Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

An opportunity at an original 1795 dollar

tmot99tmot99 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭
Ok. I have an opportunity to buy an 1795 dollar. It is NGC graded VF25. Given that it is 100% totally original (which I haven't seen a lot of), I will have to pay pretty strong money. The question, how strong of money is a totally original 1795 dollar worth? Also, how hard will it be to find another one should I pass on this one? For information sake, B-5 which is R-1.

Comments

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,822 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From your description of the coin I assumed it was a B5, R1 as this is the coin you will most likely encounter. If the coin is really original than I would pay quite a bit more than one might expect. How strong that has to be is up to you, however, I can tell you that if you pass on this coin you probably won't see all that many more come around, and those that do come around will also be most likely aggressive in their pricing. The attachments on this post are an example of an extraordinarily original 1795 B5, R1 in an NGC VF20 holder. No, the coin is not for sale.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    Tom, the one I am looking at is very similar to yours. There is no question on its originality.
  • Options
    Go for it! image
    -George
    42/92
  • Options
    Cam-Slam 2-6-04
    3 "DAMMIT BOYS"
    4 "YOU SUCKS"
    Numerous POTD (But NONE officially recognized)
    Seated Halves are my specialty !
    Seated Half set by date/mm COMPLETE !
    Seated Half set by WB# - 289 down / 31 to go !!!!!
    (1) "Smoebody smack him" from CornCobWipe !
    IN MEMORY OF THE CUOF image
  • Options
    tough to see from a pic, but from an originality point of view, why are there halos around some of the stars?
    USPI minimalist design collage
    designset
    Treasury Seals Type Set
  • Options
    The circular toning pattern around some rim details suggests to me that it was dipped a long while back. Also see some off-color tone on the devices suggesting second gen. retoning. It is a very nice coin though. In the million dollar antique market they call these surfaces "a very old 19th century refinish" and it never hurts the price. I'd guess a $4,500-$5,500 coin these days, and more at a FUN auction perhaps! Part of the higher price is that of the 4 or 5 totally original early VF or lower $1 pieces I've seen this year, all present as very darkly and uniformly toned so it's hard to appreciate the coin's nice detail.
    morgannut2
  • Options
    If you don't end up buying it, let me know -- I've been looking for an original 1795 in this grade range...
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,822 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those of you who have commented on the images that I posted are commenting on a completely original coin that has not been previously dipped, cleaned or retoned. The coin is a VF20 and what the scanned images are showing is the normal accumulation of dirt and oxidation on 209 years of unmolested surfaces.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a great coin Tom.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This was a convenient thread. A 1795 dollar fresh back from PCGS as an AU55 showed up in my neck of the woods. Saw the coin yesterday. While I cannot say it is 100% original it appears very pleasing with about 15-20% luster hidden among the devices and details. It's a mottled silver with darker grey sprinkled throughout. Common B-1 or BB21 2 leaves variety. These things have doubled from $10K to about $20K now. Last one Heritage had in AU55 sold for $20,700 this past month. No doubt a nice coin but not killer.

roadrunner

Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    BigMooseBigMoose Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭
    I had the privilege of seeing TomB's 1795 NGC VF20 coin in person at the Baltimore Show in December. The coin is absolutely completely original and has never been messed with in any way. Suffice it to say that I have been pestering TomB to sell it to me or at least give me first shot ever since I saw the coin.
    TomT-1794

Check out some of my 1794 Large Cents on www.coingallery.org
  • Options
    After doing a little more research, I will be buying the 1795 dollar. The price is in line with other sales that I can research. I will have to sell off some stuff to get it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file