Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Question for TDN

I've looked at TDN's fabulous collection of Trade Dollars a number of times on the internet site, and it got me to thinking. You have pretty much nailed a magnificant collection of a particular series. Hence my question. ARe there additions/upgrades to your collection that you don't know about?, or at that level, you pretty much know what's out there? Could a trade dollar pop (no pun intended) up out of nowhere that would be an upgrade or addition to your collection? Pop reports will tell you one thing, but is it possible that there are greater coins yet to be had that have been sitting in a sock in someone's attic?

I guess anything is possible, moreso, is it likely?

editted to add:

Like wise, to anyone who has a premiere collection of any series.
"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather did, as opposed to screaming in terror like his passengers."

Comments

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are always coins out there just waiting to pop up. A few years back, the magnificent gem 1873-CC appeared in Stacks' Vermeule sale. It had been off the market for about 100 years. There's also a superb gem 1877-S [currently raw] in a very well known numismatic figure's personal collection. I'm certain these aren't the only coins hidden to the current market.

However, I'm pretty aware of what else is out there. The NGC MS67 1873-S is ex Eliasberg, where it was graded MS64. I've held it side by side with my gem and thought them equivalent. The PCGS MS65 1877 was offered to me, but at too high a price since it wasn't the finest known example for the date [there's an NGC MS66 out there that's supposed to be really nice]. And the Knoxville MS68 1878-S just wasn't that nice of a coin at all for that lofty grade.
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting question you have asked TDN. With Mercury Dimes it would be impossible to look at all of the examples and decide exactly which was best for each date. Heck a 16P has almost 2300 or maybe even a few more slabbed by just PCGS.

With this in mind I went to the PCGS Pop Report just to see how many Trade Dollars have been slabbed as MS63 or higher. Blow my mind or what ! Only 1758 examples show in the report and another 2105 as proof. This would give a collector a great chance to say he/she does have the finest set because with time spent all could be tracked or seen and a decision made as to which is the best per date in his/her mind.

By the way I do know where the best 1920S Merc Dime resides in my mind. Outside of that one coin there is no clue on the rest of the dates.

Ken
  • Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are known as one of the top holders/buyers of a certain series, do the coins find you? Does every dealer who thinks they have some exceptional piece chase you across the burse floor??

.....as opposed to running from me, that is. image
    Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh, yes ... usually at a premium! image

Ken: even more telling is the fact that there are only 158 MS65 or better for the entire series at PCGS. And 100 of those 158 are the four most common dates! image
  • Options
    Likewise, a fellow like Boiler, who has assembled a stunning collection of patterns. Have you seen everything you want? DO you know of their existance? Is there something out there for you that's just going to appear out of nowhere one day?
    "I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather did, as opposed to screaming in terror like his passengers."

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file