Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2005 Houston S.W. Money Show -- Official Show Report Thread

StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
I received the following 2005 Houston S.W. Money Coin Show Schedule of Events from Carl Schwenker (Show Chairman). If you have an questions about the show Carl can be reached at either TexasCoins@Houston.rr.com or at 281-586-9727.

2005 Houston Money Coin Show Schedule of Events

Thursday, January 27, 2005

9:00 a.m. Security begins in auction lot viewing area
Superior Galleries lot viewing begins entrance area
11:00 a.m. Dealer registration begins at loading dock entrance Security room opens - Room 301C
Security begins in bourse, security room, entrance
2:00 p.m. Bourse open to dealers and “early birds” - Main Entrance
6:30 p.m. BBQ buffet dinner for dealers & early birds
8:00 p.m. Superior Galleries auction lot-viewing ends

Bourse closes for the night

Friday, January 28, 2005

9:00 a.m. Superior Galleries auction lot viewing entrance area
Bourse open for dealers, early birds & exhibitors
10:00 a.m. Ribbon cutting ceremony
Bourse open to the public
11:00 a.m. Door prize drawing
1:00 p.m. Educational Presentation – Room 301 A
“Numismatic Appraisals – the Inside Story”
Alvin Stern, ASA, Stern Numismatics, Houston
Door prize drawing
2:00 p.m. Educational Presentation - Room 301 A
“Coin Prices over the Last 50 years”
Mike Fuljenz, Universal Coin & Bullion, Beaumont, TX
3:00 p.m. Door prize drawing
5:00 p.m. Door prize drawing
6:00 p.m. Bourse closes for the night
Superior Galleries Auction begins
Room 301 “A & B”–Corridor Entrance

Saturday, January 29, 2005

9:00 a.m. Superior Galleries auction lot viewing
9:00 a.m. Bourse opens to dealers & early birds & exhibitors
10:00 a.m. Bourse opens to public
11:00 a.m. Educational Presentation - Room 301A
“Early American Silver Dollars”
Jim Bevil, Governor, Texas Numismatic Association
Youth Auction lot viewing begins-Rear of Hall
Door Prize Drawing
Announcement of exhibit winners & awarding of prizes

Schedule of Events (continued)

Saturday, January 29, 2005 (continued)

12:00 noon Girl Scout Collecting Badge Seminar - Room 301A
Patti Finner-Program Creator, Iola, WI
Boy Scout Merit Badge Seminar Room 301C
Jim Bevil- TNA Governor, Houston, TX
1:00 p.m. Door Prize Drawing
1:30 p.m. Youth Auction begins - Rear of Exhibit Hall “G”
2:00 p.m. Educational Presentation - Room 301A
“So you want to collect paper money. Now what?”
Richard Laster, President Greater Houston Coin Club
3:00 p.m. Door Prize Drawing
Youth Treasure Hunt Begins
Educational Presentation - Room 301A
“Introduction to Ancient Coins”
Brian Holland,
4:00 p.m. Youth Treasure Hunt Drawing rear of Hall
5:00 p.m. Door Prize Drawing
6:00 p.m. Bourse closes for the night
Superior Galleries Auction begins
Room 301 “A & B”–Corridor Entrance

Sunday, January 30, 2005

9:00 a.m. Bourse opens to Dealers & Early Birds
10:00 a.m. Bourse open to the public
11:00 a.m. Door Prize Drawing
Youth Auction lot viewing begins
1:00 p.m. Door Prize Drawing
1:30 p.m. Youth Auction begins
2:00 p.m. Door Prize Drawing
$10 Gold Piece Drawing
3:00 p.m. Show Closes
4:00 p.m. Show security ends

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"

Comments

• Options
    mhammermanmhammerman Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭
    Thanks very much for posting this schedule...I couldn't find it anywhere. Let's meet!
  • Options
    Mike: You are welcome!! And, I look forward to meeting you at the Houston S.W. Money Show!!

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

• Options
    As a reminder...

