Home U.S. Coin Forum

How many coins in your collection were pictured in an auction catalog?

ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,771 ✭✭✭✭
Much to my surprise, it recently occured to me that I have none.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!

Comments

• 1, a 1923-s Lincoln.
  • 1 Bust Half... it has appeared in 3 Auction Catalogs... 2001, 2000, and 1940... image
    -George
    42/92
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I was hitting the auctions a lot in the 1980's most of my purchases came from auctions, and most were pictured.
    Today, maybe a dozen or so.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • One.

1857 small date Large Cent. EAC MS 63 lots of mint red. Was NGC 64RB, now raw

Wanted one since I was a kid.

From the Superior 9-5-04 Ronnie Adam,John Ward and C.Douglas Smith copper auction.Lot 1149.

Shoedog
  • I had 14 when I sold my Registry set of proof Barber quarters. There were also 6 or so of my Franklin halfs that were sold in the same sale also pictured in the catalog.
  • seanqseanq Posts: 8,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know of one, a clipped 1866 Shield Nickel With Rays. It was plated in the catalog for the Superior auction at the New York ANA in 2002. I bought it some time later from Fred Weinberg and recognized it. About six months ago I upgraded the example in my type set, auctioned the '66 on eBay, and lost my shirt. image

I tried twice to buy a clipped 1812 large cent from Heritage that was plated in the catalog for the Michael Arconti large cent error collection. Heritage still owns it.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • RonyahskiRonyahski Posts: 3,117 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have many, since I concentrate on classic toned pieces. My favorite is an 1878 Proof Twenty Cent piece, pictured on the back of the Benson II catalogue.
    Some refer to overgraded slabs as Coffins. I like to think of them as Happy Coins.
  • mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Just one that I'm aware of. The 1906 proof Indian cent I just got from the Richmond part II auction.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • NicNic Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Over half. Some 100 years ago. K
  • My 1889CC Morgan in NGC Good-4 was pictured on the Heritage Sale website. Does that count??image
    morgannut2
  • My 1906 Barber 10c PCGS PR63 ex; Benson. In Session 1 - lot #589 (scroll around on the left of page). Many beautiful runs of Proofs of all denominations and other MS material there for those that have not seen them. A lot of fiery Wayte Redmond tatget toning on much of the 19th century Proofs.

Goldberg Auction Catalog Feb. 2002

Billy image

PS - Thanks to all for the good wishes re my arm. Waiting for tests etc - talking meds. Sleeping is near impossible though - unless I am sitting up image
  • SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My 1893S Morgan $ in VF30 was in the Superior auction catalog last January (that's where I bought itimageimage )

Steve
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,059 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My 94 was in the Heritage FUN sig auction last January so I spose its in an awkshun catalog smoewheres!!
    theknowitalltroll;
  • TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why, I don't know....But back when Teletrade used to mail out auction booklets, I bought an AU-55 1865 2-cent that was on the cover. Truly a famous and important coin!
    Easily distracted Type Collector
  • northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A dozen or so. One is a colonial pine tree shilling that was the first coin in the auction catalogue from a year or two ago. Another two are a first year of issue of the early gold $5 and $10 from a catalogue two or three years ago. None of those three were in 3rd party grading holders.
  • None here.
    Stacy

Sleep well tonight for the 82nd Airborne Division is on point for the nation.
    AIRBORNE!
  • GeminiGemini Posts: 3,085
    My sig coin which came from the Springfield Mass Library and Museums Society coin collection that was auctioned off in 1981 by Bowers and Ruddy.

A thing of beauty is a joy for ever
  • Almost all of them. Except for a couple that were pictured in Breen.
  • ldhairldhair Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Several that were bought years ago. None that were bought the last 15 or so years.
    I keep telling myself I want to start going to auctions again. Just don't seem to do it.image
    Larry

• darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    I probably own ten coins that were pictured. Now for the next step were they the small pics, 1/4 page,1/2, or full page picturesimage. mike
  • saintgurusaintguru Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭
    Probably close to 20.
  • I have a few Wayne Miller plate coins from his Morgan and Peace dollar textbook.

• NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭✭✭
    About 30 early half dollars.

By Overton number:

1805 101,104,106,107,108,109,110,112,113
    1806 102,103,104,106,109,111a,114a,116,120,125
    1807 101,103a,106,107,108

Also some FH and CBH halves.
    Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • TrimeTrime Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭
    The majority (hundreds).
    Trime

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file