Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1865 180 Degree Rotated Reverse Posted At www.seateddimevarieties.com

I received my Frog Run seated dimes early this week. The Frog Run collection of seated dimes was exemplary for originality and quality not to mention the really neat varieties. ANR's Frank Van Valen did a great job with the descriptions, using the new Fortin web-book on seated dimes as a reference. The bidding was furious but I did buy both the 1865 180 degree inverted reverse dime (PCGS PF63) and the 1842 double cud obverse in EF45 as they were the two significant varieties that could not be passed up. Also could not resist both the 1856-S and 1863-S dimes in beautiful mint state.

All of the above coins are now posted on the Liberty Seated Dime Varieties web-book at www.seateddimevarieties.com.

Here are the pics for those who are not members yet, maybe you will consider joining as the content continues to be update with many new varieties being submitted by members. The photography of Liberty Seated Dimes on the website is outstanding.

1865 Inverted Reverse - 180 Degrees

imageimage

1842 Double Cud Obverse

imageimage

1856-S PCGS MS62 (really???)

imageimage

1863-S NGC MS63 (really???)

imageimage

Merry Christmas to all seated collectors!

Dismeguy

Gerry Fortin's Rare American Coins Online Storefront and Liberty Seated Dime Varieties Web- Book www.SeatedDimeVarieties.com Buying and Selling all Seated Denominations....

Comments

• Options
    Nice Dimes! I have an 1861 3 cent silver with a 180 degree rotated reverse. Didn't even realize it for a long time, but finally realized, hey, the thing surrounding the III should be a C, not an upside down C.
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    nice dimes.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    seateddimeseateddime Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭
    if anyone knows of this rotated reverse for sale PM me
    I seldom check PM's but do check emails often jason@seated.org

Buying top quality Seated Dimes in Gem BU and Proof.

Buying great coins - monster eye appeal only.
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've only seen two in about ten years of looking for the variety. Dismeguy has one of them. You may have more luck looking for currently unknown die rotations in the seated dime series image

ANR has an 1866 $2.50 with upset dies in the current sale. As haletj pointed out, the 1861 3c silver piece is also known with 180 rotation, and of course there are many 1864 2c pieces with the same feature. There are also flavors of 1868 proof coinage (1c, $1 gold, $3, if memory serves) wth 180 rotation. Finally, the 1865 $2.50 proof in the Smithsonian also has upset dies.
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wouldn't a die rotation and a cud be errors and not varieties??
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,374 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>There are also flavors of 1868 proof coinage (1c, $1 gold, $3, if memory serves) wth 180 rotation. >>

I recently purchased an 1872 Indian cent proof that has 180 rotation from Rick Snow, who said it was the only one of the 1872's that he was aware of.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    seateddimeseateddime Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭
    Seek an you shall find!

I seldom check PM's but do check emails often jason@seated.org

Buying top quality Seated Dimes in Gem BU and Proof.

Buying great coins - monster eye appeal only.
  • Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,374 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome coin, Seateddime! Congratulations on your purchase!

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file