Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Anyone have piks of 1969 s Lincoln DDO & Strike Doubling

Hey all,
Read the Cherrypickers, and a couple different other articles defining the differances between strike doubling and doubled dies, but when it comes to the 1969 S Lincoln it all goes out the window and is confusing, and was hoping you all versed on the 1969 s DDO 1 cent
could post some piks of not only the 69s DDO but of 69s Strike Doubling as well, and also since I could'nt locate any info on 69s DDO Varietys if there are any, especially DDO's of the 69s that exibit the DDO to a lesser degree, help me, I'm sooooo confused.

Eastside
Promote The Hobby and Make it a Positive Experience for all, Remember That this Hobby Can Be Fun & Profitable & Profit is Always FUN

Comments

• Options
    There is a picture that gives a good example of strike doubling common to 1969 in Coppercoins new book (page 227). Have you checked his website?
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is MD on a 69S
    imageimage
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    shylockshylock Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Thanks, and no I hav'nt been to Coppercoins site, I'll try using that name, and thats a picture I hav'nt seen before, but is described as a doubled strike concerning a doubled mintmark, I am unfamiliar with the designation MD though, thanks for the pik, I've come across an example thats in VF to XF, and shows doubling in the word "trust"
    and the Date but not on the mintmark, or Liberty, about the only part that resembles a true 69 s DDO is the date, with as my kid stated it the fat date.

I'd post a pic but am ignorant on how to do so, and only have a scanner to work with.

Eastside
    Promote The Hobby and Make it a Positive Experience for all, Remember That this Hobby Can Be Fun & Profitable & Profit is Always FUN
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    I believe there is just the one 1969-S DDO. So if you check the link that shylock posted, you'll see what the genuine article looks like. There was a lot of machine (strike) doubling also on 1969-S cents, but notice that on the genuine DDO, the secondary image is rounded. Machine doubling will be flat and shelf-like.

By the way, I've never seen a photo of a 1969-S DDO that nice! Thanks for the photo, shylock.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    I have an OBWR of 69'S that i am afraid to open !
  • Options
    Eastside:

MD is just short for machine doubling. On this particular date (1969S) if you look at the one that shows machine doubling, you'll see doubling on the mint mark. On the 1969S DDO (doubled die obverse) the mint mark is not doubled. image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file