Home U.S. Coin Forum

What % of the non-problem coins in your series are certified?

RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
In rare gold, I would guess (purely a guess) that upwards of 80% of collectible coins are certified by PCGS/NGC. I have heard collectors of seated series say that many coins remain uncertified and many as well certified by ANACS. In your series of interest, what percentage of coins do you think are certified by PCGS/NGC. Exclude problems coins or those that would be considered undesirable to most serious collectors of a series (ie. 1963 Frankie in VG, 1982 Lincoln cent in VF, etc.).

Comments

• cladkingcladking Posts: 28,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    .000001% of mintage or about .00004% of surviving coins.
    Tempus fugit.
  • BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    In my Seated and Bust dimes, I'd guesstimate 15-20% are slabbed.
  • ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭
    It would be easy to say that less than 1% of surviving colonials are slabbed, yet in certain coins - Myddleton Tokens, for example - the total number slabbed is nearly 50% of the number historically purported to be in existence.

As of today there are 13 silver and 6 copper Myddeltons listed in the pop report. One of the copper coins is miscategorized (unless it has subsequently been corrected, which I highly doubt) and is actually a Copper Co. mule, which leaves 5 legitimate copper examples. Note that I have seen most of them and this isn't merely a case of rampant resubmission of the same small number of coins.

Auction lot descriptions and Breen through the years have listed approximately 20 in silver and 10 in copper in total thought to survive, which while it may be too low isn't off by more than say, half. So, assuming 40 silver and 20 copper in exitence, about 30% of these things have been to PCGS.

I have no idea what this means, other than the apparent fact that certain high grade and/or expensive colonials are perhaps more prone to be slabbed than others.

OK then, I am going to go have breakfast.

• JrGMan2004JrGMan2004 Posts: 7,557

<< <i>In my Seated and Bust dimes, I'd guesstimate 15-20% are slabbed. >>

I would think for Busties, that is pretty close... and that's mostly the AU and MS coins for type collectors, and then for earlier Bust coins, a lot of collector grade coins also seem to be slabbed...
    -George
    42/92
  • anablepanablep Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gee, that's a good question. I don't know how many Morgans are slabbed. I have the Bowers book on Morgans, and I know he estimates that information for each grade and each year, but probably 20-30% of Morgans are in PCGS or NGC. I could be totally off. I see so many unslabbed Morgans at shows or in coin shops. But then, there are many more Morgans in ANACS holders (especially for VAMS) and then all the others (PCI, IGC, NTC, SEGS, blahblahblah).

Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • RYK,

In your series, rare gold, how much population growth (measured by the combined number of PCGS & NGC populations) has occured in the last year? I don't have historic populations but I would think if a larger numer of coins are already slabbed, then slabbed growth of those coins would be small.
    ...AlaBill
  • DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    Robert, I'm fond of Indian $5's, and the number holdered is tiny. The 29 was obviously saved in rolls based on the quality of the holdered pops, and of the 662,000 minted, PCGS/NGC have holdered 441 pieces in all grades (only 34 pieces below MS60). I'm guessing a portion of those are resubmits and crossovers. Based on the submission rate for coins like the 11-D, which had a much smaller mintage, there should be 3700 of the 29's holdered. Total mintage of the 11-D was 72,500 pieces, as opposed to 662,000 for the 29, yet there are over 1100 11-D's holdered (PCGS/NGC). If only 5% of the Indian 5$'s survived the 34 melt, only 1.5% of the surviving 29s have been submitted. It is one of the series keys. Maybe since they were ultra-moderns in 33, the majority of the coins that survived were dealer/collector coins, or they never left the bank vaults. If 5% is accurate there are 32,000+ 29's still unholdered. If only 1% of the mintage survived, there are 6000 raw ones around somewhere. The PCGS priceguide lists that coin at $7500 in EF.
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭
    x

Where x = (sqrt(-1) * G / (1.9 * r^2)) * pi
  • RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In your series, rare gold, how much population growth (measured by the combined number of PCGS & NGC populations) has occured in the last year? I don't have historic populations but I would think if a larger numer of coins are already slabbed, then slabbed growth of those coins would be small.