Stuart

• Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    I may be there Friday (work permitting), but Saturday is my best chance. It wold be cool if we could get something set up on one of these days.
  • Options
    hey stuart, what are they calling early birds? Is this the public or something else. I already have permission to leave work early form work on Friday ( fom wife of course) but sounds if I can become an early bird then I may go thursday instead. My son wants to go so WE will go for the youth auctions as well. Only second coin show so still feeling my way aruond them. I hope I find someone that wants a 58 cameo nickel. One of those good deal coins to help me get other ones.
  • Options
    SafetyMan: According to the show coordinator Carl Schwenker:

"An early bird badge allows the holder into the show for "dealer set-up" (the wholesale show) on Thursday and to enjoy the "out-of-this-world" East Texas BBQ buffet on Thursday evening. The set-up hours are 2:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. (but with the dinner bell ringing at 6:30m p.m. that pretty well ends the activity.) An early bird badge cost $50.00. "

If you have further questions about the show, please contact Carl Directly via e-mail at: TexasCoins@Houston.rr.com

Stuart

• Options
    Thanks Stuart for digging up the schedule.image
    Keith
  • Options
    Keith: You are most welcome!! I hope to see you at next weekend's show!! image

Stuart

• Options
    We plan on meeting on Saturday at JBSteven's table at 11:00. Hope to see a lot of you there.

• Options
    REMINDER...

Stuart

• Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    Thanks Stuart for the list of events for the show.
    It sounds like its going to be truly the best show ever.
    Hope to see yall on Friday afternoon and or, Saturday.
    Cheers

• Options
    Hope to see a lot of you there. image

• Options

Stuart, great post! Thanks.

Please stop by our table to chat for awhile. We are at corner table #432.
    www.jaderarecoin.com - Updated 6/8/06. Many new coins added!

Our eBay auctions - TRUE auctions: start at $0.01, no reserve, 30 day unconditional return privilege & free shipping!
  • Options
    Dennis: Thanks! I'm looking forward to finally meeting you and James (if he's with you). I'll arrive at the show Friday morning and will look for you ~10:30am after first saying hello to Jason Stevens.

Stuart

• Options
    We will meet here. image

• Options
    BladeBlade Posts: 1,744
    Where is this show? Turns out I will be in Houston this weekend but unsure if I can make it (which would be an unfortunate turn of events). Let me know the location and I'll do my best.

Tom

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Type collector since 1981
    Current focus 1855 date type set
  • Options
    George Brown Convention Center

• Options
    Louis where were you today- missed a bunch of deals man.....
  • Options
    I had a great day today with DizzleCC and some others at the Houston S.W. Money Show. I attended two of the coin investment educational seminars, and received a nice complimentary copy of Mike Fuljenz & Doug Winter's new $20 Liberty Type 3 book. Thanks Mike!! image

Purchased a very pretty toned 1902-S PCGS MS-63 (Semi-PL) Morgan Dollar from TNFC, which Matt was kind enough to hold for me and to bring to Houston from Florida for me to evaluate prior to purchasing. Thanks Matt and TNFC! image

Also thanks to Royalty Coins of San Antonio for allowing me to look through all of their common date Morgans before MorganNut2 (Wade) could get them!! image

Saw Tonekiller (Bryan), JBSteven (Jason), JadeRareCoin (Dennis & Jessica), MorganHunter2 (Wade), DizzleCC (Damian), and met Dalton (Grant) -- boy he's got some beautiful Morgans and a whole display case full of high quaity CC Morgans!!! image

The retail traffic was modest today, but as a result the coin pickin's for the collectors was outstanding!! I urge others to attend tomorrow when we plan to get together at 11:00am to meet at Jason's table. I may wish to attend Jim Bevill's Early American Dollar presentation prior to joining the group for lunch -- if we can delay lunch by 45 mins to an hour...

Congrats to Carl Schwenker for organizing a wonderful show with lots of top rated national dealers like Legend, U.S. Coins and Gus Tiso (Morgan Dollar market maker). I've got lots more dealers to see tomorrow -- there's lots to see!!!

Stuart

• Options
    Hey Stuart- don't tell everyone to show up- then I can't cherry pick- not fair... BTW- that is on he(( of an 02-s you got. I think I will be obtaining a few from a few select dealers on the bourse floor- and I'm going to bring a few for those that want to have fun guessing the grade, and help me with my raws(I already know what they are but it is fun seeing what others think).

I'm gonna join the wannabe tribe here soon - I just hope the real dealers don't get to mad at my presence....
  • Options

Had a good time talking with Stuart and morganhunter2 today (hey morganhunter2, we brought coins back with us so we have to stay in the room, so we can't go out today for the "tour of clubs" image).

We are having a good time so far. Houston is a neat town and the show is going fairly well.

