Home Sports Talk
Options

Jackson gonna slip to Dallas..

I hope so crossing fingers on this one..

Comments

• Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    I can't believe my bucs passed on him! ARRRRRGGGGGGGGGG

JS
  • Options
    What the................?????????/

Unless they got something else in the works..
  • Options
    KOBEcollectorKOBEcollector Posts: 3,873 ✭✭
    No Jackson !

Not the Jones i thought but Julious Jones will be a good back for us

Due to the trade we will have 2 first rounders next year

Looks like Bill is building for the future
  • Options
    looking at the #'s Julius could be a steal

Julius Jones
    229 1268 5.5 10

Steven Jackson
    350 1545 4.4 19

Kevin Jones
    281 1647 5.9 21

Tatum Bell
    213 1286 6.0 16

The numbers are pretty comparable, and Julius Jones didn't benefit from nearly as much talent as Kevin Jones and Tatum Bell did. Notre Dame's O-line was horrible and there was no passing game to take the heat off him. He was the target. Yet he still managed THREE 200 yard rushing games and a 5.5 ypc average a full yard higher than Steven Jackson. (though Jackson had a terrible O-line as well)
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    I watched him play for 4 years, would not have guessed he would go second round. Good college player at ND, but fumbled way too much and no break-away speed. He seems to gotten over his tendency to get ankle tackled easily. Not a star quality player and the comparisons to E. Smith are silly. All I can say is hummmmmmmmmm.
  • Options
    I look for Jones to be something like Kevin Faulk is in the Patriots system (which is kinda funny when you think about it.) The picks they got and later picks they were able to work on that O Line in Dallas which should help the QBs as well as Hambrick and Jones. Next year look for them to go for the Best Back they can get and if they have to they will be in position to get a top QB since that could still be a problem area for them
  • Options
    << I watched him play for 4 years, would not have guessed he would go second round. Good college player at ND, but fumbled way too much and no break-away speed. He seems to gotten over his tendency to get ankle tackled easily. Not a star quality player and the comparisons to E. Smith are silly. All I can say is hummmmmmmmmm. >>

Not really worried about his fumbling and i don't think it will be a problem in the pros. Ahman Green had a fumbling problem at one time but he is fine now

His 40 times were faster than Jackson and Jones. He looks to be pretty quick and nimble to me. He will break some long runs for the Cowboys

Between the videos i've seen of him and the many written reviews i've read he dosen't seem to be the type of runner thats going to be ankle tackled

Emmitt was not a high pick coming into the league and did not have breakaway speed. Even Michael Irvin himself said there were simularities between the 2

I expect Julius to gain 1300 yrds for the Boys next year

• Options

<< <i><< I watched him play for 4 years, would not have guessed he would go second round. Good college player at ND, but fumbled way too much and no break-away speed. He seems to gotten over his tendency to get ankle tackled easily. Not a star quality player and the comparisons to E. Smith are silly. All I can say is hummmmmmmmmm. >>

Not really worried about his fumbling and i don't think it will be a problem in the pros. Ahman Green had a fumbling problem at one time but he is fine now

His 40 times were faster than Jackson and Jones. He looks to be pretty quick and nimble to me. He will break some long runs for the Cowboys

Between the videos i've seen of him and the many written reviews i've read he dosen't seem to be the type of runner thats going to be ankle tackled

Emmitt was not a high pick coming into the league and did not have breakaway speed. Even Michael Irvin himself said there were simularities between the 2

I expect Julius to gain 1300 yrds for the Boys next year >>

1300? lol, thanks for the laugh
    The man, the myth, the legend....#24.....CHAMP BAILEY!!!
  • Options
    <<1300? lol, thanks for the laugh >>

Hey Einstien before you open your mouth maybe you should think about the situation a bit more

First of all Julius will be the feature back for the Cowboys

Secondly their offensive line is a decent line and after drafting 2 solid o-lineman and a blocking T.E in this years draft it will be even better. Larry Allens future is still up in the air . Any decent back besides Hambrick last year would've gained many more yrds than he did

And lastly 1300 yrds avg.d out over a 16 gm season is only 80 yrds a game !!

