Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Teletrade Question #2

While I love the Teletrade concept I am finding it hard compared to EBay and Yahoo auctions. My question concerns how you keep track of your coins you are bidding on and how do you know when you are the high bidder?

I put a bid in of $280 for my maximum bid. I last checked the auction around 7 pm and was the current high bidder at $260. The auctions close at 9 pm. I checked back around midnight and found out the coin sold for $280. Problem is I didn't win the coin.

I emailed Teletrade and haven't heard back yet. Any suggestions?
Holes-in-One
1. 7-17-81 Warrenton GC Driver 310 yards 7th Hole (Par 4)
2. 5-22-99 Warrenton GC 6 iron 189 yards 10th Hole
3. 7-23-99 Oak Meadow CC 5 iron 180 yards 17th Hole
4. 9-19-99 Country Lake GC 6 iron 164 yards 15th Hole
5. 8-30-09 Country Lake GC Driver 258 yards 17th Hole (Par 4)

Collector of Barber Halves, Commems, MS64FBL Frankies, Full Step Jeffersons & Mint state Washington Quarters

Comments

• Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    On Teletrade, I don't think there is any way for you to tell if you are the high bidder. Hopefully someone else knows, but I have not been able to figure it out.
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe somebody else put in a bid of 280 before you did? Just a guess.
    mirabela
  • Options

<< <i>Maybe somebody else put in a bid of 280 before you did? Just a guess. >>

I was in a similar situation. When i plugged in my high bid their system alerted me that another bidder already held that bid amount.
    If i wanted to continue i would have to bid to the next increment.

• Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    You can try signing into Teletrade and clicking on account information.

The situation where someone else won the lot for the same $280 you set as your max could be explained by the winner placing their $280 bid before yours.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    Another guess would be that you didn't finalize your maximum bid maybe ?

I know that you have to go thru a couple steps to get it completed.

• Options
    pharmerpharmer Posts: 8,355
    Do you use the track and bid function? It takes a few seconds to reload, and you will want to refresh when you get back to it from confirming your bid, but your bid will be in green and it will say if you are high bidder, black with a higher number if not, and you will have to bid again, and do it all again with track and bid. Definitely not as user friendly as Heritage.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• Options
    That's just it. When I checked the auction around 7:30 pm I was the current highest bidder at $260 and since my high bid was $280 I thought I had precedence over any other $280 bid. It does flash green next to the lot so you know it is your current bid that's winning so I know I was winning it at that time. Just going to take a while to figure out I guess.
    Holes-in-One

Collector of Barber Halves, Commems, MS64FBL Frankies, Full Step Jeffersons & Mint state Washington Quarters
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    Let us know what you find out.
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I understand your question since I THINK the Teletrade bidding system is SUPPOSED to allow only one bidder at any specific level. In other words, when you bid $280, you should have either "owned" that bid, or should have been told that someone else had that bid.

It happened to me a few years ago too, (losing a coin at the bid increment I thought was mine), but I didn't pursue it at the time.

It may have something to do with a disconnect between one person placing a max bid prior to the auction starting, and someone else bidding live? If my understanding of the rules is correct, they should certainly be able to design their system to handle it.
    Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    Don't know if it matters or not but my bid was placed two or three days prior to the start of the auction.

If I find anything out from Teletrade I'll certainly post it. Thanks for the help, Jerry
    Holes-in-One

• Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    image I don't understand TT's system either. I've always won at my Max Bid. I don't max bid on TT anymore because of this. If I see something I'm interested in I'll place a bid, not my max, and track it. Lee
  • Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570
    If the sellers has a buy-back bid (like a reserve) and the bidding doesn't reach that amount the coin does not sell.

After the auction closes you can look at the "Prices Realized" for that auction - if the coin isn't listed it means it did not sell (i.e. it did not meet the sellers minimum bid).

It is annoying and hokey(sp?), but that is how they do it.
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    stev32kstev32k Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭
    Teletrade is really annoying to me. I've bid on about 10 coins and never won any of them. None of them showed up as sold so I guess the bid did not reach the reserve. I wish there was some way you could tell what has a reserve and what doesn't. I also wish they would tell you the status of your bid when the auction is over. It would be nice to know how high the bidding went when the reserve was not met. That would give you some idea of what to bid next time. In my case every coin I bid on just disappeared after the auction was over - like it was never there.
    Who is General Failure, and why is he reading my hard drive?
  • Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've had only good experiences with Teletrade, actually. Yes, some coins have 'disappeared' when the reserve wasn't met, which is annoying. However, I've bought a number at less than my max, often by several increments. Everything I've received from them has been decent or better than that, and a few fantastic coins have come at very ordinary prices (thank their dead-looking pictures for that). I bought an absolutely jawdropping toned MS64 Morgan from them a couple weeks ago at basically no premium at all. I don't buy all that much from them, but I've been happy with I've bought.

Still, your situation is strange -- I've had it tell me before that somebody else "owned" a bid level, so I wonder what happened to your bid.
    mirabela

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file