Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Happy with my find at the library book sale today (Judd book) and a little mystery too

CoinHuskerCoinHusker Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭
I picked up a Judd "United States Pattern, Experimental & Trial Pieces" 3rd Edition in like new condition for $1.50. image I was pretty happy about finding it and didn't even open it or look through it. Just paid quick and left. But then when I got home and looked inside the book...

...Does anyone know what kind of M.D. Judd was? When he died?

The reason I ask is that I know that he was from Omaha too. And inside of the book I got today is a hand written list of coins and prices on a "Omaha Children's Memorial Hospital Patient History Sheet" piece of paper along with another list hand written on a "Laboratory Notes" piece of paper.

I can't help but wonder if they could be Judd's notes? A book from his estate ending up at the Library's book sale? I know it's a long, long, long shot but it does add a little mystery to a nice find at a library book sale.image

edit to fix some spellingimage
Collecting coins, medals and currency featuring "The Sower"

Comments

• Options
    pharmerpharmer Posts: 8,355
    Way to go. Seems likely. What sort of things are written down?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• Options
    PreTurbPreTurb Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭
    I heard somewhere that Judd was just a made-up name... Breen was the real author. ???
  • Options
    Well, on the back of the big "children's hospital" sheet of paper is this list:

(The hand writting is hard to read so if my translation doesn't make sense please excuse my attempt)

1895S .25 Unc
    1916 .25 Unc
    1918/7 .25 XF
    1918/7 .25 BU
    1924D .25 AU

1893 $1 Proof
    1894 $1 Proof

1652 Pine Tree shilling EF
    1723 Dora Americanna (Not sure if I read that right, guess)
    1723 1/2 P
    1787 Conn. cent
    1788 (? can't read the writing) cent
    1787 N.J. cent
    1788 N.J. cent

1795 N.Y. cent
    Elephant 45

1793 Va 1/2 penny
    1777 Va 1/2 penny
    1792 Kent cent
    1787 fugio cent

1796 washington penny

1786 NJ Aut FEP
    1788 Mass cent FEP

There's more on the front of this sheet (some world coin sets, from the 60's and 70's, a list of 60's & 70's US proof sets, and coins from the 1800's cents to dollars). On the other sheet I mentioned "labortory notes" there's this:

$20 257-6 275
    .5 473-6 210
    .5 570-5 100
    $3 597-8 250
    .10 696-5 65-
    .10 708 -5 65-
    .10 782-7 125-
    .25 888-6 65-
    .25 894-6 65-
    $5 1568 -7 225-
    .5 1712- 200-
    _______
    1545-
    S.F ?
    _______

but i am afraid I am messing up what is really listed because the hand writing is pretty hard to decipher. (another hint that a doctor wrote it?)image

edit to fix some of the #'s after re-reading my post image
  • Options
    pharmerpharmer Posts: 8,355
    Wow, impressive list. You have really come across something neat. I think this is going to be a neat nystery story. You might consider faxing a copy to one of the pharmacist's here, seriously.

Bill
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• Options
    Thanks for the idea. image I'd ask my father-in-law, who is a M.D. too, but I don't think he can even read his own hand writing. image The pharmacist idea is a great one. Thanks!
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Judd was an ophthalmologist. He was a serious pattern collector, but it is true that Breen was the primary author of the book.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    Thanks! Does anyone know when he died?
  • Options
    RGLRGL Posts: 3,784
    Dr. J. Hewitt Judd (1899-1986), an ophthalmologist from Omaha, was one of America's foremost students and collectors of pattern and experimental coins. A college professor and teacher by nature, Judd authored his United States Pattern, Trial, and Experimental Pieces in 1959 and saw the publication of 7 editions in his lifetime, the last produced in 1982 with the assistance of Walter Breen. He served on the ANA Board from 1945 to 1951, with terms as Vice President and President to follow. Indeed, it was Judd who was President when Dave Bowers, the editor of the new 8th edition, attended his first ANA convention in Judd's hometown of Omaha in 1955! Judd won the Farran Zerbe Award that year (an award Bowers later won) and his pattern collection won the Howland Wood Best-in-Show award from the ANA in 1952. Abe Kosoff bought the Judd Collection and began offering specimens from it in 1967, including the unique 1794 dollar pattern in copper with no obverse stars.
  • Options
    Thanks RGL! image
  • Options
    RGLRGL Posts: 3,784
    Potentially very neat find ... there has to be one person, if not more out there, who has notes/papers/letters from Judd that could verify, or not, the handwriting on your papers. I suggest contacting the ANA to see what it has in its archives ...
  • Options
    Thanks again, I'll check into that too. image
  • Options
    Well, I've sent a few emails out to a few different places. I'll let you know what happens image
  • Options

<< <i>Potentially very neat find ... there has to be one person, if not more out there, who has notes/papers/letters from Judd that could verify, or not, the handwriting on your papers. >>

Hey, I just thought that I should take copies to the next Omaha Coin Club meeting and see if any of the long time members might have known Judd or have any correspondence from him.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buck and a half, huh?

Man, I was proud of payin' five bucks for my old Judd book from the 1960's.

The little crib sheet of notes sounds interesting.

Nice icon, BTW, CoinHusker. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options

<< <i>
    Nice icon, BTW, CoinHusker. image >>

Thanks, a kind soul did a BIG favor for me and I haven't forgotten it! imageimage
  • Options
    The "laboratory notes" are Judd numbers and denominations. My money says you've got Judd's personal copy of his book.
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    What a great find, congratulations!

Tomimage
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,353 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>My money says you've got Judd's personal copy of his book. >>

Now that would really be something. And for a buck and a half, too.

We just had a library sale here recently. And my Dad is the Assistant Director of the library. Hmm.

(Actually, our library is a little sparse on numismatic references- what is there is pretty old- but they do have a Sheldon Penny Whimsy I've checked out a time or two.)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options

<< <i>The "laboratory notes" are Judd numbers and denominations. My money says you've got Judd's personal copy of his book. >>

<< <i>What a great find, congratulations!

Tomimage >>

Thanks! Time will tell, but you guys are making me giddy!

I wish there was an easy way to authenticate it. Like a nice label in the cover saying, "From the library of J. Hewitt Judd" with a nice big signature next to it. image
  • Options
    I wish there was an easy way to authenticate it.

CoinHusker - Ask the readers of the e-Sylum if anyone has a sample of Judd's writing. To get the request posted, contact Wayne Homren. I'll send PM you his e-mail address. Their e-newsletter goes out every Sunday night, so if you send the request now you may have a sample within 48 hours or so!
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    image Thanks for the help. I tried navigating their site yesterday but had difficulty. (Webtv user image ) The e-mail address will really help! image
  • Options
    That's a very cool find! Hope it works out that your hunch is correct!

Ken
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The "laboratory notes" are Judd numbers and denominations. My money says you've got Judd's personal copy of his book. >>

<< <i>What a great find, congratulations!

Tomimage >>

Thanks! Time will tell, but you guys are making me giddy!

Your welcome and man oh man, you should feel giddy! I would!

Rgrds
    Tomimage
  • Options
    CoinHusker - I see you made it into tonight's e-Sylum. Good luck!

Everyone else - If you don't subscribe to the e-Sylum, you should. It's often fascinating and it's free. Subscribe here.

LINK FIXED
    Andy Lustig

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file