Home U.S. Coin Forum

What to do with these?

About 30 years ago I received some silver dollars from my grandfather. Recently I uncovered the box again, and I'd like to sell them, but I don't really know if they are of any actual interest to anyone beyond their silver content. I have one 1897, two 1900, two 1921 Morgan dollars, six 1922, one 1923, and one 1927. Oh, and a couple of 1964 Kennedy half dollars. From what I've read of coin grading, one of the 1921 Morgans is something like Fair to Good, and the rest are Fine to Very Fine. I think.

I've created a small web page here with some photos. Here are a couple of the coins that looked nicer to me:

Advice? I live in the Boston area.

- Gus

Comments

• LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    It's hard to tell from the pictures, but they look pretty nice. Did you post to the buy/sell/trade forum? Ebay is a good place to sell as well. Also, if you turn on your PM, people can send you private messages who may be interested.
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • xbobxbob Posts: 1,979
    Welcome!!
    I like that 1900! The best idea I can think of is simple - give them to me! image

There's always eBay...
    -Bob
    collections: Maryland related coins & exonumia, 7070 Type set, and Video Arcade Tokens.
    The Low Budget Y2K Registry Set
  • Done, I hadn't realized I'd left PM / email off.

I glanced over eBay, but I was intimidated by the fact that everything seems to slabbed and uncirculated condition or better. Except for a couple of bulk auctions for Morgans and Liberties (1500+ coins each!) which made me wonder if circulated coins were of any interest to collectors at all.

I'm no judge of coin quality - how should I describe them if I were to offer them for sale here or on eBay?

- Gus
  • DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭

If I were going to sell those on eBay I would call them circulated (toned circulated for the 1900) and let the buyer decide what grade they are. Your pics are very good, let them grade them. I've sold hundreds of circulated Morgans on eBay, that's the perfect place to sell them. image
    Becky
  • Very, Very sweet coins. Obviously original and I doubt you'll have a problem getting rid of them. I'd try the BST forum here and then Ebay with any leftovers. Good Luck!image

jim
  • MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    I really like the toning on that 1900!! Good luck!
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !

• << <i>It's hard to tell from the pictures, but they look pretty nice. >>

How could I improve those pictures to clarify the quality? I assume you're talking about the 520x1040 large versions (like the ones in my message) rather than the 130 x 260 thumbnails on the index page. I don't mind taking more photos to make clearer to a buyer what he'd be getting.

- Gus
  • ms70ms70 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1900 should bring a premium just on the eye appeal. That's a nice coin. Maybe XF45/AU50 I would guess.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• << <i>The 1900 should bring a premium just on the eye appeal. That's a nice coin. Maybe XF45/AU50 I would guess. >>

Thanks, that's nice to know. I have another 1900 toned coin with a similar amount of wear, but which didn't look as nice to me because of the scuff mark on the cheek:

- Gus
  • OK, I've edited my earlier posts so they point to the newer pictures. The old photos are still in that web space, though.

- Gus
  • ArtistArtist Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭
    That 1900 could be UNC - look at the Eagle's breast, and then bear in mind that on the obverse a lot of them were flat above the ear that year. Impossible to tell without rotating the coin in the light...

If it is UNC, that lovely toning could command a premium indeed.
  • hopefully you will keep your a couple - or your favorite to pass on through your family for sentimental reasons - tho some folks aren't as sentimental as myself.

Did I say welcome to forum - nice pics BTW.

Pam

• << <i>That 1900 could be UNC - look at the Eagle's breast, and then bear in mind that on the obverse a lot of them were flat above the ear that year. Impossible to tell without rotating the coin in the light...

If it is UNC, that lovely toning could command a premium indeed. >>

I found an article that describes the incomplete die-filling you mention, but how can I tell the difference between that and ordinary wear? The eagle breast does have faint texturing, but I could be mistaken, since I don't really know what I should be looking for. The obverse is definitely flat above the ear, but I just assumed that was wear since the other high points of the hair are slightly flat and shiny.

- Gus

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file