Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Heads Up Merc People. 1937P MS68FB Merc on Ebay.

On Ebay right now there is a Auction for a 1937P PCGS MS68FB Merc. If anyone is thinking about bidding on the coin I believe caution should be taken. It appears to me that the side by side photo that is shown in the aution was Hi-Jacked from the Pinnacle Site. The picture of the slab I could not find. Maybe if you are thinking about bidding on the coin Emaill the seller and ask for a reverse shot of the slab. The two pictures follow with thw Pinnacle photo on top and the auction photo, which they lightened up some, on the bottom.

It, the Auction, looks shady to me. Use your own judgement if you are thinking about bidding.

Ken

Comments

• Options
    PQpeacePQpeace Posts: 4,799 ✭✭✭
    It is the same slab #..
    maybe this guy is letting Pinnacle try and sell it sor him ??
    Larry Shapiro Rare Coins - LSRC
    POB 854
    Temecula CA 92593
    310-541-7222 office
    310-710-2869 cell
    www.LSRarecoins.com
    Larry@LSRarecoins.com

PCGS Las Vegas June 24-26
    Baltimore July 14-17
    Chicago August 11-15
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pinnacle does not give a picture of the slab from what I see. Pinnacle's description is exactly the same as the aution description. Still strange I think.

Ken
  • Options
    Here is a little secret image

pull up the pinnacle pic..

right click on it..
    click properties...

and the slab # shows up image))
    POB 854
    Temecula CA 92593
    310-541-7222 office
    310-710-2869 cell
    www.LSRarecoins.com
    Larry@LSRarecoins.com

Baltimore July 14-17
    Chicago August 11-15
  • Options
    Thanks Larry.

Are the numbers the same ? I did not look. Its odd that a person would auction a coin like this during a Holiday Weekend and only make the auction 3 days. Check the Feedback also.

You are Trusting....image I would not touch this one with a ten foot pole without confirming who has the coin first. Maybe the auctioneer has a different 37P. Still proof would be needed.

Ken
  • Options
    mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭
    I saw it too -- and concur that something doesn't compute.

This guy who's selling it is has almost no recent activity, and the activity he does have is non-coin. How then, out of the blue, is he selling this real tough coin?

Larry, I see you're the high bidder -- I commend you for taking a "flyer" on this one. I don't doubt that the coin exists, I just have a feeling this is one of those "what's wrong with this picture" highjacked kind of looking auction.
  • Options
    Thanks for the detective work guys..
    I will call pinnacle before I send any money image

yes..same slab #
    POB 854
    Temecula CA 92593
    310-541-7222 office
    310-710-2869 cell
    www.LSRarecoins.com
    Larry@LSRarecoins.com

Baltimore July 14-17
    Chicago August 11-15
  • Options
    So Larry will this coin be for your Registry Set if you win it ? If so do I get a partial assist on the purchase and FIND ? If both answers are yes, how much for the 25P No Band coin.....image

Edit to Add: If Mikes comes back, the 25P, No Band this Gentle Ribbing is superceded by default because of a prior discussion with Mike. image

Ken
  • Options
    Ken, I have about a dozen grades coming by Tuesday of this week -- there's a 25-P in there -- and if it NB's and you don't get Larry's ... the 25-P NB is yours.

By the way...I want 1/3 of your vig from Larry -- I saw this coin 90 seconds after it posted and almost did the opening bid on it image Then I decided not to because of further research, and I knew if it was legit that Larry would get it anyway...so why bother image
  • Options
    Mike I thought you said it would be Full Band ? If it is not I retract what I said about Larry's...image I want yours !!! It was at the Top of my list.

I still think we will find out that this is a bogus listing for the 37P. Maybe not but I just have this feeling with the seller in Michigan and Pinnacle in Washington. Then again I could be Dead Wrong.

Ken
  • Options
    Hhmmm...For some reason I had NB written down in my crib sheet on what I sent in. Maybe it was your power of suggestion image

However, looking at our chat's...it appears as though it was FB?? -- Oh well, I'll know by Tuesday...I called on Friday afternoon and the coins were in V2 (last stage of verification...they said they were going to even try to get them done Friday -- but no dice).

Larry -- you have to give us the scoop on this as soon as you get it image
  • Options
    Guys..I don't need another 37p..have 2 already..

I just want it at the right price image
    Larry

I am sure the owner has it covered .....
    POB 854
    Temecula CA 92593
    310-541-7222 office
    310-710-2869 cell
    www.LSRarecoins.com
    Larry@LSRarecoins.com

Baltimore July 14-17
    Chicago August 11-15
  • Options
    Hey I need a 37p , maybe I will check this one out
    Tim
    LOOKING FOR 1931-s merc that is nice for the grade and fb
  • Options
    I have that coin here in my hand, and I can confirm that this is a fraudulent listing.

I have notified eBay and hopefully this listing will be ended promptly.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.
  • Options
    thanks for the info Scott
    now just change your icon pic image
    Tim
    LOOKING FOR 1931-s merc that is nice for the grade and fb
  • Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yup Scott - you gotta lose the face or I'll never talk to ya again imageimage

nice detective - kudos to Ken for the eyes image

Marc
  • Options
    geez...what is that, a monkey!!!??? whew...scary!!

P.S. Sharp eye there Ken!!! Kudos to you!!!
    RAD
  • Options
    is it off of ebay ??
    I really wanted to play with this guy...
    POB 854
    Temecula CA 92593
    310-541-7222 office
    310-710-2869 cell
    www.LSRarecoins.com
    Larry@LSRarecoins.com

Baltimore July 14-17
    Chicago August 11-15
  • Options
    CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If there's a Merc for sale anywhere on the 'net, we can count on Ken or Larry to sniff it out.image

Nice going, Ken! You're definitely one of the good guys.

Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • Options
    Ken gets the gold star for this one image
    POB 854
    Temecula CA 92593
    310-541-7222 office
    310-710-2869 cell
    www.LSRarecoins.com
    Larry@LSRarecoins.com

Baltimore July 14-17
    Chicago August 11-15
  • Options
    MarkMark Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally, I think Ken sucks because I bet that eBay selller would have sold me the coin for less than Pinnacle!!!

Mark

P.S. image
    Mark

• Options

<< <i>Personally, I think Ken sucks because I bet that eBay selller would have sold me the coin for less than Pinnacle!!!

Mark

P.S. image >>

How could he? The auction was ended because it was lost I think....image

Thanks Guys but this was just dumb luck. Actually the auction was viewed just to see which one of you was bidding on it and the pictures sure looked familiar. Then I saw a guy who had just bought one of my coins so I Emailed him with what I thought was going on. Then it was here to express my opinion. Kudo's should also go to whoever got ahold of Pinnacle to confirm the bogus auction. This is sort of rare on Ebay when it comes to certified Mercs. Its the first one I have seen, I think.

Anyway no one here got burned so that is really cool.

Ken
  • Options
    While on this eBay topic, you just have to see this:

eBay Link 1938 NGC Proof 66 Mercury Dime

I think I've seen it all, now image

It is a photocopy of an NGC cert, inserted in to a Yu-Gi-Oh! card holder (see through) and put on top of a just about most circulated dime I've seen. And the label says...well the link above makes it obvious.
  • Options
    CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The seller says he's not sure if it is real, but all he'd have to do is show it to any collector or dealer, and they'd laugh at it.

Maybe it's a former PF66 that got into circulation.......... for about 30 years. image

Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!