Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Need opinions on ANACS circ. Walker grading

DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
I'm going to be shopping for early semi-key dates mostly in the Fine to XF range, with a long range plan of eventually getting them into PCGS holders. How similar are standards at the two services? What should I watch out for? Any input would be appreciated.
When in doubt, don't.

Comments

• Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi Dennis, I have always seen that coins grading in that circulated range all holder about the same in the top 3 services, PCGS, NGC and ANACS. When you get into the high end UNC grading, that is when I have seen ANACS and PCGS grade about 1 point tougher than NGC- IMHO
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks JRocco!

I find ANACS to be significantly more lenient on circ. Morgans than PCGS, so now that I'm expanding into Walkers I want to do what I can to make the learning curve as painle$$ as possible.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    I tried to cross a VG8 21-D WLH from ANACS to PCGS and it was DNC'd.

I've read others as well. My observation is that ANACS is pretty good on MS/PR grades but leinient on circulated grades - the exact opposite of ICG.

BTW I recusitated this thread because I'm doing a search of ANACS topics. image
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,631 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have not dealt with any since they tightened up, but a lot of the mid grade walkers I am use to seeing in ANACS holders, were a we bit liberal on many occasions. Early 17-d/s 19's, and 21's in Vf and XF. Also, they seem to accept a little more light cleaning on occasions than PCGS.

However, I have seen some PCGS graded walkers that were a we bit liberal as well???

I guess it really go's back to the ole saying. Youll have to judge each coin on its own merits?

If you are a little unfamiliar with grading of WLH, especially the earlier dates, it might pay to spend a little time learning the series and seeking advice from fellow WLH folks, as thier are some big price jumps in F/VF/XF, and one mistake can be costly?

Jim d

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,894 ✭✭✭✭✭
    look for original coins... note the difference in the strike of the earlier dates. The 1919-D is tougher to get than collectors think true VF and higher. 1917-s OBVERSE and 1917-D REVERSE are also tougher than most think. Good luck

edited to add... if you choose to look for originals, please leave them that way. There are more enhanced and dipped examples out there to choose from. Dipping/enhancing won't help the grade.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file