Our eBay auctions - TRUE auctions: start at $0.01, no reserve, 30 day unconditional return privilege & free shipping!
  • Options
    Dennis: It was a pleasure meeting you today at the Houston Money Show!!

At your special request I will bring my Author Icon Coin (below) to the show tomorrow and a couple of other coins that I think you will like to see in person.

imageimage

imageimage

imageimage

Stuart

• Options

Stuart, I look forward to seeing those beauties in person. I have been waiting to see your Bust Dollar for over a year now!

• Options
    Dennis: Some Busts are worth waiting a year to see!! image

Stuart

• Options
    Today was a great day at the Houston S.W. Money Show, as I was able to speak with the following dealers and browse through their great inventories. All of them were extremely courteous and helpful which really enhanced this show experience!! Thanks to you all!! image

Gus Tiso (A real treat for me to finally meet Mr. Morgan Dollar), Mike Fuljenz, Jason Stevens, Dennis Tarrant (JadeRareCoin), Laura Sperber (Legend), Larry Cundari, David & Ginger Pike, Steve Sanders, Grant (Dalton Coin), Bryan Osborne (Tonekiller) anmd Royalty Coins (San Antonio).

I am looking forward to sifting a layer deeper into the tons of high quality Morgans and other coins at the show tomorrow, as well as meeting other forum members there. I'm also looking forward to attending Jim Bevill's Early American Dollar presentation tomorrow.

Mike Fuljenz of Beaumont, TX was very generous by handing out certified Mexican 2 Peso gold coins to most meeting participants!!! image He also gave us each a complimentary copy of his latest $20 Liberty Double Eagle book!! image He also gave a very interesting presentation on coin prices over the past 50 years.

I'm looking forward to seeing you guys tomorrow!! image

Stuart

• Options
    Thanks for the great update Stuart. That is one of the most attractive 1799's I ve ever seen. WOW!!! Bring it to the Baltimore Show so us ex: Houstoners living back east can see it live too!! Morgannut2(Bill) image
    morgannut2
  • Options
    I really enjoyed the show today. Met some board members, visited with some I had met previously and sold a few coins. image

• Options
    never did make it to the show. image
    oh well. i,m sure next year prices will be alot less
    and i can buy even more rare coins........ya right!!!
  • Options
    Thanks to MorganHunter2 (Wade) for inviting me, Louis and MHammerman (Mike) to lunch at a nearby eatery and for buying us lunch!! image The four of had a great time meeting one another, and getting to know each other.

Today was a great coin swapping & buying day for me. There are great coins out there at affordable prices (yes even CC PL Morgans!).

I was able to swap and upgrade one of my 1885-CC Morgans to a beautiful 1885-CC PCGS MS-65 PL Morgan Dollar that is now part of my PL/DMPL Morgan Dollar Variety Registry Set

Thanks to Grant Campbell of Dalton Gold & Silver Exchange for helping me to find this very beautiful PL Gem 1885-CC which is very much appreciated. I've been looking for that "just right" 1885-CC for about a year now.

At the end of the day, I also quite by accident found a very high-end 1884-CC in PCGS MS-64 PL with very subtle pretty light brown rim- toning which I could not pass up which to me really has that MS-65 PL look. It really complements the above-mentioned 1885-CC. image

I was also able to purchase 3 colorfully 2-sided toned PCGS certified 1885-O (64), 1896 (63) & 1902-O(64) Morgans at CDN Greysheet prices. The 1885-O is really colorful (blues and pinks) for which I paid about a $15 premium over standard price.

I also has the pleasure of visiting a bit more with Dennis Tarrant of Jade Rare Coin, and as promised showed him the 3 coins which he asked to see (photos posted earlier in this thread) -- 1799 Bust Dollar, 1826 Bust Half & 1857 Seated Half. I also brought in my 2 favorite PCGS AU-58 1860-O & 1872 Seated Liberty Dollars -- one of which most agree looks more like an MS-63 PL (the 1860-O) which I enjoyed sharing with Dennis, Wade, Louis & Mike.

DizzleCC and I are planning to return to the show tomorrow (Sunday) to scope out some end of show bargains. It's been a great show for the collectors, but unfortunately a bit slow for the dealers -- i.e. for once in a long while it's been a good buyer's market.. image

Stuart

• Options
    Very sorry I couldn't make it. First one I've missed in years.

I am here at home with a nasty flu bug and a fever. Even if I could have struggled down there today, I don't think too many would have appreciated my flu germs being spread about in the atmosphere.

