Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

A "Darksider" Hillbilly appreciation giveaway!!!!!Wybrit's choice now!!!!!

OK!!! First name outta the hat is:

Aethelred!!!!!!

2nd name is:

Wybrit!!!!!!!

3rd name is:

Ajaan!!!!

So Aethelred gets first choice....

I wanna thank everyone for a wonderful thread....i saw some beautiful coins and learned a lot....THANK YOU ALL!!!!!!!

I havn't done a giveaway here mainly cause i havn't felt like i had anythang worthy to give away to such a special group of people.....image

But i am gonna try....you all have welcomed me and Deb with open arms, put up with my stupid questions and quite honestly have resurected my coin collecting enthusiasm..... Besides the Canadian halves that i am collecting i really don't have a whole lot of darkside stuff....a few special coins i have picked up along the way and some that i just like and some great coins i have won in some of your giveaways (that ain't goin nowhere)....but i do have 3 coins i would like to give to you guys in an effort to show you our appreciation for welcoming me and Deb the way you have.....image

They aren't anything great, but i know ya'll will understand the meaning behind the giveaway.....

so...here goes....all ya gotta do to git into the drawing is one thing.....

Post a pic of your favorite or most interesting darkside coin and describe it for me (ya'll know i'm a dumbazz ole hillbilly)image
and you are entered....i'll get Deb ta draw a name outta my hat Saturday nite (4-30-05) at 9:00 pm mtn time...

1st name gets his/her choice...
Then she'll draw the 2nd name and that person gets their choice...
Then the 3rd name gets stuck with the last one...

1st coin....

1817 PL Unc. 4Pence Groat....(still ain't found that dam goat on there)

2nd coin....

1902 Shilling...(sposed ta be unc.)

3rd coin.....

1870 Peru 1sol ms60....

I know they ain't nuthin special, but me and Deb just wanna give somethin back to you all to show we appreciate you all and your kindness that you all have shown us.....image

AND...we get ta see smoe more great coins!!!!!!! image

Comments

• Options
    wybritwybrit Posts: 6,961 ✭✭✭
    Sign me up and go, Nuggets!!

Threehalfpence, 1862, Great Britain.

Not officially a British coin, but used in the West Indies and Ceylon as legal tender there. The coin has no markings indicating it is colonial, so it is now classified as part of the British coin series. What is cool about this coin it that it is like an outcast maundy piece, resembling the reverse of the 1d, 2d, 3d and 4d. It lacks the prooflike finish of maundy coins and can serve as a useful model to tell what the characteristics of a for-circulation coin of that era are. Why is that useful? Many sellers try to pawn off maundy 3ds as currency pieces because of the huge price differential betwen the two.
    Former owner, Cambridge Gate collection.
  • Options

<< <i>Sign me up and go, Nuggets!! >>

imageGO NUGGETS!!!!! But ya still gotta post a pic o one o them coins o your's Wibrit!!!!!image
  • Options
    I wuz working on it. Quality posts take time...
  • Options

<< <i>I wuz working on it. Quality posts take time... >>

imageCOOL!!!!!! That's neat Wybrit!!!! I learned somethin on the first post!!!!!!!image
  • Options
    farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    Here's a picture of my favorite coin (now if you had included tokens I might have answered differently image )

The last of the farthings designed by Pistrucci, to be replaced mid-year with a new design by William Wyon. George IV was not pleased with the Pistrucci's effigy and wanted Pistrucci to copy a bust done by Sir Francis Chantrey that George IV approved of. Pistrucci refused and was effectively replaced as the mints chief engraver by William Wyon who had no problem copying another artist's work.

Others use this coin for their icon here but I own the coin! image
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • Options
    It's a nice coin.

Other than being a nice coin the Great Mutiny ended in the year 1858 and lead to the end of British East India Company rule over India and the establishment of direct British control over India, which is why this coin is so nice as the BEIC coins were demonitized.
    Corrupting youth since 2004
  • Options
    imageMAN!!! This is gonna work out great!!! Thanks guys....those are PURDY!!!!!!!image
  • Options
    DesertRatDesertRat Posts: 1,791

Hey!! It's all I got! If it wasn't for McDonalds I wouldn't even have this one!

