Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

New lights, dang they're bright, (new pics, kinda big)

mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
I got two new 300W quartz halogen lamps yesterday. These things are bright. the one drawback is that produce about as much heat as a blowtorch and I have to be careful how long I leave them on. I use a small desklamp to set the focus and then turn the lights on and take a couple shots and immediately turn them off. They allow really fast shutter speeds which helps with sharpness. here's a sample pic.

Here's what they look like. Fairly compact which is good.

coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section

Comments

• Options
    Awesome pic!!

You must be a perfectionist, becuase I do not see how it is possbile to improve on any of the pictures you posted recently.

There are several board members who take great pics, but yours alway seem to be a notch above the rest! image
  • Options
    meos1meos1 Posts: 1,135
    What is your ISO setting?
    I am just throwing cheese to the rats chewing on the chains of my sanity!

First Place Winner of the 2005 Rampage design contest!
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Impressive.

I think I saw a microbe or two on that coin's surface.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    That coin has to be an MS55 because I can see some stray electrons here and there, and there appears to be an atom or two out of place by the 'N' in 'CENT'. image Those are some incredible pictures. Beautiful detail. image
    I collect the elements on the periodic table, and some coins. I have a complete Roosevelt set, and am putting together a set of coins from 1880.
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭
    Superb images!! image

I like the consistent, even colors across the entire coin. There are a few auction companies I know of who should at least consult with you.
  • Options

<< <i>What is your ISO setting? >>

I set it at the lowest allowable 200 for this camera. Lower noise that way. And yes, I am a perfectionist with pics. I can't stand unsharpness, probably comes from the fact that I look at pics for a living.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    OOH OOH !
  • Options
    KISHU1KISHU1 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭
    Are those lights set on regular or high-beam!!! Great pics, what kind of camera & lens are you using?:
  • Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mark: Your photos are my favorite ones to view on the forum!! image

I can even see the metal flow lines on that proof Indian Cent, as well as a few minor specs of "verdigris" on the lower right reverse around the arrowheads and below.

Outstanding!!!!! image

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice pics. Awesome looking 1879 Proof. Great eye appeal on that coin.
  • Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    "FINEST KNOWN" Truly Outstanding In Every Way!!!!!!!!! Lee
  • Options
    K6AZK6AZ Posts: 9,295
    It's hard for me to tell since I don't do IHCs. Do you have a white Morgan you could do so we could compare?
  • Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570
    imageimage

imageimageimage
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options
    mgoodm3,

As always your pics are top shelf and I agree with Stuart

"Mark: Your photos are my favorite ones to view on the forum!!"

Herb
    Remember it's not how you pick your nose that matters, it's where you put the boogers.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    ERER Posts: 7,345
    I got to get me one of those! AWSOMEimage
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    Sharp is an understatement!

Mark - Have you tried a dark background, rather than white? Also, what are the pliers for? A quick crackout?
  • Options
    Awesome images. Those new lights rock.
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    OneyOney Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭✭
    What make of Camera are you using, I think I have an idea and I am considering buying one.
    Brian
  • Options
    SmittysSmittys Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great Pics,
    Just out of curiousity what's a setup like that cost?
    I'd love to take great shots like those.

Smitty
  • Options
    Here's a new image. Took a while to get things setup for a morgan and there's still a little glare at about 1 o'clock from the NGC plastic. The pliers are for taking staples out of 2x2's. I'll have to try a black background on PCGS slabs sometime. The setup is kinda expensive. Camera is a Nikon D70 and 105 mm macro lens (about $1000, more depending on lens), Kaiser copystand (about $250 and very sturdy and not too huge), Kaiser 300W quartz halogen lamps for copystand (about $400, hot like a nuclear furnace is only drawback)

• Options
    OneyOney Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, I thought it was the D70. Gotta get me one of those! image
    Brian
  • Options
    here's one in a PCGS slab. It's big but small just didn't do it justice. All I did was crop it and resize it to 1000 X 1000 and save, no enhancement.

• Options
    As I suspected, the quartz lighting is the absolute best for coin photography. I'm cheap though, and since I have an electronics background what I will probably do is build my own.

As far as the D-70, the camera body with no lense will run you about $780 after the current $100 rebate. Be prepared though, by time you buy a few lenses you will be in the neighborhood of $1500. If anyone wants to know where to get the best price on them online, let me know. There is one retailer I've dealt with that has the best price on them and I have had very good luck with this company.
  • Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mark: Your coin photos are beyond being accurate depictions of the coin details -- they are truly very beautiful photographic works of art!! imageimage

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options
    A $120 105 macro will work as well as expensive ones, there are no bad macro lens' out there.
  • Options

<< <i>A $120 105 macro will work as well as expensive ones, there are no bad macro lens' out there. >>

Oh yes there is. Go and look at some of the cheap glass on eBay. I wouldn't go near anything other than Nikon or Raynox lenses.
  • Options
    Not as much as you might think. A respected photographer/forum member here uses a digital rebel with a $120 macro that works quite nicely. I use a sigma, mid-priced lens. The really expensive lens are commonly expensive because of the floating internal elements that keep the lens the same length throughout the focus range. As long as you stick to a known brand. I don't know what crap os on Ebay.
  • Options
    I should explain my point of view. I bought a cheap macro lens, one of these:

10x macro lens

It's on the way back to the seller. Total piece of junk, could not focus at any length, and I tried it on all three of my Nikons (5400, 5700, 8800). I've learned my lesson, and it cost some money, shipping both ways plus a 15% "restocking" fee.
  • Options

<< <i>Not as much as you might think. A respected photographer/forum member here uses a digital rebel with a $120 macro that works quite nicely. I use a sigma, mid-priced lens. The really expensive lens are commonly expensive because of the floating internal elements that keep the lens the same length throughout the focus range. As long as you stick to a known brand. I don't know what crap os on Ebay. >>

Well, as I posted above, not all aftermarket lenses are good. I'm now waiting on a Raynox MSN-200 Super Macro/Close-Up lens. Here is their index page. By selecting your camera on the left, it will show all the lenses and adapters for your camera.

Raynox
  • Options
    That's a different kind of macro lens, an add-on, and I can see where the quality may suffer. The SLR macro lens are only macro because they can focus at a closer range than their normal counterparts and that just requires more lens movement (they stick out a long way at close range). Some of the higher end brands add floating internal lens elements that allow the same focus range without sticking out a mile.
  • Options
    Right, we are talking add on versus an SLR lens. Still, it pays to be careful about what type of glass you buy. As you said, the best way is word of mouth. I wish I had read some of the photography forums before I bought that cheap lens. Would have saved me the ~$25 I'm out.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file