You act like i predicted the guy to rush for 120 yrds a gm or something
  • Options
    appears im not the only person who thinks Julius will have a pretty big impact this year

Rotoworld reports J.Jones is the best fantasy prospect on the rookies entering the NFL

RotoWorld?s Top 10 Fantasy Rooks

1. Julius Jones, RB ? Dallas Cowboys

Like any fantasy list, it?s tough not to take a running back first. Jones is #1 because he?s virtually guaranteed to be the primary running back on a team that will run. Some Cowboys fans were disappointed in the pick, but Jones had four 200+ yards games behind a weak offensive line at Notre Dame. As long as he can understand the offense, Jones can rack up over 1,100 yards. Who?s going to beat him out? Aveion Cason?

2. Kellen Winslow, TE ? Cleveland Browns

You usually only hear the words ?position scarcity? in fantasy baseball. It applies here to the abysmal tight end pool in fantasy football and increases Winslow?s value. As long as he doesn?t hold out, Winslow should gain over 800 yards and be a Top 4 fantasy tight end as a rookie.

3. Tatum Bell, RB ? Denver Broncos

We see the Broncos backfield situation working out in one of two ways. 1. Denver uses a running-back-by- committee approach for most of the season, sharing carries between Bell, Quentin Griffin, and Garrison. 2. Bell impresses the coaches like we think he can and wins the job outright in short order.

Because of the uncertainty involved, we?ll list Bell at #3 for now. A strong training camp would easily vault him to the top of this list. If the situation is still uncertain going into the season, Bell is a perfect choice for the gambling fantasy owner. He?s got 1,500 yard upside.

4. Larry Fitzgerald, WR ? Arizona Cardinals

Fitzgerald is as close to a sure thing as a rookie wide receiver can be. Dennis Green?s offense makes wideouts look good, and Fitzgerald is polished. History suggests there are no sure things, so we?ll reluctantly list him fourth. Josh McCown at QB doesn?t help matters.

5. Kevin Jones, RB ? Detroit Lions

Because of his East-West running style, this Jones is a riskier pick. Like Julius, Kevin should be the favorite to get the majority of carries on his team. The problem is that Steve Mariucci prefers a running-back-by-committee approach, especially with a rookie. Artose Pinner and Shawn Bryson (ugh) could steal carries. More importantly, they could steal goal-line opportunities from Jones, who is undersized.

6. Steven Jackson, RB ? St. Louis Rams

Okay, he doesn?t have the opportunity to be ?the man? right away. We?d still take him over the WR crop because of Marshall Faulk?s knees. Faulk underwent significant offseason surgery for the second straight year. He missed five games last season and hasn?t played 16 games since 1999.

If Steven Jackson is the primary running back in St. Louis for only four games in 2004, then he?s worth more than the wideouts listed below.

7. Reggie Williams, WR ? Jacksonville Jaguars

This kid oozes confidence and hard work. He?ll start opposite a legit #1 receiver in Jimmy Smith. He?ll catch passes from Byron Leftwich, who has a chanc
  • Options
    Jones

Experts will be singing a different tune about the Boys draft when they realize Julius was a steal in the 2nd plus we get the Bills #1 next year which might end up being a top 5 pick
  • Options
    Don't set your hopes too high. Many analists beleived there were no outstanding NFL caliber backs in the draft this year (including it seems Parcells). Therefore, why burn a first round pick on an average back, even if he is the best average back in the draft?

Only time will tell, but could be a shrewd move by Parcells. I for one am inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt.
    Collecting PSA and BGS 500 HR & 3000 Hit Club Baseball
    HOF Quarterbacks Football
  • Options
    hey vikes, it might be true there were no outstanding backs coming out this year but you don't have to be an outstanding back to rush for 80 yrds a game as a rc.