• Options
    imageThat's an interesting coin DR!!! Cool lookin Dude on there!!!!!
  • Options
    Just got this little aluminum Somaliland 5 shilling commemorating Richard F. Burton. Who's that you say? Not the actor but a very busy guy in his lifetime, explorer of Africa, South America and Iceland, soldier in the Crimean War, survived a 300 man assasination squad in the Middle East, secret agent in holy Mecca, translated and published the Kama Sutra, Arabian Nights, and others.
    50 years of adventure
    Brad Swain

World Coin & PM Collector
    My Coin Info Pages <> My All Experts Profile
  • Options
    I'm in Bubba.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    My all time favorite is the UK 5 Pound gold with Pistrucci's St George slaying a dragon. Why? Because it is a very impressive and large coin with a beautiful classic design that has endured (still struck) since it first came out under George III. I love the fact that I can get a pristine modern example of the coin at a price I can afford . image

1981 UK 5 Pound

imageimage

1820 UK 5 Pound pattern

trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • Options

Yugoslavia
    20 dinara
    KM#49
    9.000g, .925 SILVER

Issued to commemorate the 25th Anniversary of the (re-)formation of the Yugoslavian Government during WWII, in the Bosnian town of Jajce, led by Partisan leader Marshall Josep Broz Tito. The obverse design shows the mountains of Jajce, where the meeting was held, in the background. There are 6 men holding 6 flags, representing the 6 constituent states of Yugoslavia - Bosnia & Herzegovina, Croatia, Macedonia, Montenegro, Serbia, and Slovenia (Vojvodina and Kosovo were later declared autonomous provinces within Serbia, but after Tito's death, Kosovo's autonomy was withdrawn, leading to a continued ethnic conflict). The reverse shows the National Emblem of Yugoslavia. (notice the 6 torches united as one flame) Both the commemorative side (obverse) and the National Emblem carry the date of this meeting, November 29, 1943.
    I'm not afraid to die
    I'm afraid to be alive without being aware of it

• Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    Dave, please accept my entry:

Here are a pair of English Half Groats from the early to mid 1500s that show how Henry VIII aged on his coins.

YOUNG BUST:

OLD BUST:
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    oldshepoldshep Posts: 3,240
    Here is a set consisting of a coin and medal commemorating Yuri Gagarin, the Russian who was the first man in space.
    The medal is interesting in that it is made from metal from an actual space satellite that had orbited the earth and was recovered.
    imageimage

Shep
  • Options
    The Gagarin coin is way cool! image
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • Options
    Well i kinda like this one...

It's English, it's a hammered silver penny and it's from the reign of King Edward I (Longshanks... of Braveheart fame). Struck at the Bristol mint in 1280, i know this one to the year because it's Class 2B and 2B was only struck in that year.

Edward I of course conquered Wales and subjected it to English rule (most of it already was technically part of Engand anyhow). After the unfortunate demise of Alexander III of Scotland (unfortunate being the word since he accidentally fell off of a cliff... long story, but that's what can happen when you've got sex on the brain and you're not watching where your horse is going).

Edward was asked to sort out a dispute between the Scottish nobles over whom should succeed. Edward placed John Balliol forward because John would owe his position to Edward and hopefully could be manipulated. Edward eventually decided to take more direct action and attemted to conquer Scotland altogether, he had some success but never could assert his authority completely, infact he died near the Scottish border in 1307 whilst on his way up to sort out a rebellion. Thus ended the reign of Edward Hammer of the Scots... his son Edward II succeeded and soon lost everything his father had strove for, before coming to a rather unpleasant end.

• Options
    My first coin I ever posted is still my favorite:

1799, ½ Scudo, Piedmont Republic, 37mm.

