Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How much of your coin "fun" are Inet coin boards?...poll

topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
How much fun would you have collecting coins if there were no coin forums?

Would you expect RELATIVES to enjoy em?

Would you collect more.....or less?

Comments

• Options
    I've been collecting for almost 30 years - I've only been on the forums for 2 - so I guess the other 28 years were ok. image
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    FC....mebbe they were ....foreplay.

• Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    I could have plenty of fun collecting without them -- I did for many years -- but I do find two things to be true with forums around:

(1) My interest level remains constantly high instead of waning and peaking periodically;

(2) It gives me an opportunity, sometimes, to live vicariously through the coins of others and in so doing, perhaps giving me something to do coin-related which doesn't always result in...spending money on more coins. image

FWIW, I voted for 25% with a slight bias toward the "over".
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    Before I joined here, I had only the weekly Coin World, knew no other collectors, and attended the two local shows a year. So for me, this board is a big factor.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    A pretty big part for me. My wife hardly cares about coins and I don't have any nearby collecting friends. Beyond my shopping for coins (online) and looking at and photographing my coins, this is the place to be.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    wam98wam98 Posts: 2,685
    50% for me. The other half is hunting and hoarding. To me this US Coin forum is the greatest place for sharing and knowledge. image
    Wayne
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I voted 50% as well; I love buying and looking at my coins, but as far as sharing with others, my wife just glances at them and says "that's nice, dear" (and winces at some of the pricetags) and one kind of has to keep it secret among friends and neighbors (loose lips sink ships), so it's really nice to have you guys to share pictures and discussions with! image

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    dthigpendthigpen Posts: 3,932 ✭✭
    25% - It gives me something to do at work image
  • Options
    dimplesdimples Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭
    ditto
  • Options
    marmacmarmac Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭
    I hang on the fringes of message board but I voted 50%. I look at the meassage board as foreplay to a coin show or coin shop visit. It gets me "pumped" be for I go.

Plus there are always a few threads that amuse me enough to help get me thru my day in my cubicle.
  • Options
    VeepVeep Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭✭
    Less than 10% as you can see from my 655 posts in almost four years. I do enjoy some of the board topics. I've learned some stuff and tried to help others when I'm qualified to. I'm just not able to hang out here very much.
    "Let me tell ya Bud, you can buy junk anytime!"
  • Options
    I would say a relatively high percentage, but I don't think it has anything to do with the internet message board environment per se, but rather, the ready availability of a coin community with which to share coin stuff.

If I could afford to maintain a staff of hundreds of on-call coin nerds in a spare room in my house, for example, I don't think the message boards would be half as exciting.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file