Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Need counterfeit gold diagnostics help.

jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
A group of One dollar gold coins came in today. After looking at tthem closer some appear to be counterfiet. can anyone help me with identification?

the dates are as follows:

1874 and 1889 appear to have those two small lumps near the O in Of,

the other dates

1849 Looks nice and crisp
(2) 1854 Ty II's

thanks

jim

Comments

• Options
    ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,196 ✭✭✭✭✭
    please visit my web site...go to current inventory....see section under products for coin dealers....we sell a great product called a FISCH detector....
    Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • Options
    USMC_6115USMC_6115 Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How do they work?
  • Options
    I think his FISCH detector will only work if the counterfeiter shorted the gold fineness or weight. Most of the Lebanon (and other) fakes from the 1940's and later are almost always up to mint standard for wight and fineness. (in some cases even greater than mint standard.)
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Images, please.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options

Jim,

Here are some things to look for on the 1874:

GENUINE
    1) should have a diameter of .591
    2) 1874 gold dollars were struck from worn, deteriorated dies, so 1874 dollars usually don't show much luster. Also, the reverse die will show a lot of wear (coin will have weak details).
    3) look at the dentils; they should be evenly spaced and uniform.

COUNTERFEIT
    1) there are multiple known counterfeits for 1874, but one is oversized in diameter at .594. Some counterfeits are the correct diameter.
    2) beware of 1874 dollars that have too much luster (too good to be true).
    3) the counterfeit will have sharper details than the genuine 1874.
    4) one known counterfeit has a small pit to the right of "R" in DOLLAR and 2 small pits to the right of "4" in the date.
    5) I like to look at the 2 flowers at the top of the reverse on gold dollars. Compare them to a genuine coin, as the counterfeits are usually different.
    6) I know it's easy to say, but I like to look at the "fabric" of each coin. We just had a counterfeit $5 Lib come in last week that was mixed with about 20 other genuine coins. It just stood out like a sore thumb (luster was wrong).

NOTE: diagnostics used in my post are from Lonesome John's book on counterfeit gold.
    www.jaderarecoin.com - Updated 6/8/06. Many new coins added!

Our eBay auctions - TRUE auctions: start at $0.01, no reserve, 30 day unconditional return privilege & free shipping!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file