Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Don't you hate it when...

LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
...you start comparing your household expenses with "opportunities lost" in terms of cash available for coin purchases. Just in this past week, my car needed brakes and a drive belt ($500), my wife ran over a curb with her car and cracked the rim ($400), and the furniture delivery people came on Saturday with the new dining room furniture ($13,000). I could have a much nicer collection if I just took the bus to work and continued to eat at the kitchen table (I need to get my priorities straight).
Always took candy from strangers
Didn't wanna get me no trade
Never want to be like papa
Working for the boss every night and day
--"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)

Comments

• Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't get me started. Given the choice between an 1854-D $3 and a 95 year old Mason & Hamlin baby grand piano, offered (coincidentally) to me at exactly the same price, guess which one I ended up with?

No, guess again, the piano. image
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    The Piano?

Tomimage
  • Options
    Of course the friggin' piano! image

Edited to add: My wife gives me a tremendous amount of latitude with our finances, so I cannot really complain when we get one of the few things that she really wants. I am grateful to be able to buy the few, meager coins that I can.
  • Options
    Russ, you bad boy! My network at work refused my attempt to get to the website you linked.
  • Options
    UncleJoeUncleJoe Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭
    (I need to get my priorities straight).

Sure enough!!!

What kind of dining room furniture sets one back $13,000. image and why?

Joe.
  • Options
    Wow Robert, you bang the ivories?

Tom
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Use your head. Get the old rim slabbed. For when collectors start lookin for circs.
    Nobody wanted sample slabs years ago.

Reminds me of when guys used to come in the shop and ask whether they should buy bullion or diamonds.
    Always used to tellem that the bullion was what they came in for, but the diamond would get em a BJ.

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>My network at work refused my attempt to get to the website you linked. >>

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Wow Robert, you bang the ivories?

No, I do not, but I am thinking about taking lessons. Why have such a beautiful piano sit idly in our living room?
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    Robert--

How are you going to fit that piano in a safe deposit box?

PS. I had to click on that link above. It was divorce.com.
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    Okay, Russ, at least I see the address: www.divorce.com. I guess our Christian faith hospital considers that off-limits.

Anyway, it would deprive me of a revenue stream that allows me to buy coins, so it would not be in the best interests of my collection. image

Edited to add: Sorry, Mike, for hijacking your thread.
  • Options

<< <i>Wow Robert, you bang the ivories?

No, I do not, but I am thinking about taking lessons. Why have such a beautiful piano sit idly in our living room? >>

image You are "thinking" about taking lessons?

Tom
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On a serious note, if you are in a large city take a look at the new FURNITURE consignment stores.

Amazing!

Way back when I was in real estate, one of my compadres was tight with the homebuilders. She dumped real estate (as did I) and opened a store selling all their "model home" furniture.
    Presto! What was a chore for builders before was now a 60% to them and 40% to her.
    And the stuff is gorgeous.
    I tried like heck to figure out HOW to get one of the dining room sets into our house.
    Solid oak with beveled glass inset in brass frames. The table, chairs, hutch, breakfront, and china cabinet....$2500.00 !!!!

I can still see that set. Easy 10-15k at a store.

oh well.....I bought some metal or coins.

• Options
    You are "thinking" about taking lessons?

The piano was purchased for my wife and kids. (Why can't the little squirts learn on a cheap, out-of-tune upright beater piano, like everyone else?)

• Options

<< <i>You are "thinking" about taking lessons?

The piano was purchased for my wife and kids. (Why can't the little squirts learn on a cheap, out-of-tune upright beater piano, like everyone else?) >>

I agree with that one. I learned at age 4 on a Cable Nelson which still remains in the family ( my brother has it) and I haven't played in years.

Tom
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>it would deprive me of a revenue stream that allows me to buy coins, so it would not be in the best interests of my collection. >>

Ah, a valid reason for marriage. image

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Long, your life is a cake walk.

Last weekend, truck died, new vehicle $27,000+.
    Stepdaughter moves in and has no car as her old boyfriend shuffled her around $3,000+ minimum.
    Snow Thrower $799
    PC needed memory upgrade $278.
    Son needed a lawyer $1500.
    Septic Tank needed pumped out $250.

If my wife huts curb, she gets her own loan... Tire $369, Rim $500. (She's already done it once, so I know!)

Have to go check the presses......

• Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,761 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>...you start comparing your household expenses with "opportunities lost" in terms of cash available for coin purchases. >>

image I most certainly think the same way.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Long, your life is a cake walk.

Last weekend, truck died, new vehicle $27,000+.
    Stepdaughter moves in and has no car as her old boyfriend shuffled her around $3,000+ minimum.
    Snow Thrower $799
    PC needed memory upgrade $278.
    Son needed a lawyer $1500.
    Septic Tank needed pumped out $250.

If my wife huts curb, she gets her own loan... Tire $369, Rim $500. (She's already done it once, so I know!)

Have to go check the presses...... >>

You are making life too hard...

New, used, truck $10,000 or less image
    Stepdaughter's transportation - Bike $200
    Snowshovel $20
    PC doesn't need memory upgrade $0
    I'll let the lawyer for the son and the pumping of the septic tank remain, but, see? I just saved you ~$21,000 image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    RYK wrote:

<< <i>Edited to add: My wife gives me a tremendous amount of latitude with our finances, so I cannot really complain when we get one of the few things that she really wants. I am grateful to be able to buy the few, meager coins that I can. >>

Sounds like it's either true love.... image or...

His wife must read his threads!!! image

If I only had a dollar for every VAM I have...err...nevermind...I do!! image

My "Fun With 21D" Die State Collection - QX5 Pics Attached
    -----
    Proud Owner of
    2 –DAMMIT BOY!!! ® Awards
  • Options
    Heh. Welcome to my world. Paychecks are eaten faster than free chocolate at a Weight Watchers meeting. image My meager paycheck is eaten up by car payments, insurance, and college loan payments each month that total $760. Then I have to pay for the copay on all my precriptions and doctor's visits which total about forty bucks a month. My car just recently had to be serviced/repaired, and that took $150 out of me. Family members have birthdays/anniversaries which fall every month, so if I don't spend $50 on a gift I get all these dirty looks. It seems as if whenever my income increases, the debt rises up at the same rate. lol. So I buy my coins whenever that rare moment occurs where no bills suddenly decide to pop up. What's even rougher is that I'm trying to save up to buy my own place as well. The really depressing thing is when I talk to a realtor and give him/her all my information about income/expendetures and they just kind of laugh when I say that I'd like to get a single bedroom condo with the money that I can afford to spend. image
    I collect the elements on the periodic table, and some coins. I have a complete Roosevelt set, and am putting together a set of coins from 1880.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file