Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Confederate Coinage and a Pilgrim Comm

Was wondering if anyone has any knowledge on these Confederate Coins? For the 1861 the Seller States: Struck from original cancelled dies? The other one the Seller States: United States Copper High Grade sharp, Tradesmen's Currency. What are some thoughts on these? This Pilgrim looks like it has a nice strike and I haven't seen one with this toning type before? Cleaned and retoned? Thanks, Lee

Comments

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    About the Confederate cent, The 2005 Redbook (p. 297) says that:

"in 1960 the dies were copied and additional pieces made by Robert Bashlow. These show die cracks and rust marks that distinguish them from earlier copies. They have very little numismatic value."

I'm not an expert, but I'm pretty sure this piece is one of those 1960 restrikes.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    LeeGLeeG Posts: 12,162
    image Anyone else? Lee
  • Options
    anablepanablep Posts: 5,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know.... but its cool to have something that says "Confederate States of America" on it.
    Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • Options
    Your Tradesman Currency is interesting, I have one certified by NGC as MS65BN. The following is the info from the slab.

(1861-65) F-202/434A
    Tradesman Currency Token.

• Options
    mommam17mommam17 Posts: 971 ✭✭✭
    I have a PCGS 65 Pilgrim with a very similar toned reverse. I think yours is originally toned.
  • Options
    image Thanks for the hlep guys!!!!!!!!!!!!! Lee
  • Options
    GeminiGemini Posts: 3,085
    We just had a thread on the confederate cent started by meos 1 on December 29 2004 if someone can link back to it there was quite a bit of information posted at that time.
    A thing of beauty is a joy for ever
  • Options
    image Thanks Gemini I found the link. I'll post the link in case someone else wants to take a look. Any more comments on the Pilgrim or the Tradesman piece? Thanks Again, Lee

Confederate Restrike
  • Options
    meos1meos1 Posts: 1,135
    Im blown away any one remembered my handle. The story on the confederates goes...

Previous discussion

So after some research there appear to be many of these. The real McCoy? 12!

They are still nice. Try the 1861 "D". There was a great article on the Dohlonega mint recently.

Dan
    I am just throwing cheese to the rats chewing on the chains of my sanity!

First Place Winner of the 2005 Rampage design contest!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file