Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Jeff guys what's up with this?

stev32kstev32k Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭
Here is a Jeff nickel I've had laying around for a long time - don't even remember where I got it. Look at the forehead and front of the collar they look doubled. Also notice under the chin looks like he didn't shave there. There is also a die break from the "4" in 1954 to the bottom of the bust, and what looks like die polish lines in several places. I don't think the coin has ever been circulated, but it has to be one of the worst strikes I've seen (but haven't seen that many). The reverse also looks pretty bad. There is almost no detail. Is this from circulation or is it just a poor strike. Is there any value to the coin?

Who is General Failure, and why is he reading my hard drive?

Comments

• Options
    spy88spy88 Posts: 764 ✭✭
    This is actually quite a typical strike for most 1954's and 1953's too. The area under the chin is one of the telltale areas that make this a LDS (late die state) coin. The metal just didn't flow into certain areas of the design from worn dies, poor annealing process and a general lack of concern by the mint for the poor quality it was producing.

I have a few rolls of this date and some of them look just as bad as this one or worse. Some look better. Given that the lack of detail isn't extended to the rims lettering, I'd say yours is just "as minted" and not due to circulation. With so many hits, nicks, scratches and poor strike along with probably no luster, it's worth oh...5 cents.
    Everything starts and everything stops at precisely the right time for precisely the right reason.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file