Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Varieties only .... who will post the last one??

LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
Varieties teach us alot about the mint and the processes in place at the time. I can't imagine collecting a regular series w/o the varieties. Post your favorites and tell us what they teach about the minting process.

This MPD (with a 1 sticking out of the pearls) is alleged to be related to testing the hardness of a die before the date was impressed. The date punch would be tested on the die to test hardness and, if it felt right, the date would then be punched into the correct location. I don't know if that's the real reason but it's the most plausible I've heard to date. image

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.

Comments

• Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    This is my coolest variety. found by accident. The repunching of the of the date was fairly common back then when they were punched by hand. i guess it just wasn't done right the first time. This one is interesting because it's fairly strong on the 1 and minimal on the first 8 and isn't listed in Rick Snow's book. It's on its way to AZ right now so he can look at it.

coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    ccexccex Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭
    My most recent variety find was exciting, given all the hoopla over the "extra leaf" Wisconsin quarters. Here's a die chip under the corn kernels on a dark 1898-S dime.image

I also like all the "micro-O" Barber dime and half varieties, made when the small New Orleans mintmark punch intended for quarters was applied to different denominations. We saw the discovery piece of the 1898-O Micro-O half dollar here a few months ago. Here is the first 1905-O Micro O dime I ever owned (I now have another one in VF, and today a friend emailed me a picture of his in AU)
    "Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity" - Hanlon's Razor
  • Options
    Ya gotta be kidding me - that's the extent of interest in varietes in this forum?? image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    SmittysSmittys Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good ole 1960 Doubled Die Dime, made by a shift in the die and master hub in the hubbing process.

• Options
    Mine are not imaged, didn't think a thread like this would ever come up here.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ya gotta be kidding me - that's the extent of interest in varietes in this forum??

Apparently, it is. Maybe you should have titled your thread "got pcgs modern grades" image

I posted a whole thread about die varieties of 1805 quarters and got a whopping 4 replies.

Anyway, here's the pics again, note the hand-punched and differing position of the "5" in the date, the legend "25 C.", as well as the stars in relation to the word "LIBERTY"

so I'll ttt your thread for you, Lakes, but will probably cause it to sink like a stone. Sorry! image

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    saintgurusaintguru Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭
    1909/8....they retooled the old 1908 dies...and about 60% of the mintage was made with these until they made new 1909 dies...the only variety in Saint series...

• Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In rare date gold, while the varieties have been well-documented for the major series, other than the Redbook varieites, I do not know anyone (other than Harry Bass) who collects (or collected) them.

• Options
    Wow- killer 1909/8 - yours??
  • Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a former English major here is one of my favorites--a punctuated date.

Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Options

<< <i>Wow- killer 1909/8 - yours?? >>

YES....trying to get it in it's PROPER holder.
  • Options
    RELLARELLA Posts: 961 ✭✭✭
    SG,

There are several Doubled Dies in the Saint series.

RELLA
    Do not fall into the error of the artisan
    who boasts of twenty years experience in his craft
    while in fact he has had only one year of experience...
    twenty times.
  • Options
    elwoodelwood Posts: 2,414
    The 1818 B-9 has a rarity of R-6, one of my favorites because of the clash marks from the arrows on the obv. A variety that is virtually impossible to find.
    Please visit my website prehistoricamerica.com www.visitiowa.org/pinecreekcabins
  • Options
    RELLARELLA Posts: 961 ✭✭✭
    1971-S Proof Doubled Die Obverse #2 FS-033 Class II + V
    Do not fall into the error of the artisan
    who boasts of twenty years experience in his craft
    while in fact he has had only one year of experience...
    twenty times.
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,409 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe this qualifies and maybe not.

In 1917 the Mint made a change to the Mercury Dime so that better detail would show in the wing area. This was done in mid year so you can have a Type of 1916 and Type of 1917 Mercury for the date of 1917. Shown on the left is a Type of 1916 and on the right a Type of 1917. In 1918 the mint changed the detail once again but it was done before production began so all there is for 1918 is just the type shown in the second picture. From 1918 thru the end of the series the wing detail was the same.

Ken
  • Options
    RELLA...I had a 1911-D/D, but it is not a variety, nor a rarity...PCGS does not recognize it, and I'd bet that 30% of the mintage had it...It carries no premium whatsoever.
  • Options
    Here's a nice Morgan VAM 203. It's about all I can contribute to this thread... Oh, it's a polished down leaf (short leaf) in the headdress:

imageimage
  • Options
    One of my favorites is the in your face, don't need any stinking magnification to see this doubling found on the 1888-O Hot Lips Morgan dollar (picture on the right)
    Jeff

Semper ubi sub ubi
  • Options
    Here's my favorite in the IHC series. Hub rotated during the making of the die. This is the S1. There is a S2 as well with the doubling a bit less obvious. The doubling on the feathers, LIBERTY and the face is striking.

