Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What coins would you take with you to a party?

If you wanted to take some humorous coins to a party as conversation pieces, which would you take? I'd appreciate all suggestions - U.S. and foreign!

Thanks,

Dan

Comments

• Options
    Marty's Dong Dollar Slab image
    -George
    42/92
  • Options
    George has it !
  • Options
    tsacchtsacch Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭
    a nice cameo lincoln for and morgan dollar.
    buffalo nickles incase trere are kids there.

Family, kids, coins, sports (playing not watching), jet skiing, wakeboarding, Big Air....no one ever got hurt in the air....its the sudden stop that hurts. I hate Hurricane Sandy. I hate FEMA and i hate the blasted insurance companies.
  • Options
    Dong Dollar? I'd love to see it!
  • Options
    clw54clw54 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭
    How about something that most people wouldn't know existed? Like a half cent, two cent, three cent, or twenty cent piece.
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,328 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Arkansas parody quarters - always good for a laugh.
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    People think I'm a big enough geek already. Why would I bring COINS to a PARTY!?! image
    Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    prooflikeprooflike Posts: 3,879 ✭✭
    Nothing says it like a big chunk of gold

• Options
    flaminioflaminio Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The Arkansas parody quarters - always good for a laugh. >>

I agree. The naughty quarters are always fun, and people know what SQs are, so they're quick to check them out.
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,778 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you really want to scare the crap out of someone, there's always the "Auntie Eunice" commemorative.
  • Options
    Humorous? Potty Dollars come to mind... Perhaps hobo nickels... I would always take a serious coin like a DMPL Morgan...
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,762 ✭✭✭✭
    The Cook Island coin without a doubt.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    DD Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭
    1933 Saint

-Daniel
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

-Aristotle

Dum loquimur fugerit invida aetas. Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero.

-Horace
  • Options
    xbobxbob Posts: 1,979
    If it's a really good party - Dollar bills. They tuck into garters better than coins. Oh yea!!

Coins go into slots better though. image

sorry. that response just slipped out.
    -Bob
    collections: Maryland related coins & exonumia, 7070 Type set, and Video Arcade Tokens.
    The Low Budget Y2K Registry Set
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For a party bring the shish-ke-buffs or the speared bison nickels or the extra leaf WI quarters.
    People appeciate things they've seen in the news. Believe it or not older clads in nice condition
    often get people's attention. The second best bet for noncollectors is nice attractive silver an-
    cients. Old US coins will get more response if they're very old and have some wear. Gold will
    also get non-collectors attention sometimes. After that it's anyone's guess but obsolete type
    and denominations can be effective. Really beautiful darkside coins can be noticed.

Non-collectors won't appreciate the subtleties of grade or rarity. They tend to prefer larger coins
    and those with eye catching designs. They also tend to like old more than new.

Hey, there's no accounting for taste.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmmm, coins at a party; not the kind of party I want to go toimage

Chris
    My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The last time I took coins to a party they were Chuck-E-Cheese tokens.
  • Options
    ERER Posts: 7,345

<< <i>Marty's Dong Dollar Slab image >>

• Options
    I always like the gag nickel with the nail in it, that you can hammer into the wooden floor.
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    Late 19th century British pennies. That way you can "give people a penny for their thoughts", without it costing very much.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    carlcarl Posts: 2,054
    If you need to use a coin to perk up a party, your at the wrong party. However, I like the Chuck-E-Cheese token idea. Pulliing one out as if it were a real coin could get some reaction from a parent. Single people don't usually know what that is though.
    Actually now that it has come up I may start carrying some old Missouri Mills that I acquired when I was a kid. No one would know what they are.
    Carl

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file