Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Go for it? Thanks to Ken, there's a pic posted.

I went to a Antiques & Collectibles shop yesterday. Looking through their selection, I came across a 1917

type 1 SLQ that he/she has graded AU. It's toned, FH, and a nice all around good lookin' coin. The original

crossed out price was $175 now $150. I told the proprietor to call the owner of the coin(s) to see if I could

get a better price; she in turn, called me today saying the owner will go no lower than $140. MAN...The coin's

a "Real looker!" I'd hate to pass on it; however, my knowledge regarding SLQs is NIL.image

Do you think I should GO FOR IT?image

Tom
What is money, in reality, but dirty pieces of paper and metal upon which privilege is stamped?

Comments

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,320 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you looked at other ones?
    I don't know the bid/ask but is it about right?

If you like it, and have the chance to look at it in person (which you have), then for that amount, I would say "go for it"...if you really like it.
    If you "overpay" by a few dollars, so what? You will have seen it and are already saying it is PQ looking, right?
    May not be a pure "rip" but a good coin nonetheless.

Heck, if you get it, take a pic, and decide you don't want it, and it hasn't been cleaned or monkey'ed with, give me a shout and I would like it buy it from you for no loss for you (I am looking for a type1 for my type set).

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    don't know anything about them either but if YOU like it at 140. go for it!
    steve

myCCset
  • Options
    razorface1027razorface1027 Posts: 4,242 ✭✭
    Have you looked at other ones?

Yes! At one time I'd owned one in NGC AU-53 if memory serves me, may've been 55. It tops the one that I'd owned.

May not be a pure "rip" but a good coin nonetheless Oh, indeed!image

Tom
    What is money, in reality, but dirty pieces of paper and metal upon which privilege is stamped?
  • Options
    stev32kstev32k Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭
    Based on Heritage auction prices $140 seems a fair price for an uncertified AU 1917 T 1. They seem to go for about $184 for an uncleaned AU58
    Who is General Failure, and why is he reading my hard drive?
  • Options
    ksteelheaderksteelheader Posts: 11,777
    Damn it, Tom, if you like the coin, BUY IT! You will not be sorry!image
  • Options
    RickMilauskasRickMilauskas Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Damn it, Tom, if you like the coin, BUY IT! You will not be sorry! >>

Ditto
  • Options
    stephunterstephunter Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭
    I came across a similar situation about a year and half ago. I saw a 1837 reeded edge half dollar that looked about XF-AU with great toning on it for $130.00. I suspected that it may have been cleaned in the past, but I loved the look of the coin. Bought it, it has been cleaned, but I still like it. I submitted it to Ncs and had it graded "AU details, cleaned".

• Options
    MikeInFLMikeInFL Posts: 10,188 ✭✭✭✭
    I say yes. It's a great coin. I may be biased, however, because at this point my type 1 SLQ is the hightlight of my collection. image Take care...Mike
    Collector of Large Cents, US Type, and modern pocket change.
  • Options
    Welp...After the best out of 5 flips of a coin, picking heads of course, heads won and I went and purchased it.image The coin looks much better than I'd thought. Ken (ksteelheader) is going to try and post the pic I sent him of the coin. Hope it works!image

Tom
  • Options
    Here you go!!!

• Options
    Thanks, Ken...You da man!image

Tom
  • Options
    JcarneyJcarney Posts: 3,154

<< <i>Yes! At one time I'd owned one in NGC AU-53 if memory serves me, may've been 55. It tops the one that I'd owned >>

Buy it then. It sounds like a decent deal. I'm looking to upgrade this for my 7070.

17 SLQ T1
    “When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.” — Benjamin Franklin

My icon IS my coin. It is a gem 1949 FBL Franklin.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,320 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not bad Tom.

John, for the wear and the grade, that one doesn't look too bad at all!

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    BoomBoom Posts: 10,165
    One day while at the local shop I spotted one. At one time growing up as teenager I had almost a complete set. Naturally, no 16 or 17, but at this shop a few years back I came across one that had just a light touch a tining on it. There was virtually no wear. It was gorgeous. Bought it and a while back submitted it as a freebie. The coin has a FH with the only wear being right on her right knee area.
    I was terribly disappointed when it came back PCGS AU 50...NO WAY MAN, but what do you expect for a so called free submission... Until I master posting I may get smoeone to post it for me. It must be a 58 and has a FH but PCGS didn't attribute it and the grading, in retrospect, was a harbinger of what was to come so far this year. I suppose they graded it as such so I'd resubmit it for real money vs "Free". Gorgeous old Lady. Nice Full Boob too!image
  • Options
    Don't laugh. I'm still tryin' to learn on my own.

Well, it's a start. ttt
  • Options
    imageimage
  • Options
    uh-oh....we just learned another lesson....not to delete them from the upload box!image

Two outta 3 ain't bad!image
  • Options
  • Options

• Options
    It's been graded ?

• Options
    Ahhhhhhhh. NOW you get the idea. THAT AIN'T NO AU-50 ! Playtime over. Thanks Ken! image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file