• Options
    This is the FAMOUT flattened die "FATTY" Saint....ONE KNOWN!

• Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    And you said there weren't any Saint varieties.image

I still say she looks like John Goodman in drag.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    he wasn't alive in 1908!
  • Options
    WindycityWindycity Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's a nice one. 1937 25 c DDO MS 66

<a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.mullencoins.com">Mullen Coins Website - Windycity Coin website
  • Options
    WOW - How did THAT Saint get created. Is there a story behind it??

One of my all time favorites in the FE series is the clash reverse 1857 S8. Don't know why I sold it.....image

• Options
    I think it was an expanded die...either that or too many Hardee's Mega-burgers!!image
  • Options
    There is also another variety...how this occurred I do not know...it's in the Smithsonian...The "BobbleHead" Saint...

• Options
    keojkeoj Posts: 980 ✭✭✭
    Here's one my favorites.....instead of a rotated die, this 78-S DDR Trade Dollar was made with TWO different dies (I'll be happy to share the article if you wish that discusses it).

Any one of my all time favorites.....the 76-CC DDR Trade Dollar, is there any other coin doubling that matches the significance of this one?

keoj
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    I noticed in the B&M auction catalog (for Baltimore) there's a 70-S Lincoln DDO that they claim is so rare there are only 4 holdered by PCGS. The pix are small, but it doesn't look even as dramatic as the 1995 Lincoln DDO.

I have a 1960 LD/SD Lincoln proof but no pix. image

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    DismeguyDismeguy Posts: 496 ✭✭✭
    Here is one of my favorite seated dime varieties, actual a really late die state. Check out the massive cracks

imageimage

Dismeguy

www.seateddimevarieties.com
    Gerry Fortin's Rare American Coins Online Storefront and Liberty Seated Dime Varieties Web- Book www.SeatedDimeVarieties.com Buying and Selling all Seated Denominations....
  • Options
    coppercoinscoppercoins Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭
    We've got some people showing die varieties and others showing varieties. Two different things. All are interesting in my opinion.

As for whether they carry premium value - as far as I am concerned, PCGS can pound sand - they don't drive the die variety market, so saying a 1911D/D has no premium value just because PCGS doesn't put a number on a slab is a mis-statement. Let me know which RPM it is and I'll make a nice offer. I could use another 1911D/D. And, by the way, there was no single die in 1911 that minted 30% of all production. There were dozens of dies used and none of them produced more than a couple percent of the overall numbers.
    C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
    The Lincoln cent store:
    http://www.lincolncent.com

My numismatic art work:
    http://www.cdaughtrey.com
    USAF veteran, 1986-1996 :: support our troops - the American way.
  • Options
    seanqseanq Posts: 8,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They're talking Saints, not cents, C.D. Damn regional dialects... image

Here's one for the Indian cent guys... an 1894 repunched date, Snow-1. I guess the die sinker didn't like the initial position ofthe date, so he moved it down a bit. If any effort was made to remove the original date punch you can't see it on this coin:

Unfortunately, that wasn't the only encounter this particular coin had with number punching...

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even modern crap has varieties in the Lincoln series.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    spy88spy88 Posts: 764 ✭✭
    Here's my personal favorite (one and only, actually) from my Jefferson set.

imageimage
    Everything starts and everything stops at precisely the right time for precisely the right reason.
  • Options
    coppercoinscoppercoins Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭
    Sorry, I wasn't thinking about 1911D anything but cents. I guess I should starrt considering the mental ward! image
    C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
    The Lincoln cent store:
    http://www.lincolncent.com

My numismatic art work:
    http://www.cdaughtrey.com
    USAF veteran, 1986-1996 :: support our troops - the American way.
  • Options
    1854 Half-dime V-1 Date on Base

• Options
    image YOU SIR, ARE THE MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMFG! image

<< <i>Here is one of my favorite seated dime varieties, actual a really late die state. Check out the massive cracks

imageimage

Dismeguy

www.seateddimevarieties.com >>

THE MAN! OMG!
  • Options
    Here's the only "real" overdate in the iHC series, the 1888/7, S1....image

• Options
    Lake...can't quite make it out...could you please blow that up a little...
  • Options
    Lake...can't quite make it out...could you please blow that up a little... Will try when I get home tonight.....image

Smitty - what's the date on that coin?? 1887??

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file