Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

New Submission Rules - Clarification

keojkeoj Posts: 980 ✭✭✭
I apoligize if this was discussed over the last week. But I wanted to make sure that I understand.....

Min coin # for regular submissions is 5 (versus 1)
Silver submission rights cost ~$50/year (versus free)

Is this correct? I was a little surprised to see that Silver costs money to join now.

Thanks and again, excuse the redundancy again.

keoj

Comments

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    pharmerpharmer Posts: 8,355
    You could pay more at the gold level and earn the bonus of no more 4 freebies.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• Options
    RBinTexRBinTex Posts: 4,328
    Why not go for the platinum level & get 2 years free pop report (worth about $79) + ms69 silver eagle (worth about $20-25) + two free submissions forms EACH good for 4 free gradings (worth AT LEAST 7*14=$98) + 1 copy of the printed pop report (worth $19) - I think - at least I got it. It's definitely the best deal (as long as you are going to submit 4 coins twice anyway. image

Total value AT LEAST $216 & at least $235 if you value the eagle at $25 & the free submissions at $16. Of course the submissions are worth more than even the $16 since they more closely get done about the same timeframe as the $30 regular than the 65 day modern/economy.
  • Options
    SmittysSmittys Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has anyone asked DH why they did away with the 4 free submissions
    with the gold plan???
    Just wondering
  • Options
    TrooperTrooper Posts: 1,450
    If you "join" the Platinum Membership for 2 years you only get a One Year subscription to the quarterly "PCGS Population Report" .

Are you suppose to pay for this again after 1 year on your 2 year membership? Or is this included each year....

PLATINUM MEMBERSHIP (2 Year)

A voucher for Eight FREE Submissions (Approximately 21 business days)

Plus, all the benefits of Gold membership:

One Year subscription to the quarterly "PCGS Population Report"
    The Official Guide to Coin Grading and Counterfeit Detection, 2nd Edition
    Direct Submission Privileges to All PCGS Grading Services for One Year
    One-Year subscription to the On-Line "PCGS Population Report" & "PCGS Price Guide"
    Access to all Collectors Universe eShops, Set Registry, and Message Boards
    eZine of your choice

Edited to rephrase
  • Options
    Good question, Trooper. Apparently so. And my Grading/Counterfeit guide doesn't need updating, never use the hard copy of the pop report, and the eshop? Please.

Edited to incorporate english

Apropos of the coin posse/aka caca: "The longer he spoke of his honor, the tighter I held to my purse."

• Options

<< <i>Good question, Trooper. Apparently so. And my Grading/Counterfeit guide doesn't need updating, never use the hard copy of the pop report, and the eshop? Please.

Edited to incorporate english >>

Hey, if you think it's odd that we don't don't know what's going on, how do you think they feel???image
  • Options
    Yes but the pop report page says if you're a Collector Club Member, you get the pops online--- period. What-- are they suddenly going to do? Cutoff my online access after one year when I paid for 2 year platinium???image
    morgannut2
  • Options

<< <i>If you "join" the Platinum Membership for 2 years you only get a One Year subscription to the quarterly "PCGS Population Report" .

Are you suppose to pay for this again after 1 year on your 2 year membership? Or is this included each year....

PLATINUM MEMBERSHIP (2 Year)

A voucher for Eight FREE Submissions (Approximately 21 business days)

Plus, all the benefits of Gold membership:

One Year subscription to the quarterly "PCGS Population Report"
    The Official Guide to Coin Grading and Counterfeit Detection, 2nd Edition
    Direct Submission Privileges to All PCGS Grading Services for One Year
    One-Year subscription to the On-Line "PCGS Population Report" & "PCGS Price Guide"
    Access to all Collectors Universe eShops, Set Registry, and Message Boards
    eZine of your choice

Edited to rephrase >>

I think they mean you get all the benefits of Gold membership for the 2 years of your Platinum membership, but they need to correct that on the website. It does not make sense to get a 2 year membership, then have direct submission privileges cut off after 1 year. Also, you no longer have the choice of getting the Silver Eagle -- you can only get the grading book.
  • Options
    I agree. I think it's probably an error.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    If you are a current 2 year member, you will have the online for the length of your membership. At this time we are not offering a two year program. All memberships listed are for one year.
    The (2 Year) was a typo and is being corrected.

Carol

• Options

<< <i>At this time we are not offering a two year program. >>

I notice that the correction of the typo for the now one year Platinum membership also included a jump in cost from $179 to $199.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    tmot99tmot99 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭
    So basically, they kept the gold membership level, doubling the submissions and price and discontinued the platinum.

From another thread, Keets wrote:

<< <i>
    Before

100 Silver---no money and no submissions.
    100 Gold---$100 each for $10K and 400 submissions.
    100 Platinum---$200 each for $20K and 800 submissions.
    $30K and 1200 submissons in exchange with the other stuff as an advertising wash.

Now

100 Silver---$50 each for $5K and no submissions.
    100 Gold---$100 each for $10K and no submissions.
    100 Platinum---$200 each for $20K and 800 submssions.
    $35K and 800 submissions in exchange with the other stuff as an advertising wash while they lose the dead weight that's slowing things down for us Kool-Aid drinkers. they should have thought of this a couple of years ago, i'd already have my last submission back, this place would be less crowded and Sleepy Hollow might actually be a viable entity. OK, nows the time when you wash your hand and get out the air freshener!!!!!!!! >>

Maybe we should redo the math...
    50 Silver---$50 each for $5K and no submissions
    150 Gold (Platinum)---$200 each for $30K and 1200 submissions
    100 quit the "membership" because they didn't want to pay in the first place and aren't going to start now.
    $35K and 1200 submissions. Was the change and loss of memberships worth the extra money?
  • Options
    I also notice that the only additional benefit for the extra $50 to go from Silver to Gold is the grading book - which retails for less.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    tmot99tmot99 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭
    Russ and I are tearing apart the new fee schedule...

I also noticed a comment under the "silver" that it includes a one-year subscription to the online population report and price guide. When did they start charging for access to the price guide? Isn't that a freebie anyway?
  • Options

<< <i>When did they start charging for access to the price guide? Isn't that a freebie anyway? >>

It's always said that. Just like the message boards are listed as one of the benefits of joining. image

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Well, at least someone accomplished quite a lot of strategic planning on all those days off

• Options
    RGLRGL Posts: 3,784
    So, for the same $99 I was paying for a Gold membership, I now get a book I already have (and, likely, most Registry collectors/PCGS members already have as well). So, obviously, I purchase the $50 Silver and PCGS has $50 less than it did before, plus it is deprived of the paid submission I always sent in with the now-vanished freebie submission. That makes good business sense. Where's the announcement there are no more quarterly freebies, as well?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file