Just look at Dominic Davis last year. The guy was a 4th rd pick and he played terrific

btw, you guys have had a good offseason so far, should be a fun week 1. Vikes vs. Boys :-)
  • Options
    Can't wait. I haven't said this for a few years but the Vikings are a legitimate Superbowl contender this year.
  • Options
    Jones will be fine in Dallas. I am from South Bend and watched him during his college career. He is a hard runner which is what Parcells likes. He also can catch the ball on the swing, again, what Parcells likes. Think Curtis Martin (3rd rounder), not Emmit Smith. Parcells knows running backs, and is a good coach for the backs. Breakaway speed? At 4.4 in the 40, he was right up there with the top backs drafted, and infact ahead of most. He is a patient runner, who finds the hole, is an above average blocker, and a good screen pass back. I don't think any of the top 5 or 6 backs seperated themselves from the others, and that is infact while Parcells chose to wait. He was looking toward Perry, Bell, and Jones in the second round. Who knows what order of preference. Julius started 17 of 45 games for the Irish, carrying 634 times for 3,018 yards (4.8 avg.) and 26 touchdowns, joining Vagas Ferguson (3,472, 1976-79), Allen Pinkett (4,131, 1982-85) and Autry Denson (4,318, 1995-98) as the only players in school history to gain over 3,000 yards rushing in a career … His 634 rushing attempts rank fourth in school annals … Added 250 yards and a score on 28 catches and 426 yards with a touchdown on 38 punt returns (11.2 avg.) … Also had 72 kickoff returns for 1,678 yards (23.3 avg.) and a score, breaking the old Irish all-time record of 1,613 yards by Tim Brown (1984-87) … His total kick return yards of 2,104 broke Brown's previous school record of 2,089 … His 5,372 all-purpose yards topped the old Notre Dame all-time record of 5,327 by Denson.
    certifiedsilverdollar.com
    A site dedicated to the sale of rare and high MS grade Morgan and Peace Silver Dollars. All coins are graded by ICG, PCGS, NGC, or Anacs, and are priced well below PCGS values.
  • Options
    aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    vikesfan40 - What do you think of your new defensive co-ordinator?
  • Options
    interesting #'s

Steven jackson vs USC-22 carries for 62 yards 2.8 YPC

Julius Jones vs USC-18 carries for 84 yards and 4.7 YPC

Steven Jackson vs Stanford-21 for 148 7 YPC

julius Jones vs stanford-23 for 218 9.5 YPC

steven jackson vs washington state 28 for 85 3 YPC

Julius Jones vs washington State 11 for 72 6.5 YPC
    (julius wasnt a full time starter yet)
  • Options
    I liked what the Vikings did on D last year. I know they slipped once the league figured out they had no speed at linebacker but their defense was much improved. Kevin Williams provided help with QB pressure and was playing like a pro bowler the last 3 games, and the secondary led the league in ints.

Once they started playing some of the younger quicker lbs they were actually pretty good. Udezie still being around at #19 was a gift from above. I would have liked to have kept the old d coordinator because I think he was on to something.

I hear the new guy likes the 3-4. I just hope they don't take a step backwards. He has had some success previously, we'll see?
  • Options
    Here's Dr Z's opinion:

C-
    DALLAS COWBOYS -- With the entire spectrum of running backs to choose from, Parcells traded out of the round, picked up another No. 1 for next year and in the second round chose a breathtakingly fast (4.45) fumbler, Julius Jones. If the guy gains 1500 yards, I will personally get out of the draft rating business and go into something more sensible, such as haberdashery. Later in the second round the Cowboys took T Jacob Rogers, a converted TE. Converted tight end? What happened to the kind of guys Parcells used to draft, Bob Kratch, Karl Nelson, William Roberts, that bunch?

