Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Grade the 19D Merc Dime. New Today and a Tough Date to find with a Nice Strike.

FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,414 ✭✭✭✭✭
This coin and a 19S were purchased from a forum member. They arrived in the mail today. Both the 19D and 19S are real tough Mercs to obtain with nice strikes. Take a stab at the grade if you would like. Two different pictures are shown to let you see the strike. The coin also has a die break extending almost from top to bottom through Miss Liberty's head.

Ken

Comments

• Options
    greghansengreghansen Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭
    Quite clearly, obviously, surely and undeniably a MS64FB.

Greg Hansen, Melbourne, FL Click here for any current EBAY auctions Multiple "Circle of Trust" transactions over 14 years on forum

• Options
    21Walker21Walker Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭
    Agree......Nice Merc's..............Rick
    If don't look like UNC, it probrably isn't UNC.....U.S. Coast Guard. Chief Petty Officer (Retired) (1970-1990)

EBAY Items
    http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZrlamir
  • Options
    dunerlawdunerlaw Posts: 387 ✭✭
    Super nice coins.
    Both look like 64 and the 1919-d looks FB.
  • Options
    The first post was two shots of the 19D. Here is the 19S.

Ken
  • Options
    K6AZK6AZ Posts: 9,295
    Ken, those are some nice Mercs. I saw the post on the BST board, so I won't cheat.
  • Options
    NumismanicNumismanic Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Eric one is under graded by atleast 1 point and possibly 2 on a good day. The 19D is just plain Killer strike wise. Thats all I will say for right now. I almost feel like sending more money to the seller but heck he got a very nice coin from me in this trade-a-roo. We both did well IMO.

Ken

• Options
    K6AZK6AZ Posts: 9,295
    I've been kind of busy with other coin stuff, but that was a nice looking group he put up. You don't come across nice early Mercs like that often.
  • Options
    XpipedreamRXpipedreamR Posts: 8,059 ✭✭
    I'll guess 64, no FB.
  • Options
    You should see the 42S I purchased raw out of that bunch. It makes these others look like dogs. That was his opinion also. One day PCGS will see it. Not for awhile though after the results on the submission these coins were in. Hmmm...is this a give away for the grade of the 19D.

Ken
  • Options
    mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭
    Ken,

Great pics image

They are just BRUTAL (lately) when it comes to grading the key dates -- 18-D/S, 19-D/S...you know, the ususal suspects.

After a pretty good stab at getting a bunch of nice Mercs in to PCGS holders, having a good number serve as statistical pool from which to draw data, I would encourage everyone to hold off on submitting coins (at least Mercs) for grading.

Something is going on at PCGS -- and it's probably prudent to wait 'till things settle down.

I just got the grade in on this 18-D -- PCGS MS62FB. I didn't think it was a 65FB, but either a STELLAR 63FB or a good 64FB. I'll send it back in again in a little while (after things settle down) and let you know how it fares on a re-grade.

So based on how yours graded, Ken, imagine how nice the below are:

21906506 1925-S 10C USA MS64FB
    21906507 1926-P 10C USA MS64FB
    21906508 1928-P 10C USA MS65FB

Each one of these should be at least 1 point higher. If they don't find homes in the next couple of weeks they're going back in for re-grading (when things settle down a bit at PCGS).

And yes, Ken, do hold off on the 42-S -- they're barbarians over there now. If they don't put that coin in to a 67 holder I'd cry, as it would trully be a crime. Like you said, the 42-S not only makes the posted dimes look like dogs, it makes most dimes I've seen look like dogs.

Regards,

Mike.
  • Options
    Both of the coins, 19D and 19S, shown in the previous posts are MS63 coins. The 19S is but the 19D got caught on a late Friday afternoon rush. Here is my old 19D. Which would you rather have ?

Ken
  • Options
    greghansengreghansen Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭
    The new 19D if much nicer IMO since it has a much better strike on both the obv. and rev. I don't mind the toning, so I would far prefer the new over the old.

Edited to add, its kind of fun having such firm and certain opinions about a series I know nothing about.

Greg Hansen, Melbourne, FL Click here for any current EBAY auctions Multiple "Circle of Trust" transactions over 14 years on forum

• Options
    mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭
    Here's the 25-S -- I have more than 6 MS66FB's that aren't as clean...there's basically nothing wrong with this coin. The surfaces are nice, the bands aren't beat up (sorry for the poor pic...the bands are nice and full). This coin graded 64FB...I was going to shoot some nicely toned 65FB's and 66FB's but I'm strapped for time.

I think the grader that got this batch simply didn't like original/nicely colored coins image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file