This country was established by Napoleon when he swept through northern Italy and lasted just over six months. There were two varieties of this coin minted for a total mintage of 450k. But, in a note in Répertoire des Monnaies Napoléonides we're told that the vast majority of the coins were melted down by the Austro-Russian forces that reconquered the country leaving a surviving population of possibly less than 1,000 coins. I love the imagery of Liberty crossing the French mountains to the plains of Piedmont. The coin was engraved by the Turin medallist Lavy.
    Vern
    You want how much?!!
    NapoleonicMedals.org
    (Last update 3/6/2007)
  • Options

Here is the 2002 Golden Jubilee crown, from the old country. Really nothing spectacular and probably sells for less than face value on the bay of flea, if you can even find anyone bothering to try to move it! I like it for two reasons though, the Queen on horseback is always impressive and reminds that I dream of a type set of British monarchs on horseback (can anyone comment on how hard that would be?) and I just like the way the caught Maam with her backward glance of distain, makes me wonder how difficult it is for engravers to balance accuracy and insult when they create a new image of a craggy monarch. Just compare how well Victoria looked in the veiled head design and what the Canadians are doing to Liz II in their latest designs

Dr J

P.S. Please enter me in your generous giveaway
  • Options
    skingspanskingspan Posts: 519 ✭✭
    Not sure if this is my favorite darkside but it is mu latest acquision. It is a copper two pence sometimes called a cartwheel. Really thick coin and because of this they are subject to rim dings. This is pretty nice circulated example. Love that ugly mug on old george as well.

• Options
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭

Order of Malta---John the Baptist's Head---I like it because every time I post it, someone says it looks like TWODOGSimage
    Becky
  • Options

<< <i>image

Order of Malta---John the Baptist's Head---I like it because every time I post it, someone says it looks like TWODOGSimage >>

imageimage
  • Options

Obverse - A man is hanging upon a gallows with the letters P T and a human eye between them. Behind the gallows is a pole bearing a Cap of Liberty and ornamented with laurel branches. To the right of this is an obelisk inscribed 1796 and PEACE. In the foreground is an oval shield bearing an anchor and the inscription HOPE. While Papal and Royal emblems: a rosary, cross, bishop's crozier and triple crown, and sword, mace and regal crown are scattered on the ground.
    Legend - LIBERTY AND NOT SLAVERY

Reverse - The cypher LCS within a circle of leaves.
    Legend - DEDICATED · TO · THE · LONDON · CORRESPONDING · SOCIETY · in the outer circle. MAY · THEIR · ENDEAVOURS · MEET · REWARD

Edge - Milled.

Notes - It was common practice when publishing libelous material to print the first and last letter of the individual's name, leaving the reader to fill in the blank. This flimsy expedient was sufficient to evade the laws of libel. In the obverse legend the diesinker has left little to chance; P eye T could hardly be mistaken for anyone but William Pitt, the Prime Minister. Pitt began his political life as a supporter of Parliamentary Reform, but with his accession to power he was forced to suppress the more seditious elements in their aims to overthrow the government. He proposed the suspension of the Habeas Corpus Act to suppress sedition and conspiracy which received the assent of Parliment in 1794. the sarcastic reference on the obelisk to Peace in 1796 is directed against the Prime Minister, and refers to the abortive mission of Lord Malmesbury to Paris in that year. The reverse design is based on the cypher of the London Corresponding Society; one of the most affected by Pitt's measures. Scarce.

Middlesex/Corresponding Society
    Half Penny
    Copper
    D&H # 290
    Gorgeous Red & Brown UNC
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    Me too:

Cook Islands $1 coin. Full Head if you get my drift!!
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options

<< <i>Me too:

Cook Islands $1 coin. Full Head if you get my drift!! >>

Why am I not surprised? image
    trozau (troy ounce gold)
  • Options
    This one is still my favorite:

1872 Gothic Florin, also my Icon..... I looked at this coin for two days at a show before I bought it,
    was scaret that it might cost too much....... image
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    1632 French States (Maurice De La Tour) copper Double Tournois 26mm

imageimage
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
  • Options
    2 more days!!!!!!!!!!image
  • Options
    1 more day.....
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, I've got a zillion favorites (but very few pictures)...

