Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Price help on a 55 Doubled die in Pcgs 58

I am looking at the coin at a local coin shop and wanted to get a feel for a good price. Its has nice eye appeal with some red on it. Is this grade listed on the blue sheet?

Comments

• Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    lets assume it is a nice brown coin that is on the verge of rb and sits in a pcgs holder that is evenly colored and with no fingerprints spots or stains and it looks like an ms62 coin with just a trace of friction and again it sits in a pcgs au 58 holder and it is nicely lusterous with above average eye appeal a fair retail price would be approx $1500
  • Options
    stephunterstephunter Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the feedback. The asking price is $1700-. I have seen a few anacs exaples in 62 holders for about the same price, but they did not have as good eye appeal this one has.
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    stephunter:

I happen to own an AU-58 PCGS 55 DDO that I paid $680 for it about 5 years ago. It is all brown but otherwise is very pleasing to look at as well.

If this has the right look, paying an extra $200 is no longer outrageous!

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    then this is a fair price for this coin 1700 in the context that it is a strong craZY market with huge demand for this 55 doubled die and p[rices have gone up tremendously i myself would not pay this price or buy this coin

but

if you really want it for possibly a little less you might ask the seller what his bottom cash price is

and cash means green stuff with presidents on it
  • Options
    the ones in anx62 holders are more than likely recolored and/or super sliders

but to be 100% sure i would need to see them sight seen but more than likely if i was a betting man i would not lose me bet as per the above
  • Options
    Thanks for the feedback everyone. I am going to go and see if I can spend some money.
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just bought an NGC 58 that should be a 62 for $1250 from my dealer. You shouldnt have to pay much more that. There are many around, be patient.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    Coin in hand now.

• Options
    Were you able to talk him down on price any? Gorgeous coin!
    I heard they were making a French version of Medal of Honor. I wonder how many hotkeys it'll have for "surrender."
  • Options
    Bought it for 1550-
  • Options
    clw54clw54 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭
    My all time favorite coin.
  • Options
    merz2merz2 Posts: 2,474
    You won't regret it.That is a nice coin IMHO
    Don
    Registry 1909-1958 Proof Lincolns
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,485 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Bought it for 1550- >>

Very Nice!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with merz2
    Also with this >>> happen to own an AU-58 PCGS 55 DDO that I paid $680 for it about 5 years ago. It is all brown but otherwise is very pleasing to look at as well.

If this has the right look, paying an extra $200 is no longer outrageous!
    Al

• Options
    clw54clw54 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭
    55 DDOs seem like a bargain considering their scarcity. 20,000 are estimated to be minted. Think about what a Lincoln with a 20,000 mintage would go for.
  • Options
    That's a nice '55 double die. I love to see those things. image
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    55 is such a good yearimage

Congratulations!

Tom
  • Options
    One day. image
  • Options
    MrLeeMrLee Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Bought it for 1550- >>

You did good. That's a nice one.

Congrats
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad you got it and I don't think you'll regret your decision. Yes, 1955 is a great year.
    It took me quite some time to be able to find the example that I own with the right "look" that I wanted.
    Congratulations!
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    I can see the reddish color towards the rim and to the left of Lincoln.

This coins looks too light in brown color compared to the feel I have for this coin. I get the impression the coin is slightly more of a pleasing medium chocolate color with the reddish hues along the rims.

Am I right? Pictures of copper coins can look too light in color compared to their in person appearance because you need an awfully large amount of light to get a good snapshot of the coin.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since there is almost no difference from AU58's to MS63's on these, it behooves a buyer to find the ones that are labeled as AU's that can upgrade.

I find the 55/55 a very puzzling coin. 2 years ago MS62's for example were around $1150-1200 wholesale. I had a decent 62B and it took almost a year to get $1175 for it. I'm not exactly sure why they are now worth another $500-750 more. It certainly cannot be because "collector" demand all of a sudden increased.
    2 years ago Lincolns were in a frenzied state too and key dates were exceptionally strong too. Smacks more of promotion and the passing of key dates around the horn from one dealer to the next and along the way a collector is enticed.....especially when they see prices going up so fast. Better get in before the go up more! If one really wanted one of these wouldn't it have made more sense to buy when the "demand' (real or created) was much less 2-5 years ago?

