Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Nikon Coolpix 4300 for coins??

I was just at Staples and they are closing out the Nikon Coolpix 4300 for $279. This seems like a good buy on this camera. Has anyone used this model and either like dor disliked it for shooting both coins and basic family pics?

Thanks in advance,
Jay

Comments

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think I've heard good reviews for the camera... never used it, though. I prefer the 4500, which has a swiveling lens so I can use a mini tripod--really convenient, especially for shooting on the go.

Jeremy
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    RKKayRKKay Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭
    I have never been a good photographer, but use the 4300. I'm getting better and think it is great. Look on my website. Almost all the pix are from my 4300.

EDITED TO ADD: OOPS! Mine is a 4500, like Jeremy's.image
  • Options
    mtnmanmtnman Posts: 569 ✭✭✭
    I have a 4300 and feel like I'm getting better with it. Go to the BST board and check out
    K6AZ's thread. He uses a 4300 and takes awsome pictures.
  • Options

<< <i>I have a 4300 and feel like I'm getting better with it. Go to the BST board and check out
    K6AZ's thread. He uses a 4300 and takes awsome pictures. >>

Yep, Erice takes great pics. When/if you get the camera, I'm sure he would be willing to give you tips.
  • Options
    If you don't buy it, I will! image I have a Sony Cybershot, but I think the Nikon Coolpix (even the model 4300) is better.
    Author of MrKelso's official cheat thread words of wisdom on 5/30/04. image
    imageimage
    Check out a Vanguard Roth IRA.
  • Options
    The 4300 is what I use, great camera, great price.

All I need is a good copy stand and I'll be good to go.

Herbimage
    Remember it's not how you pick your nose that matters, it's where you put the boogers.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I picked up a Nikon 4200 recently. I love it. Great macro ability.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    ddbirdddbird Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, the 4300 is the older model! Great camera! Im getting the newer 4200 for Christmas! I can't wait! A new 4200 should only cost you about $400, but the other camera is well worth that price~
  • Options
    K6AZK6AZ Posts: 9,295
    Shot with a Nikon 4300:

• Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    Great pics guys! What kind of light are you using? Did you use a flash? And did you t-up the photos?
  • Options
    For the image I posted, I used a pair of Reveal bulbs for the lighting. I do not photoshop my images except to crop and size.
  • Options
    Same with mine. I used a reveal bulb also. Nothing at all done to that pic except its cropped big time because the original was huge.
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    It's a great camera, and that's a great price. Just got home from New Orleans and the camera is point and shoot:

Very small learning curve for photos, coins are a little harder and take some practice (getting the lighting right is hard, and I still need to practice some more):

But I think you will be happy with the results that you get with it.

Becky
  • Options
    The Nikon 4300 Coolpix is what I use. Great camera in my opinion. image
    Wayne
  • Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,656 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Looks like you guys are having good luck with this camera. How much memory would you buy for it?

Jay
  • Options
    I use a 64mb card. It is more than enough for my needs, though the last time I was in Best Buy the smallest they carried was 128mb, which should be more than you will ever need, unless you go away on a trip for some time.
  • Options
    I like 128 if you plan on using it for other stuff also.
  • Options
    robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭
    jrocco's image from the 4200 looks vastly superior to the 4300 shots shown here, nearly all of which showed some level of graininess and color inconsistancy, IMHO. They all are very good shots though.

If you're using a c-stand though I don't understand how anyone could possibly live without the swiveling lens on the 4300.
  • Options
    Thanks Robert. The 4200 can really capture a coins luster also.
  • Options
    jomjom Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ANY Nikon is a great camera. I'm still using my sucky old Coolpix 950.

jom
  • Options
    I don't have a 4300 or even a Nikon but the 4300 is the best camera for taking Macro images which is what we do . I have a Fuji Finepix4900 and its great but from what I have read and seen the 4300 is tops.

The D.O.T.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file