Home Buy, Sell & Trade - Cards & Memorabilia
Options

Grading/collecting standards for 19th century cards

I spent a lovely day today thumbing through my small collection of 19th century tobacco cards. While dreaming about the additions that will soon be showing up at my office, I got to thinking. Rare is the stack of cards that made it from the 1800s and early 1900s (up to, say, 1910) without some sort of glue marks or staining or paper loss on the back, especially those issues where the back contains only generic advertising for the product. As I'm relatively new to this area of collecting, I'm hoping to learn from the board:
1. How do the big 3 graders stand on back damage (glue, stains, paper loss, etc.)
2. How do you feel about that kind of damage on the backs of your cards?

N213

N129

Edited: T68

Mark (amerbbcards)

"All evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing."

Comments

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mark
    Great question and I wouldn't mind learning more about the grading aspect. With respect to your two questions: #1 not sure; #2 I can accept just about any centering as long as the border can be seen - paper loss and glue stains on baseball issues would be a killer except maybe for the real scarce items like the T3 - I'll accept just about anything there. I can give more wiggle room to the non-sport especially since I don't have them graded - I like the narratives but it's the pics that I like more. I would be more likely to have a non-sport set framed than sports e.g.
    On #1, if you were to send something to PSA with paper loss, glue, water stains etc. on the back - expect to get killed IMO.
    your friend
    Mike

ps: box in mail today and that sweet caporal is nice!
    Mike
  • Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭

<< <i>ps: box in mail today and that sweet caporal is nice! >>

Mike thanks and thanks - I was thinking how nice it would look holdered, but it may not happen.
    Mark (amerbbcards)

• Options
    Mark,

Just FYI, The last card you have listed there is a T68 (not T218). I can safely say PSA would give it a 1 image.

I've actually got a batch of T68s ready to go soon so I can complete my set, and I included a few lower grade cards on purpose to help answer the same questions you are asking here. I'll share the results when the are done (once I get off my lazy butt and send in the order) ...

Robert
  • Options
    MorrellManMorrellMan Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭
    Robert - of course it's a T68 - thanks for the proofread.image
    Mark (amerbbcards)

• Options
    all the major grading company's you mentioned are very harsh on paper loss and glue damage on backs. even if a card appears nm they are downgraded to good.thats my observations on t 205 and 206's.
  • Options
    Milder staining didn't prevent a PSA 5 grade on this one.

Some stray ink (?) marks on this one didn't force a lower grade either.

And here's another PSA 5 with staining somewhat similar to the scans you posted ...

Seems like there's a pretty decent level of tolerance - my understanding is that paper loss on the back is much more costly in terms of lowering the grade.

Robert

edited to add: Figured it was just a d'oh! image