I concur with what Michael said on this one a few months back. But congratulations on your purchase, this is the neatest and most well known error coin in the US numismatics...imo.........then again the PMM Mass. state quarter is stellar in its own right.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options

<< <i>I can see the reddish color towards the rim and to the left of Lincoln.

This coins looks too light in brown color compared to the feel I have for this coin. I get the impression the coin is slightly more of a pleasing medium chocolate color with the reddish hues along the rims.

Am I right? Pictures of copper coins can look too light in color compared to their in person appearance because you need an awfully large amount of light to get a good snapshot of the coin. >>

You description of the coin is accurate.
  • Options

<< <i>Since there is almost no difference from AU58's to MS63's on these, it behooves a buyer to find the ones that are labeled as AU's that can upgrade.

I find the 55/55 a very puzzling coin. 2 years ago MS62's for example were around $1150-1200 wholesale. I had a decent 62B and it took almost a year to get $1175 for it. I'm not exactly sure why they are now worth another $500-750 more. It certainly cannot be because "collector" demand all of a sudden increased.
    2 years ago Lincolns were in a frenzied state too and key dates were exceptionally strong too. Smacks more of promotion and the passing of key dates around the horn from one dealer to the next and along the way a collector is enticed.....especially when they see prices going up so fast. Better get in before the go up more! If one really wanted one of these wouldn't it have made more sense to buy when the "demand' (real or created) was much less 2-5 years ago?

I concur with what Michael said on this one a few months back. But congratulations on your purchase, this is the neatest and most well known error coin in the US numismatics...imo.........then again the PMM Mass. state quarter is stellar in its own right.

roadrunner >>

I did not even consider past price variances. I just knew that I had the money and that I have wanted the coin for a long time. It may or may not be the best time to buy it, but if I hold it for 20+ years I think the up and down markets of coins will play out and I will continue to enjoy it.
  • Options
    morganbarbermorganbarber Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭
    Nice coin indeed! congrats on a big score.
    I collect circulated U.S. silver
  • Options
    roadrunner: This appears to be a top quality AU-58 brown 55DDO and there is indeed a price compression between the 58 to 62 Brown 55DDO's. Many of the mint state 61 and 62 55DDO's do not look any better than the AU-58's. In fact, many of them look crummy compared to their AU-58 brothers.

I cannot state publicly why there is price compression between AU-58 and MS-62BN here. But it exists.
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the coin, looks better than most I see in that grade range.

• Options
    While there may be a grading compression in the 58-62 range here, it doesn't appear to be the case to me that a pricing compression occurs. Every single pt. brings a fairly good chunk of extra cash. Maybe an extra $100-200. A lot of the AU58's in holders and full field luster, just like the 62's. In viewing this particular specimen I cannot see full luster in the fields (it may be the fuzziness of the photo) ...... though the highpts such as the cheek look nicely rounded (lack of wear).

roadrunner
  • Options
    My good friend, roadrunner: $1300 or more in AU-58 to $2000 tops for an MS-62BN does indeed qualify for price compression.

I happen to agree with you that there is grading compression.
  • Options
    My dearest friend Oreville, I still have to disagree with you on a 50% premium from 58 to 62 being a compression. Most actively traded coins show a similar pricing range....barbers for example from AU to MS62. I don't consider those truly compressed. But the real bottom line is that the AU58 and MS62B 55/55's almost look identical.
    Actually I would bet even the best of graders cannot tell the two apart and agree with what the TPG's will do > 50% of the time.
    And resubmissions would show you that a 62 can come back a 58 next time and vice versa. Little consistency imo. Barber halves in MS62 usually won't come back an AU the next time around.

Maybe we should define compression? image

roadrunner
  • Options
    My dearest, dearest friend roadrunner, I am not sure we want to get into the specifics of the definition of compression while I am observing Passover with the dreaded mazoh.
    (unleavened bread). image

But a 50% price premium for three grades on a key date sounds like compression to me. From MS-62 to MS-65 we do not see the same 50% price premium. It is far greater than 50%.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file