.com (at their expense, of course)

Just my opinion...and welcome to the boards!

• Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭
    Make a brief statement acknowleding your zero or low feedback. I'd say that you understand that some bidders may be concerned about the low feedback and that you are willing to take any reasonable steps to reassure bidders that you are legit.

That works for me (as a buyer). It might sound corny, but a statement such as "I realize that I don't have much history as a seller, so I am determined to make the buyer happy". Also, clearly state how you intend to ship the item (hard-top loader in a bubble envelope, for example) as well as how fast (next day, checks need to clear, etc.). Personally, I'm more concerned that a new seller will not package a card properly than I am about not getting the item.

You could also go so far as to offer free shipping or something like that until your feedback is built up.
  • Options
    SoFLPhillyFanSoFLPhillyFan Posts: 3,931 ✭✭

<< <i>yup.

Sell crap around the house that you no longer want and cards of low value first to establish positive feedback. Then sell the higher priced cards after. >>

Put very simply, and exactly how I started.

Come to think of it, this is what I still do....but people are willing to pay a little more!
  • Options
    oz_in_ohiooz_in_ohio Posts: 184 ✭✭

How do i list some cards...cant find the way to get in

• Options

The hard part and most frustrating part is when you only receive feedback on 1 out of 5 items you sell!!