Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Foreign coin Albums

I know that many collectors scoff at the idea of putting coins in to the punched out albums, but I was curious if these albums are made for foreign coins as well as US coinage.

I have accumulated a lot of canadian coins out of circulation and if the albums are available I would like to try to put together a circ set. This is mainly just for fun and to get familiarized with canadian coinage. I am trying to get into foreign coins and I figure what better way than canadian since is close in geographic terms and a lot can be found in circulation.

Also Is there a guide for canadian coins or would it just be best to have a Krause book???

Thanks for your Imput

Jeff
I collect bits and pieces of everything
or should I say I ACCUMULATE!
I also dabble with the darkside image

Ive recently gotten more into currency, especially modern star notes

Comments

• Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭
    Whitman & others have both the blue tri-fold folders as well as "bookshelf" albums for Canadian, Australian, Mexican, British, and Canadian Provinces' coins - - I have filled (or at least tried to) many a blue tri-fold with circ coins over my lifetime, so go for it!! image

A great source of all those types, both new & used (and quite reasonable! ) is:

Randy Miller
    c/o Chief Coin & Supply Co.
    P.O. Box 254
    Oshkosh, WI
    54903-0254

Phone: 920-231-6161
    Fax: 920-231-6122

He has a printed price list available on request.

I have used him several times as a source of some harder to get folders, and have successfully recommended him to several Forum members, including one from Greece!

And I believe several other Forum members have met/recognized him at some shows (which is why it may take him a little time to respond on occasion - - I believe it's just him and his wife working the company...).

So give him a try, good luck, and let me know how it goes. And I may have some dates to help you fill some holes -- let me know what you need after you get everything arranged.

As far as a guide, I believe there is a checklist-type paperback out there similar to U.S. coins. Krause is good to get a general idea. Once you get a Whitman blue folder, they will have other folders in the series listed to give you an idea of where to branch off to.

One caveat...... the Whitman series discontinued producing Canadian folders a while ago. So you WILL need to hand-write dates in many situations, as well as keep up with developments in circulating releases (such as their special "quarters" series between 1999 & 2001, etc)

There is a newer, Canadian-made variety of blue folder, but I don't like it - - no holes - - just plastic pockets for bare coins.

Anyway.... hope this helped, and good luck!

- - Dave image
  • Options
    Spiffy469Spiffy469 Posts: 661 ✭✭
    Thanks for the wealth of information.
    I will definately get back to you once i have the folder and have put in the coins i already have.

Jeff
    I collect bits and pieces of everything
    or should I say I ACCUMULATE!
    I also dabble with the darkside image

Ive recently gotten more into currency, especially modern star notes
  • Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭
    Jeff: PM sent!

- - Daveimage
  • Options
    LuvdawgsLuvdawgs Posts: 1,512
    HERE"S A URL where you can find Gardmaster coin albums for Canadian coins. I use them and think
    they are very good...something like Dansco albums.

I use Charlton Standard Catalogue for Canadian Coins to identify my Canadian coins. It's published yearly, and you can find it on Ebay or from some
    Canadian coin dealers, such as COLONIAL ACRES. Charlton also publishes other books
    on Canadian tokens. You can buy the coin guide and their other books directly from CHARLTON PRESS' WEBSITE, HERE. There is also a Canadian Coin magazine,www.canadiancoinnews.ca and a website www.canadiancoin.com that you can find out all about Canadian numismatics.

Dave's sources are great as well image Good luck in your Canadian coin hunting, Jeff! image