I feel bad enough without having to miss the show. I had been looking forward to this one for quite awhile now.

I guess I'll have to meet up with you guys next time around. image
    "Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
    John Marnard Keynes, The Economic Consequences of the Peace, 1920, page 235ff
  • Options
    sorry to hear you got the bug deadhorse.
    fill up with the meds and get yer ash back
    in there. image
  • Options
    Great time at the show. Had a great time with board members, gentlemen all and plenty of fun to talk with. A big thanks to the Morgan hunter for the hospitality (picked up the tab he did). The morganhunter is that...he slapped about 25 of these on the table and we had a grading party (average grade about 63.8) with cold beers...hard to beat! Never found my sayse or em bei so maybe it was meant for another day. Didn't see any indians that caught my eye but saw a matte proof $10 that was so nice that my wallet alarm started going off about two tables away before I even knew it was there. Thank goodness I don't like matte proofs. The indians are getting very hard to find in the low MS grades. There was a very interesting exhibit by the Bureau of Engraving there and they even had real Bureau guys there.
  • Options
    << Didn't see any indians that caught my eye.. >>

Mike: It's a good thing too, because they may have gone on the warpath and could have tried to scalp us!! image

Stuart

• Options
    So, stuart...do we have bust news?
  • Options
    Mike: Nope, did not stay for tonight's auction. I am curious what that Pretty PCGS AU-55 Bust Half sold for tonight. Anybody know if the closing prices are posted on the web yet?

Stuart

• Options
    Thanks Stuart for keeping us collectors who could not make to Houston this weekend with your detailed reports.You should consider doing a TV show about coins and coin shows.Your descriptive reports make it feel like I am there on the floor room spending money that I shouldn't.
    Hope to see you at one of JMV Entertainment's "Coin and Currency Shows" coming up in 2005.

James Vaughn
    JMV Entertainment
    www.jmventertainment.com

p.s If you do a T.V show (PBS,History Channel etc) I want to be in the credits.image
    Looking for the best collectibles shows in Texas ? Go to http://www.jmventertainment.com
  • Options
    James: You are very welcome!! image

Stuart

• Options
    Sunday (Final Day) Show Report:

DizzleCC and I stayed faithfully defending JBStevens' Affordable Coins of Houston booth space to the very end of today's show at 3:00pm.

I got to see what it feels like to be on the back side of the coin booth, rather than walking the aisle!! It was fun, but Sunday retail traffic was very slow...

I was, however, able to make a last minute trade in the closing minutes of the show for a really sweet beautifully toned 1881-CC PCGS MS-63 Morgan. It's got a very deep red/blue toning on the obverse and a lighter golden orangy-yellow (sunset colored) toning on the reverse.

I also picked up a nice grouping of 1885 NCG MS-63 Morgans from Chuck Furjanic which were all graded from the same bag of lightly golden-yellow toned coins, a couple of which exhibit that gray checkered canvas bag patterned toning...

I thoroughly enjoyed all 3 days that I participated in the Houston S.W. Money Show!! image

Stuart

• Options
    Stuart, thanks for all the reports. Hope everyone had a good show. I only made it for about an hour Friday morning. I did show the 81-S Morgan with the DMPL reverse I got from you to a couple dealers and they were impressed. NOPE not for sale, just showing it off.

Jerry

edited: Stuart my apologies. I bought the 1881S reverse DMPL Morgan from jbstevens.
  • Options
    Hi Jerry: I'm glad that you are pleased with the 1881-S which you were kind enough to purchase from me. I always appreciate having satisfied customers.

My resistance level broke down and I purchased some really flashy recently graded common date Morgans in NGC holders. Some of them are graded MS-63 and look like MS-64 near-miss PL's to my eye... Needless to say I purchased more than I need for myself image

I also picked up a "mechanical error" mislabeled NGC 1896 Morgan Dollar that also appears to an MS-64 near-miss PL, which is labeled as an 1886 MS-62 (No way!!!) image

Going to this show reminded me of how much fun I have looking at coins in person, as well as visiting with the dealers and making creative business deals with them -- like trading coins which I no longer need, for coins that I really want... image

It was a very fun show for me -- especially since I did not have to fight crowds of people for the coins that I liked...

When I get a chance to take some photos, I'll post my new 1885-CC PCGS MS-65 PL, 1884-CC MS-64 PL and today's purchase the really sweetly toned 1881-CC PCGS MS-63...

Stuart

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file