Good question, Bill. I do not have the answer, but I do not believe population growth over the last couple years has much to do with new coins being slabbed as much as it has to do with the same old coins getting regraded. I highly doubt that there are 54 1845-D $5's in NGC AU-58 holders. I would be surpised if there were more than ten or twelve.

Aside, has anyone else noticed how annoying it is to look up pops over at NGC with their new census layout? image
  • RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don, I am not sure I follow your entire argument as presented, but suffice to say, the more rare, valuable, and in-demand a coin is, the more likely it will be slabbed compared to other coins in the same series. Example, there are about 1200 16-D merc dimes slabbed at PCGS vs. about 1000 slabbed 16-s dimes.
  • TrimeTrime Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭
    With the exception of a large cache of mint purchased US and foreign coins and a collection of circulated coins collected as a child, essentially all of my coins are slabbed by TPG (NGC and PCGS).
    Trime
    the more rare, valuable, and in-demand a coin is, the more likely it will be slabbed compared to other coins in the same series.

The 29 doesn't follow that rule. image There were 10 times more 29s minted than 11-D's, yet there are more 11-D's submitted. The 29 is one of the keys to the series, and sells for more in xf than an 11-D in MS-60.
  • mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Don't know. A pretty decent percentage of proof indains are certified, I think there are still quite a few out there that are OK but not cert yet.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
    Robert, the 45-D pop has increased at PCGS by 6 coins since April 2002. That number is so small it could easily be resubmissions.
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As higher grade type coins go (MS/PF64 to 67) nearly all the worthwhile specimens on the market are slabbed. Probably >90%.
    I'd say that maybe 50-80% of the total population of these is now slabbed. The pops continue to go up at 5-20% per year however resubmits play a role in that. There are many specific type coins that show very little growth over the past 5-10 years. One of my favorites is MS64/64 draped bust quarters. Unfortunately I've never been able to buy one.

roadrunner

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,776 ✭✭✭✭
    With Buffalo nickels, it would depend on the date/mint, but overall I would guess less than 1%.

There are still rolls of uncirculated Buffalo nickels from the late 30's that show up at auction quite often.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    I would say that rare date gold is around 90%
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭

Aside, has anyone else noticed how annoying it is to look up pops over at NGC with their new census layout?
    Yes, I think the new NGC census system is terrible. The speed is only about 25% of what the old system had.

As to the question of this thread, all I can say is that any Bust Halves that I purchase will be slabbed by PCGS/NGC/ANACS/ICG.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • morgannut2morgannut2 Posts: 4,293
    I'd guess less than 5% of all the certifiable Morgans due to the large number of ungraded GSA coins, plus the AU/EF album collectors. Most full albums would have 7 or 8 coins worth sending to a TPG.
    morgannut2
  • numonebuyernumonebuyer Posts: 2,136
    No more than 25%.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Aside, has anyone else noticed how annoying it is to look up pops over at NGC with their new census layout?
    Yes, I think the new NGC census system is terrible. The speed is only about 25% of what the old system had.

As to the question of this thread, all I can say is that any Bust Halves that I purchase will be slabbed by PCGS/NGC/ANACS/ICG. >>

I wouldn't complain about NGC pops format since they are given away FREE on their web site unlike the other two top tier grading services.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭

roadrunner
    Expert Collector

Sunday May 29, 2005 12:56 PM

As higher grade type coins go (MS/PF64 to 67) nearly all the worthwhile specimens on the market are slabbed. Probably >90%.
    I'd say that maybe 50-80% of the total population of these is now slabbed. The pops continue to go up at 5-20% per year however resubmits play a role in that. There are many specific type coins that show very little growth over the past 5-10 years. One of my favorites is MS64/64 draped bust quarters. Unfortunately I've never been able to buy one.

roadrunner

*******************************************************************************

excellent post as usual roadrunner

better date sleeper trade dollars in ms64 and above for many the pops have had little growth in the last 5-10 years

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file