I really like this one, an old scan of my 1893 double sovereign... it's gold (15.9761 grams/.917 gold = .4708 AGW) and has that wonderful Pistrucci reverse. 1893 was the first year the 'veiled head/bust portriat of Queen Victoria was used. For whatever reason I like that one.

This was my first foray into numismatic darkside gold (as opposed to bullion or bullion-type buys) and I bought it from a board member almost two years ago image.

• Options
    newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭
    imageimage

Ethiopia, 1 birr, Menelik II. Dated 1895EE (1903), these were struck in Paris in 1901, 1903 and 1904.

Menelik II (1844-1913), was the ras (king) of the central Ethiopian province of Shoa, and became emperor in 1889 with Italian support, but became Italy's enemy after he realized Rome intended to colonize his country. Italy was able to seize Eritrea, but Ethiopian forces defeated an Italian invasion at Adowa in 1896, marking the only successful African resistance to European colonization.

Menelik was adept at playing the European powers off against each other. He convinced the British to arm and train his armies, and the French to build a railroad from Addis Ababa to the port of Djibouti, and to coin his money.
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,204 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please enter me. If I win I'll send the coin to Shane.

One of my favorite coins:

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    image Gittin close!!!!
  • Options
    sorry got caught up in the game.......puttin in the names now...give me just a minute!!!!!image
  • Options
    Dang, I won something!!!!!

Thanks Dave!image
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    Congrats guys, way to go! And thanks WhiteLighnin for the chance... image
    Vern
    You want how much?!!
    NapoleonicMedals.org
    (Last update 3/6/2007)
  • Options

<< <i>Dang, I won something!!!!!

Thanks Dave!image >>

Your choice of the three Aethelred!!!! Let me know !!!!!!image
  • Options
    laserartlaserart Posts: 2,255
    I was right in the middle of trying to get a good scan of a chinese coin too. A 10 yuan Temple Lion Piefort
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".
  • Options
    Wow, Chelsea wins the title today and finishes ahead of Arsenal!. image

Wybrit wins a coin and finishes ahead of ajaan (who is older than wybrit and who supports Arsenal)! image

Now if only the Nugpuppies can get off their rears and kick some, the day will be complete! image

Thanks for the giveaway and thanks to the participants who provided some great commentary.
  • Options

<< <i>Wow, Chelsea wins the title today and finishes ahead of Arsenal!. image

Wybrit wins a coin and finishes ahead of ajaan (who supports Arsenal)! image

Now if only the Nugpuppies can get off their rears and kick some, the day will be complete! image

Thanks for the giveaway and thanks to the participants who provided some great commentary. >>

I REALLY enjoyed EVERYONES posts...i learned a heck of alot and saw some beautiful coins....i am gonna have to do this more often!!!!!image
  • Options
    OK!!! Michael takes the 1817 Groat...(still ain't found that dang goat on there)...!!!!!

Wybrit....your choice!!!!!

Shilling or Un Sol??????image
  • Options

<< <i>
    Wybrit wins a coin and finishes ahead of ajaan (who is older than wybrit and who supports Arsenal). >>

I believe both of you are much older than this dead king!image

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    Gosh, so many great pictures, stories, and information. I wish everyone could have won something! image

Congrats to the winners! image
    ~Debbie~
  • Options
    aethelred made a very predictable choice and so will I.

1902 shilling. Thanks again!!

The Nugpups did not win last night. image
  • Options

<< <i>aethelred made a very predictable choice and so will I.

The Nugpups did not win last night. image >>

PM mr your addt Wybrit and i'll get it right out!!!!!!!!!!image

imageYea, i know....dang refs didn't help any either but it was them playin like crap that lost it for em.....
  • Options
    PM sent.
  • Options

<< <i>aethelred made a very predictable choice and so will I.

The Nugpups did not win last night. image >>

I don't think there was any thought involved for either of us Tom, in fact if you had come in first and me second I'll bet we would both have picked the same coins.image

WNC Coins, LLC
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com