Heya certifiedsilverdollar you are a neighbor. I live in Mishawaka and have been sitting on the 35 yard line 23 rows up for years. I saw Paul Hornung play at the stadium. I hope Julius has a fantastic career, but after watching him for the past 5 years I will be very surprised if he does. He will cough up the ball and he will get injured unless history doesn't repeat itself. If I were a betting man I would be in two years someone else will be starting in Dallas.
  • Options
    All I can say is hmmmm. Jones fumbled often at Dallas, got hurt, showed the same lazy attitude in Dallas he did at ND. Guess next time someone who has watched a kid play is entire college career tenders and honest opinion, it should not be so easily discounted. image
  • Options
    Jones fumbled often at Dallas. Often ? Not sure about that . The guy has a broken shoulder or some crap. He's not the first player to break a bone . Lets give the guy some games to play before we analize the guys career
  • Options
    kuhlmannkuhlmann Posts: 3,326 ✭✭
    kobecollector

with geting buff ist round pick and one of our own. i dont know if jones will be the man. parcells already got pissed at him about tuffness. might see a stud back in d next year.
  • Options
    Im excited also about Buffalos pick that we get because it's looking like it will be a high pick. I still say i need to see the guy play at least a season to see what he's really made of. Can't give up on him so soon
  • Options
    Jones history at ND was one of inconsistency, always wondering when he would feel up to playing, fumbling and then having a great game. No one never knew which Jones was going to show up Monday or Saturday. If you don't believe this coming from a fifty plus year ND fan than so be it. Can he be a good NFL player, yes but will he? And did he deserve being picked in the first round. Don't forget this is the same guy who had to sit out a year from school simply because he took it no more seriously than some games.

Of course anyone can suffer broken bones, however the NFL is replete with backs who had a lot of talent but were injury prone. Blame it on physiology, running style, size or just knowing when to take a hit and when to not take one, Jones history at ND was one of being prone to injuries. Sometimes things are coincidences and sometimes they are not.

Edited to add: He justn't seem like the type of player that Parcells is known for tolerating or surrounding himself with.
  • Options
    Mike, i don't follow the college game as much as the pro game so im not doubting anything you say about him and his days at ND. I thought i did hear how he turned his college career around at one point though. I love my Cowboys and im willing to see what the guy has. He looked impressive to me in a couple pre-season games and im hoping he comes back from this injury to contribute to the team. I have a feeling it might take a while to get Parcells to trust him though. Perhaps he'll get a shot next year as the starter we'll have to wait and see.

Dave
  • Options

<< <i>Here's Dr Z's opinion:

C-
    DALLAS COWBOYS -- With the entire spectrum of running backs to choose from, Parcells traded out of the round, picked up another No. 1 for next year and in the second round chose a breathtakingly fast (4.45) fumbler, Julius Jones. If the guy gains 1500 yards, I will personally get out of the draft rating business and go into something more sensible, such as haberdashery. Later in the second round the Cowboys took T Jacob Rogers, a converted TE. Converted tight end? What happened to the kind of guys Parcells used to draft, Bob Kratch, Karl Nelson, William Roberts, that bunch?

Heya certifiedsilverdollar you are a neighbor. I live in Mishawaka and have been sitting on the 35 yard line 23 rows up for years. I saw Paul Hornung play at the stadium. I hope Julius has a fantastic career, but after watching him for the past 5 years I will be very surprised if he does. He will cough up the ball and he will get injured unless history doesn't repeat itself. If I were a betting man I would be in two years someone else will be starting in Dallas. >>

imageRepeating his college career at ND, misses next game will be 11.5 out of 24. It's a shame with all that talent too. But what do I know. image
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    talk about digging up an old one ! image

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    Good college player at ND, but fumbled way too much and no break-away speed. He seems to gotten over his tendency to get ankle tackled easily. Not a star quality player

Ya, you sure nailed that one image
  • Options

<< <i>talk about digging up an old one ! image >>

Well once in awhile when you predict something it happens. image