Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Okay, VAMMERS, or Morgan peops in general...what is this on my 89P? - many pics

I've checked my VAM book and don't see this one...maybe its not a VAM? What is it then? This coin features three die cracks plus an unusual raised area near the wreath on the reverse. Here are some pics...they are blurry (shot through 10x loupe).

First pic: Raised area just inside the right branch of the wreath. YES, it IS raised. You can also see one of the die cracks spiking into the top of the E in AMERICA and running into the R.

Second pic: First die crack (mentioned above) in the E in AMERICA:

Third pic: Long die crack running from the left-hand star across the top of UNIT:

Fourth pic: Small die crack spiking through eagle's right wing. Sorry, this pic didn't turn out well.:

If anyone wants to know, this is an 1889P in an old rattler, MS63.
Send Email or PM for free veterinary advice.

Comments

• Options
    CoppernicusCoppernicus Posts: 1,764
    I'm no expert here, but your first pic had me thinking, "die clash." The other pics may or not be supportive of this. I don't know because I don't know the dies well enough. (I know a die clash on an early Linc thouh!)

Could this be just a die clash?

Mike
    Coppernicus

Lincoln Wheats (1909 - 1958) Basic Set - Always Interested in Upgrading!
  • Options
    MonstavetMonstavet Posts: 1,235 ✭✭
    That is what I want to know. It seems as good an explanation as any...but then again, no one else has offered another yet...It is 1:15 in the morning though.
  • Options
    TUMUSSTUMUSS Posts: 2,207
    The first pic is a common die clash mark.
  • Options
    Just to make sure, VAM designations are not given for die clashes, but they are given for die cracks, correct? ALL die cracks? I have the book, but it is still not clear to me what qualifies as VAMS and what does not.
  • Options

<< <i>...maybe its not a VAM? >>

<< <i>Just to make sure, VAM designations are not given for die clashes, but they are given for die cracks, correct? ALL die cracks? I have the book, but it is still not clear to me what qualifies as VAMS and what does not. >>

<< <i>The first pic is a common die clash mark. >>

WRONG!!

ALL Morgans have a VAM. Some are common some are not. The photos are not clear enough but this is what I suspect:

In Leroy Van Allen's March 2005 updates to the VAM Encyclopedia there's mention about VAM-19A (R6 Very rare-several hundred) with a die break on top of the eagle's right wing showing as a short parallel bar or VAM-19B (R5 Rare- Several thousands) showing a tripled clash die with faint double partial "n" of "In" from reverse showing next to Liberty's head/neck.

I'm thinking yours is probably a VAM-19B.

So yours appears to me to be a "not so common" common die clash and there may be other clashes on your coin you just haven't picked up on yet!! That one shows the dies "clashed" (slammed together) a least a few times due to planchet mis-feeds before your coin was struck.

For example: The VAM-1A 1886-O "E on Reverse" TOP-100 coin has clashes on that right wreath area with some having seven clashes there and two clashes there on others.

The VAM Encyclopedia talks about them on pp119-121 but the "generally not collectible" statement there is no longer entirely valid.

There is a whole new series of clashed die Morgans attributed as VAMs (most of them end in a suffix with an "A" designation and an whole new book (and Variety series like the TOP-100) being written for publication as we speak.

You can learn a little about the book at my eBay link to my Die Clash tool--->Die Clash Tool . You can also see a lot of the clashed die VAM photos and the text descriptions for the VAM-19 A & B at the Ashmore website. ASHMORE VAM UPDATES.

Take a good look around your coin because other clashes may be there that you just haven't noticed yet (that's the purpose of my tool... to help see what COULD be there).

These could make your coin more valuable to Clashed Die collectors as they are more rare than coins in their "normal" condition because there's much less of them.

Die cracks normally can help determine early or late die state (EDS/LDS) and are also used quite extensively to VAM attribute the 1921 coins. I believe Rob Joyce has a book and part of his website pretty much devoted to the 1921 VAMs. Rob Joyce Rare Coins

Some big lumpy die break VAMS have also made their way into the TOP-100 and Hot-50 lists as well.

DIE BREAKS AND CLASHES ARE COOL!! image

If I only had a dollar for every VAM I have...err...nevermind...I do!! image

My "Fun With 21D" Die State Collection - QX5 Pics Attached
    -----
    Proud Owner of
    2 –DAMMIT BOY!!! ® Awards
  • Options
    ibzman350ibzman350 Posts: 5,315
    Is there such a thing as a double die clash ???

the first pic looks the dies clashed twice.

Herb
    Remember it's not how you pick your nose that matters, it's where you put the boogers.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,732 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Is there such a thing as a double die clash ???

the first pic looks the dies clashed twice. >>

Yes. In this case, there is a very slight rotation between what looks like three clashes. The 1886 VAM 1C has five distinct clashes. Three in one grouping, then a 10 or so degree rotation, then two more. This is probably the only die clash Morgan given a separate VAM designation due to a die clash that did not involve a letter transfer from one side to the other.

As for die cracks, they have to be thick die breaks, with a piece of the die missing, to be cataloged separately.
  • Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭
    For example, a VAM-3 coin would be VAM-3 with or without a clash. However, strong clashes with letter transfer can earn a unique
    vam designation.

When the clash results in reverse letters from 'In God we trust' appearing faintly on the obverse neck area, a new VAM-3A would
    be assigned. Also, clashes where Obverse letters from LibErty (Note the 'E') appear under the eagles tail becoming clashed 'E' reverse
    coins. These are usually scarce and in great demand in AU and above especially the 1889-O VAM-1A (Note the 'A' designation),
    1891-O VAM-1A, etc. I always check the neck area and under the eagles tail when you have a clashed Morgan dollar. It's fun!

The most famous clash is probably the spectacular 1889 VAM-23A where nearly the entire word 'IN' appears upside down next to the neck.
    Only 3 specimens are known. One sold for over 7,000 dollars in 2004.
  • Options
    Thanks for all of the great responses. I have been on these boards for years now and am always amazed at what a newbie I am. I am going to check out MAD4MORGANS site now. If any of you knowledgeable types think this is worth looking closer at, or could even get better pics, I would be happy to send the coin to you for closer examination. Thanks again!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file