Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Your Greatest Auction...

MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
Name the one auction that gave the biggest boost to your collection. What did you get? Looking back, did you make any mistakes?

My choice is B&R's Sieck Collection, sold at the 1981 ANA. That's where I bought my first three 1877 Morgan Half Dollars, the beginning of a nine year quest to acquire all of the different 1877 Morgan halves in silver. BTW, I never came close to completing the set, but I had a great time trying.
Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

Comments

• Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    An estate auction (live, not Internet) in Texas. Among my purchases were 5 1979 proof sets for about $30. All were type 2s!

Internt, a seller listing "flawed" 1959 proof sets. The halves were spotted. But the quarters were frosty! Asked if he had more.... 17 more sets. 20 of the 22 quarters went into CAM holders, most 67 or 68.

Internet. 11 raw Ikes for $18. Scored an MS67 1976-P Type 2, as well as an MS66 of the same.
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    gemtone65gemtone65 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭
    The Superior 1975 ANA sale comes to mind. I acquired J.1115 in PCGS Pr65RD for $750, and J927A PCGS pr66 for $500. I also purchased 2 gem toned PCGS Pr66 halves for around $500 apiece. I also acquired an 1803 AU dollar for $1900, which I later traded for a PCGS MS66 18.11 half dollar along with several other type coins. And, there was no buyer's fee!
  • Options
    The auction of an estate at the old time auction house, Weschler's here in D.C. The firm wasn't given time to catelogue all the coins by the court, and I bought a roll of unc. common Morgans for $175, and another roll of 1883-O Morgans that had 2 AU 1894-P's and one AU 1895-0 HIDDEN inside for $235! At todays prices that's over $5,000 for the three coins plus the other 37 unc. Morgans. Next best would be a raw 1893-S Morgan at Bowers/Merena in Balitimore for $1,610 in 2001 that somehow graded PCGS VF-30.
    morgannut2
  • Options
    The B&M Sale of Russ Logan's collection gave me the biggest boost to my "Numismatic Knowledge Collection." image
    -George
    42/92
  • Options
    The Superior 1975 ANA sale comes to mind.

Great sale! Probaby one of the best five of all time for Bust Dollars. I'm sorry I missed it, but I was 15 at the time and not much of a road warrior yet.
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    The B&M Sale of Russ Logan's collection gave me the biggest boost to my "Numismatic Knowledge Collection."

Another great sale!
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    I love the Pattern Bust Half struck in Platinum! image I don't remember the exact number, but I think it's somewhere in the range of 36 punches of the Letter P plus the word "Platina" artfully engrraved into the surface. image Really cool coin!! image
    -George
    42/92
  • Options
    The auction of an estate at the old time auction house, Weschler's here in D.C.

Morgannut - I once bought an 1836 pattern gold dollar there. Somehow, I had to pay all the money for it. How come you get all the rips?
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    A half roll of 34-D Peace $ that seems to contain 6 VAM-4 coins all in AU/MS grades for $160.00. The other 4 coins aren't VAM-4s but are MS.

TPN
  • Options
    Mr Eureka: I end up overpaying for just about everything at Weschler's now that coins are in the news. The only two times I did well was when I went to a regular Tuesday auction and they gave a handout that there was a special Wednesday sale due to court/probate timing. Usually its impossible to get a deal because they're diligent to list every coin's date by lot and most bidders terribly overgrade the raw stuff. The last time they had a Morgan set (no '93-S, '94) a lot of coins actually still had old fashioned silver polish on them and they still went for over retail!! Same with some GSA CC Morgan group lots. The only Monday/Tuesday deal in 2003 for me was a complete set ('32-'64) of Washingtons in VG/VF for $160. However recently a lesser set brought over $350 so everyone's caught on. Oh well it was fun while it lasted. Hey I missed that gold pattern! How much could you really overpay anyway!
    morgannut2
  • Options
    saintgurusaintguru Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭
    Heritage Long Beach Sept. 2003. They had the Davis Collection of Saints...all old green holders, many key dates...I got 3 of 4 upgraded and they were SOLID for the grade!!! I only wish I had bought more...I wonder how many others were potentials?? image
  • Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    My biggest find was an 1876 trade dollar I bought via eBay that was clearly a type II/II. I must have been the only trade dollar collector watching it because I got it at the same price as a I/I or I/II.
    Obscurum per obscurius

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file