Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What's with the price on this SLQ

Check this out. Sure it's a key date, a 1919-S, but it's got a pretty small picture, and the seller even values it himself at $200 with Trends. Check out the bid history. These two just can't be helped. And it doesn't look like shill bidding. I just wish I could get that kind of money for my F-VF 1919-S.

Just a crazy auction

Edited my title because I think dthigpen is right.
David

Comments

• Options
    dthigpendthigpen Posts: 3,932 ✭✭
    Maybe the people really want it and haven't been able to locate another for their collection thus far?
  • Options
    ddbirdddbird Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭
    Why does it look like a 29-s?
  • Options
    just goes to show what happens when 2 people want the same coin.......
  • Options
    It's definitely a 1919-S. The raised date wears much differently than the recessed dates. Well, I can't say it's not an added mintmark, but on a piece that grades Fine I doubt it.

And I bought this piece for less than $180 including shipping about 5 months ago. You can find decent deals if you wait. Maybe these two just can't wait.

David
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any commentary I had went out the window when I was struck blind by the coin in CoinFarmer's sig line. Whoa!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Just because a person has a desire for a particular coin and wants it right then and has the money to blow on it is not a reason to classify a person as a 'bidiot'.
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Did you ever find yourself bidding agaist someone only to win at all costs! Thats what it looks like to me.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options

<< <i>Just because a person has a desire for a particular coin and wants it right then and has the money to blow on it is not a reason to classify a person as a 'bidiot'. >>

You're right. I guess I was too harsh. I do find it odd that two people are that anxious to pay what seems to me an extreme premium for a pretty average coin.
    David
  • Options

<< <i>Did you ever find yourself bidding agaist someone only to win at all costs! Thats what it looks like to me. >>

Yes, whenever I see a coin that I want and don't care how much I must spend for it. I pay 'stupid money' for coins at times in the eyes of some people, these are generally people that purchase coins with the intent to resell them later. I am not a dealer in any sense, I am a collector, any coin that goes into my collection will likely never leave it until I am in the grave. I purchase coins which I enjoy, money isn't a factor, as long as it's being paid for by my 'excess' funds.
  • Options
    BigD5BigD5 Posts: 3,433
    19-s SLQ's aren't quite "average". image

they are tough to find, and tougher in the mid circulated grades. I sold my vf (anacs slabbed) about 2 years ago, and my coin fetched similar money (xf/au money) when I sold it.

With all that said, the winner of this auction did in fact pay strong money for this particular coin, in my opinion.
    BigD5
    LSCC#1864

Ebay Stuff
  • Options
    Why would someone pay this money when you can go directly to David Lawrence web site and buy one graded NGC F-15 for $230 = discount.

Mind blowing.

colorman3
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
    I am quite surprised that this coin brought $405. Three years ago, that is about what I paid for a raw 1919-S in AU 58 with a decent head for my raw-book.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file