Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

sacagawea error

I found two a sacagawea errors in rolls that I opened. Both rolls were circulated with susan b anthony dollars in the rolls. I am wondering what kind of error they are. One is silver in color and it looks like it was struck on a susan b anthony coin but it is really dirty. And the other one has the normal gold on one side and a copper color on the other side. At first I thout that it was just missing the clad layer but it is also about 1/4 smaller than a regular sacagawea dollar and when it is tapped on something it makes a different sound than a normal sacagawea dollar. Any thoughts would be a great help. Thanks Mike.

Comments

• Options
    eyoung429eyoung429 Posts: 6,374
    Welcome aboard!!!!!

Ya gotta do the picture dance.....we can't tell if we can't see them.
    This is a very dumb ass thread. - Laura Sperber - Tuesday January 09, 2007 11:16 AM image

Hell, I don't need to exercise.....I get enough just pushing my luck.
  • Options
    Sounds interesting. Are you able to post any pictures for us? If not, see what a dealer has to say.

Good luck.
  • Options
    7summits7summits Posts: 316 ✭✭
    yes, yes, pix so we can see what you've got image
  • Options
    I just got a camera so I should have some pictures up soon.
  • Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,427 ✭✭✭✭
    Coin number two could possible missing the outer manganese layer, which would let the coin make a different sound I think. When you say smaller, do you mean thinner or smaller diameter?

Coin number one may just be "used". Sacs turn a nasty and ugly color after a while.
  • Options
    I ment to say thinner. Sorry about that
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,453 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard.

If memory serves the clad layers on the Sacs are much thicker proportionally than the other clads.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    BikingnutBikingnut Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭
    And the other one has the normal gold on one side and a copper color on the other side.

I know for a fact that the Sac dollars tone to an ugly copper color when left out in the open. My daughter left one in her sand box for about a month. Looked like a large cent when it was rescued from the sand.
    US Navy CWO3 retired. 12/81-09/04

Looking for PCGS AU58 Washington's, 32-63.
  • Options
    I heard they were making a French version of Medal of Honor. I wonder how many hotkeys it'll have for "surrender."
  • Options
    NumisMeNumisMe Posts: 841 ✭✭
    Sorry Mike, but that link is on AOL and we would have to have a login to see it. image
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,400 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i> know for a fact that the Sac dollars tone to an ugly copper color when left out in the open. My daughter left one in her sand box for about a month. Looked like a large cent when it was rescued from the sand. >>

Yup. I just found a 2000-D with my detector. It was almost an inch deep, below the grass. Brown, just like a clad quarter would be, but I knew right away it was something different, because of the plain edge. Had it not been too shallow for a large cent, my heart might've skipped a beat.

snowracer- image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file